Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default IF green means acetylene, why is Bernzomatic selling propane in dark green?

IF green means acetylene, why is Bernzomatic selling propane in dark
green?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
IF green means acetylene, why is Bernzomatic selling propane in dark
green?

Green does not mean acetylene. From my supplier, it is orange and oxygen,
nitrogen, argon are all green as are some others.

I could not find a definitive color for industrial gas chart, but did find
this from Air Products
http://www.airproducts.com/NR/rdonly...nformation.pdf

.. Virtually all steel cylinder bodies are painted
uniformly dark blue and covered with a
protective plastic diamond mesh.
.. A cylinder neck ring is permanently fixed
below the base of the valve. Each cylinder
neck ring is color-coded to help identify
cylinder contents and gas category (e.g.,
yellow for corrosive, red for flammables).
.. A color-coded shoulder label indicates the
product's shipping name and identification
number. On pure products, a grade label is
also applied to the cylinder shoulder. The
color-coded label border correlates with
neck ring color for product identification.
The shoulder label also specifies gas grade
information.
.. Some cylinders are painted with a vertical
stencil identifying cylinder contents

Medical cylinders will be color coded
http://weldingdesign.com/gases/news/gwd_18131/

Table 1 - Standard names and identifying container colors for medical gases

Standard Name

Standard Color

Medical Air

Yellow

Medical Carbon Dioxide

Gray

Medical Helium

Brown

Medical Nitrogen

Black

Medical Nitrous Oxide

Blue

Medical Oxygen

Green

Mixture or blend of medical gases

Standard colors for each component

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
IF green means acetylene, why is Bernzomatic selling propane in dark
green?

Green does not mean acetylene. From my supplier, it is orange and oxygen,
nitrogen, argon are all green as are some others.

I could not find a definitive color for industrial gas chart, but did find
this from Air Products
http://www.airproducts.com/NR/rdonly...nformation.pdf

Outside of medical, there is no standard color code for gas cylinders.
Different companies use different colors and even the same company uses
different colors. I've had Argon cylinders in teal, maroon, brown and
black all the same size and all from the same company.
Posted to alt.home.repair

They are now owned by Kermit The Frog International?

It's not easy being green! Ask Al Gore, who is Kermit's VP
of environmental concerns.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message
IF green means acetylene, why is Bernzomatic selling propane
in dark
green?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 00:40:05 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 22:07:10 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
IF green means acetylene, why is Bernzomatic selling propane in dark
green?

Green does not mean acetylene.

Oops. I don't know where I got that idea. Thanks for your chart.

From my supplier, it is orange and oxygen,
nitrogen, argon are all green as are some others.

I could not find a definitive color for industrial gas chart, but did find
this from Air Products
http://www.airproducts.com/NR/rdonly...nformation.pdf

Outside of medical, there is no standard color code for gas cylinders.
Different companies use different colors and even the same company uses
different colors. I've had Argon cylinders in teal, maroon, brown and
black all the same size and all from the same company.

Wow.

They deal with safety by the connection into the valves. There are
well over a dozen CGA standards for the connection to cylinders, each
for a classes of gasses. It is pretty hard to connect up the wrong
bottle.

Good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, that's useful. Contradict, but not provide any new
information.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Larry W" wrote in message
In article ,
mm wrote:
IF green means acetylene, why is Bernzomatic selling
propane in dark
green?

Green DOES NOT mean acetylene.

--
There is always an easy solution to every human
problem -- neat,

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.
lonestar. org

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 18:02:59 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE
wrote:

On Feb 21, 9:59*pm, mm wrote:
IF green means acetylene, why is Bernzomatic selling propane in dark
green?

My bottle of acetylene is black, Oxygen is green.

I think my oxygen is red. Oh well. Thank goodness my parents sent
me some place where they taught me to read. I guess it will finally
come in handy with these gases.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 22:00:30 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Well, that's useful. Contradict, but not provide any new
information.

OTOH look at your post just before his, that reminds me about the
Muppet investment in bottled gas.

Knowing I'm wrong is useful.

--
Christopher A. Young