Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default JIS japan

do all JIS standard jap screws have a dot on their heads ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 11:09:53 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

do all JIS standard jap screws have a dot on their heads ?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+all+JIS+standard+jap+screws+have+a+dot+on+th eir+heads+%3F&s=l

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

do all JIS standard jap screws have a dot on their heads ?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+all+JIS+standard+jap+screws+have+a+dot+on+th eir+heads+%3F&s=l

Cheers, T i m

That will have informed the ignorant like you what a JIS screw is....
looks like not all of them have the dot....I have three pieces of
identical jap equipment two have dots one doesn't...

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

do all JIS standard jap screws have a dot on their heads ?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+all+JIS+standard+jap+screws+have+a+dot+on+th eir+heads+%3F&s=l

Cheers, T i m

no point in having this news group if all you can do it google it .....

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

do all JIS standard jap screws have a dot on their heads ?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+all+JIS+standard+jap+screws+have+a+dot+on+th eir+heads+%3F&s=l

Cheers, T i m

That will have informed the ignorant like you what a JIS screw is....
looks like not all of them have the dot....I have three pieces of
identical jap equipment two have dots one doesn't...

they probably don't use them on his sex toys....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

do all JIS standard jap screws have a dot on their heads ?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+all+JIS+standard+jap+screws+have+a+dot+on+th eir+heads+%3F&s=l

Cheers, T i m

no point in having this news group if all you can do it google it .....

https://www.instructables.com/id/Whe...ot-a-Phillips/

"Often improperly referred to as Japanese Phillips. Commonly found
in Japanese equipment. JIS looks much like a Phillips screw (and even
more similar to Frearson), but is designed not to cam out and will,
therefore, be damaged by a Phillips screwdriver if it is too tight.

Heads are usually identifiable by a single raised dot to one side
of the cross slot. JIS B 1012:1985 screw standard is throughout the
Asia market and Japanese imports. The driver has a 57 degree point
with a flat tip, parallel wings.

Advantages and Disadvantages of JIS

Most people and companies outside of Japan have absolutely no idea
what they are. With the similarity in appearance to the Frearson and
the Phillips the screws are often damaged in removing and installing
with the wrong tools. JIS tends not to camout like Philips.

The JIS driver can be used on Phillips quite easily but not reciprocally.

Drivers are not easily available in North America, try your local
RC Airplane hobby shop. Most RC Helicopters use JIS screws to mount
the propeller. JIS-spec cross-head screws are generally marked with a
single raised dot or an "X". JIS always fit Phillip fasteners, but
because of slight design differences, Phillips drivers may not fit
JIS fasteners. (unless the tip is ground down a bit)."

From the comments section of the article at the bottom:

"I have read in service manuals that the dot/dimple found on screws
inside Japanese equipment alerts the technician that the screw conforms
to ISO specifications, not JIS. This refers to the metric THREAD,
not the driver type."

Lots of theories, and specs that cost $90 a copy.

Even if you went to a fastener store, you likely wouldn't
get the correct answer. (We have a fastener store here.)

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

do all JIS standard jap screws have a dot on their heads ?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+all+JIS+standard+jap+screws+have+a+dot+on+th eir+heads+%3F&s=l

Cheers, T i m

no point in having this news group if all you can do it google it .....

https://www.instructables.com/id/Whe...ot-a-Phillips/

Â*Â* "Often improperly referred to as Japanese Phillips. Commonly found
Â*Â*Â* in Japanese equipment. JIS looks much like a Phillips screw (and even
Â*Â*Â* more similar to Frearson), but is designed not to cam out and will,
Â*Â*Â* therefore, be damaged by a Phillips screwdriver if it is too tight.

Â*Â*Â* Heads are usually identifiable by a single raised dot to one side
Â*Â*Â* of the cross slot. JIS B 1012:1985 screw standard is throughout the
Â*Â*Â* Asia market and Japanese imports. The driver has a 57 degree point
Â*Â*Â* with a flat tip, parallel wings.

Â*Â*Â* Advantages and Disadvantages of JIS

Â*Â*Â* Most people and companies outside of Japan have absolutely no idea
Â*Â*Â* what they are. With the similarity in appearance to the Frearson and
Â*Â*Â* the Phillips the screws are often damaged in removing and installing
Â*Â*Â* with the wrong tools. JIS tends not to camout like Philips.

Â*Â*Â* The JIS driver can be used on Phillips quite easily but not
reciprocally.

Â*Â*Â* Drivers are not easily available in North America, try your local
Â*Â*Â* RC Airplane hobby shop. Most RC Helicopters use JIS screws to mount
Â*Â*Â* the propeller. JIS-spec cross-head screws are generally marked with a
Â*Â*Â* single raised dot or an "X". JIS always fit Phillip fasteners, but
Â*Â*Â* because of slight design differences, Phillips drivers may not fit
Â*Â*Â* JIS fasteners. (unless the tip is ground down a bit)."

From the comments section of the article at the bottom:

Â*Â* "I have read in service manuals that the dot/dimple found on screws
Â*Â*Â* inside Japanese equipment alerts the technician that the screw
conforms
Â*Â*Â* to ISO specifications, not JIS. This refers to the metric THREAD,
Â*Â*Â* not the driver type."

Lots of theories, and specs that cost $90 a copy.

Even if you went to a fastener store, you likely wouldn't
get the correct answer. (We have a fastener store here.)

Â*Â* Paul

we don't

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

From the comments section of the article at the bottom:

Â*Â* "I have read in service manuals that the dot/dimple found on screws
Â*Â*Â* inside Japanese equipment alerts the technician that the screw
conforms
Â*Â*Â* to ISO specifications, not JIS. This refers to the metric THREAD,
Â*Â*Â* not the driver type."

Lots of theories, and specs that cost $90 a copy.

Even if you went to a fastener store, you likely wouldn't
get the correct answer. (We have a fastener store here.)

Â*Â* Paul

Easy enough to get good quality JIS screwdrivers via eBay or Amazon,
although not cheap. I bought a couple of very small ones to do a minor
camera repair.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2020 16:57, newshound wrote:
wrote:

do all JIS standard jap screws have a dot on their heads ?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+all+JIS+standard+jap+screws+have+a+dot+on+th eir+heads+%3F&s=l

Cheers, T i m

no point in having this news group if all you can do it google it .....

https://www.instructables.com/id/Whe...ot-a-Phillips/

Â*Â*Â* "Often improperly referred to as Japanese Phillips. Commonly found
Â*Â*Â*Â* in Japanese equipment. JIS looks much like a Phillips screw (and
even
Â*Â*Â*Â* more similar to Frearson), but is designed not to cam out and will,
Â*Â*Â*Â* therefore, be damaged by a Phillips screwdriver if it is too tight.

Â*Â*Â*Â* Heads are usually identifiable by a single raised dot to one side
Â*Â*Â*Â* of the cross slot. JIS B 1012:1985 screw standard is throughout the
Â*Â*Â*Â* Asia market and Japanese imports. The driver has a 57 degree point
Â*Â*Â*Â* with a flat tip, parallel wings.

Â*Â*Â*Â* Advantages and Disadvantages of JIS

Â*Â*Â*Â* Most people and companies outside of Japan have absolutely no idea
Â*Â*Â*Â* what they are. With the similarity in appearance to the Frearson and
Â*Â*Â*Â* the Phillips the screws are often damaged in removing and installing
Â*Â*Â*Â* with the wrong tools. JIS tends not to camout like Philips.

Â*Â*Â*Â* The JIS driver can be used on Phillips quite easily but not
reciprocally.

Â*Â*Â*Â* Drivers are not easily available in North America, try your local
Â*Â*Â*Â* RC Airplane hobby shop. Most RC Helicopters use JIS screws to mount
Â*Â*Â*Â* the propeller. JIS-spec cross-head screws are generally marked
with a
Â*Â*Â*Â* single raised dot or an "X". JIS always fit Phillip fasteners, but
Â*Â*Â*Â* because of slight design differences, Phillips drivers may not fit
Â*Â*Â*Â* JIS fasteners. (unless the tip is ground down a bit)."

Â*From the comments section of the article at the bottom:

Â*Â*Â* "I have read in service manuals that the dot/dimple found on screws
Â*Â*Â*Â* inside Japanese equipment alerts the technician that the screw
conforms
Â*Â*Â*Â* to ISO specifications, not JIS. This refers to the metric THREAD,
Â*Â*Â*Â* not the driver type."

Lots of theories, and specs that cost $90 a copy.

Even if you went to a fastener store, you likely wouldn't
get the correct answer. (We have a fastener store here.)

Â*Â*Â* Paul

Easy enough to get good quality JIS screwdrivers via eBay or Amazon,
although not cheap. I bought a couple of very small ones to do a minor
camera repair.

can you publish a link or two...need to get some....

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

do all JIS standard jap screws have a dot on their heads ?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+all+JIS+standard+jap+screws+have+a+dot+on+th eir+heads+%3F&s=l

Cheers, T i m

That will have informed the ignorant like you what a JIS screw is....
looks like not all of them have the dot....I have three pieces of
identical jap equipment two have dots one doesn't...

Are you sure they are JIS and not some generic €˜cross head out of a cheap
factory somewhere?

Cheap screws dont always follow the recognised standards.

If nothing else, have you ever seen a proper JIS screwdriver in the UK? You
see Phillips and Pozi drive but I dont recall ever seeing a JIS one.

--
https://www.unitedway.org/our-impact...an-trafficking

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

do all JIS standard jap screws have a dot on their heads ?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+all+JIS+standard+jap+screws+have+a+dot+on+th eir+heads+%3F&s=l

Cheers, T i m

That will have informed the ignorant like you what a JIS screw is....
looks like not all of them have the dot....I have three pieces of
identical jap equipment two have dots one doesn't...

Are you sure they are JIS and not some generic €˜cross head out of a cheap
factory somewhere?

Cheap screws dont always follow the recognised standards.

If nothing else, have you ever seen a proper JIS screwdriver in the UK? You
see Phillips and Pozi drive but I dont recall ever seeing a JIS one.

yes japanese JIS standard screws some with punched dots are found on jap
motor bikes and I have them on genuine japanese swr bridges I have here
the 110 and the tal172 which nobody has heard of.....for years I was
using phillips etc drivers but I must get a good set of JIL screwdrivers
after all these years of chewing up nice jap screws.. ..have a close
look at some genuine jap gear you may have and you will see the dot on
the head showing it is JIL standard.....let me know what you find I
would be interested...never noticed it before myself....hope you are
well...we can now go to the caravan starting today....which is good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 17:27:43 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

Easy enough to get good quality JIS screwdrivers via eBay or Amazon,
although not cheap. I bought a couple of very small ones to do a minor
camera repair.

can you publish a link or two...need to get some....

Please?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=JIS+screwdrivers

Maybe he can pop round and do your dinner (cook stuff from your free
food handout), give you a bed bath and any other little jobs you cba
to do yourself?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Im familiar with the JIS dot etc. The points I was making we

Not everyone makes their screws to one of the standards. Some cheap screws
have some vague x head which doesnt seem to be anything in particular. For
example, I looked inside a bit of cheap electronics today to check
something. The screws (lots of them) had a shallow x head which isnt
anything in particular.

JIS drivers are like hens teeth here.

Unless the application is a high torque one, Pozi are ok for JIS but they
will slip in high torque situations. A Phillips will slip earlier. So, on a
motorcycle engine, getting a JIS driver is a good move. Less critical for,
say, a screw holding two bits of plastic together on a cover etc.

All well here, just been busy- lots to catch up on.

--
https://www.unitedway.org/our-impact...an-trafficking

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2020 19:18, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 17:27:43 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

snip

Easy enough to get good quality JIS screwdrivers via eBay or Amazon,
although not cheap. I bought a couple of very small ones to do a minor
camera repair.

can you publish a link or two...need to get some....

Please?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=JIS+screwdrivers

Maybe he can pop round and do your dinner (cook stuff from your free
food handout), give you a bed bath and any other little jobs you cba
to do yourself?

Cheers, T i m

that would be nice.....

JIS #000 screwdriver newshound UK diy 19 September 2nd 19 02:35 PM
Sony Car Radio/ CD converting Japan to UK use ? N Cook Electronics Repair 5 November 7th 04 01:44 PM
clasonic tvx735d manual made in japan tokyo Hussam Electronics Repair 0 November 5th 04 02:29 PM
Help with JIS (Japanese) standards Arto Parlak Metalworking 4 March 6th 04 06:19 AM
What commercial radio frequencies does Japan use? Eric Sta. Ana Electronics Repair 2 July 28th 03 07:01 AM