Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default JIS #000 screwdriver

Anyone know where I can get a good quality one at a reasonable price?
Best I have spotted so far is Amazon which is more than £12 including
delivery. It *must* be JIS, not Phillips!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 1 September 2019 09:33:10 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
Anyone know where I can get a good quality one at a reasonable price?
Best I have spotted so far is Amazon which is more than £12 including
delivery. It *must* be JIS, not Phillips!

Best bet for all tools cheap is your local car boot sale.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

Anyone know where I can get a good quality one at a reasonable price?
Best I have spotted so far is Amazon which is more than £12 including
delivery. It *must* be JIS, not Phillips!

Can you wait?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=153215853302
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2019 12:01, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 1 September 2019 09:33:10 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
Anyone know where I can get a good quality one at a reasonable price?
Best I have spotted so far is Amazon which is more than £12 including
delivery. It *must* be JIS, not Phillips!

Best bet for all tools cheap is your local car boot sale.

Not for one of these. I have a couple of "boxed sets" of assorted small
bits, and a couple of "iPhone screwdriver sets" which are typical of
eBay / Car Boot, none of them have a decent JIS 000. I expect to pay a
bit more for a well machined hardened bit. I don't mind buying a small
set although a single would be best. I'm not *completely* convinced by
this one

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Screwdriv... teway&sr=8-3

which is why I'd like a recommendation.

Radiospares web site is down at the moment otherwise I would look there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2019 12:17, Andy Burns wrote:
newshound wrote:

Anyone know where I can get a good quality one at a reasonable price?
Best I have spotted so far is Amazon which is more than £12 including
delivery. It *must* be JIS, not Phillips!

Can you wait?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=153215853302

Thanks, that looks more like it, and it has a 0000 as well as an 000.
About a fiver each. I'll wait a day or so in case anyone else has
suggestions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09:33 1 Sep 2019, newshound wrote:

Anyone know where I can get a good quality one at a reasonable price?
Best I have spotted so far is Amazon which is more than £12 including
delivery. It *must* be JIS, not Phillips!

Surely it's time for the Japs to drop JIS screws.

This page suggests DIN 5260/ISO 8764-1 is close enough. They may
be easier to find although I haven't looked.

http://rtstools.com/jis-vs-phillips-...-to-buy-a-jis-
screwdriver/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=153215853302

Thanks, that looks more like it, and it has a 0000 as well as an 000.

Tools from engineer.jp are normally well regarded, DZ-02 seems to be a
#000, just 42p on rakuten but £17 delivery, unless you can find it
elsewhere?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2019 12:32, Pamela wrote:
On 09:33 1 Sep 2019, newshound wrote:

Anyone know where I can get a good quality one at a reasonable price?
Best I have spotted so far is Amazon which is more than £12 including
delivery. It *must* be JIS, not Phillips!

Surely it's time for the Japs to drop JIS screws.

This page suggests DIN 5260/ISO 8764-1 is close enough. They may
be easier to find although I haven't looked.

http://rtstools.com/jis-vs-phillips-...-to-buy-a-jis-
screwdriver/

Rubbish, Phillips is designed to cam out for automated manufacture. JIS
is far superior. And my screws are "old" JIS.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Sep 2019 12:18:00 +0100, newshound wrote:

On 01/09/2019 12:01, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 1 September 2019 09:33:10 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
Anyone know where I can get a good quality one at a reasonable price?
Best I have spotted so far is Amazon which is more than £12 including
delivery. It *must* be JIS, not Phillips!

Best bet for all tools cheap is your local car boot sale.

Not for one of these. I have a couple of "boxed sets" of assorted small
bits, and a couple of "iPhone screwdriver sets" which are typical of
eBay / Car Boot, none of them have a decent JIS 000. I expect to pay a
bit more for a well machined hardened bit. I don't mind buying a small
set although a single would be best. I'm not *completely* convinced by
this one

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Screwdriv...0-Pollicis/dp/

B002Q819AO/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=JIS+%23000&qid=1567336592&s=ga teway&sr=8-3

which is why I'd like a recommendation.

Radiospares web site is down at the moment otherwise I would look there.

I looked for you earlier! Couldn't see anything.

It's only a two hour pre-announced maintenance outage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12:44 1 Sep 2019, newshound wrote:

On 01/09/2019 12:32, Pamela wrote:
On 09:33 1 Sep 2019, newshound wrote:

Anyone know where I can get a good quality one at a reasonable price?
Best I have spotted so far is Amazon which is more than £12 including
delivery. It *must* be JIS, not Phillips!

Surely it's time for the Japs to drop JIS screws.

This page suggests DIN 5260/ISO 8764-1 is close enough. They may
be easier to find although I haven't looked.

http://rtstools.com/jis-vs-phillips-...-to-buy-a-jis-
screwdriver/

Rubbish, Phillips is designed to cam out for automated manufacture. JIS
is far superior. And my screws are "old" JIS.

What does a camming Phillips design have to do with the author's suggestion
to use the new DIN/ISO standard for JIS screws? Perhaps you didn't read
further than the name of the link.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2019 09:33, newshound wrote:
Anyone know where I can get a good quality one at a reasonable price?
Best I have spotted so far is Amazon which is more than £12 including
delivery. It *must* be JIS, not Phillips!

If you are desperate you can file/grind the tip of the point off a
philips driver to make it fit JIS better.

I would think a PZ would work better but I don't have any suitable
screws I want to try either on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2019 13:23, Pamela wrote:
On 12:44 1 Sep 2019, newshound wrote:

On 01/09/2019 12:32, Pamela wrote:
On 09:33 1 Sep 2019, newshound wrote:

Anyone know where I can get a good quality one at a reasonable price?
Best I have spotted so far is Amazon which is more than £12 including
delivery. It *must* be JIS, not Phillips!

Surely it's time for the Japs to drop JIS screws.

This page suggests DIN 5260/ISO 8764-1 is close enough. They may
be easier to find although I haven't looked.

http://rtstools.com/jis-vs-phillips-...-to-buy-a-jis-
screwdriver/

Rubbish, Phillips is designed to cam out for automated manufacture. JIS
is far superior. And my screws are "old" JIS.

What does a camming Phillips design have to do with the author's suggestion
to use the new DIN/ISO standard for JIS screws? Perhaps you didn't read
further than the name of the link.

Because I've got JIS #1 screws so the DIN won't fit. Perhaps *you*
didn't read it:

"The JIS standard screwdriver will always outperform a DIN/ISO screw
driver in the worst of conditions on a JIS screw, and the same is true
in reverse".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 04:45:36 +1000, Sewer, better known as cantankerous

0 results.

Are you sure, you zero?

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2019 16:22, dennis@home wrote:
On 01/09/2019 09:33, newshound wrote:
Anyone know where I can get a good quality one at a reasonable price?
Best I have spotted so far is Amazon which is more than £12 including
delivery. It *must* be JIS, not Phillips!

If you are desperate you can file/grind the tip of the point off a
philips driver to make it fit JIS better.

I would think a PZ would work better but I don't have any suitable
screws I want to try either on.

True, but I don't believe any of my current small screwdrivers are
hardened. And 000 and 0000 are *tiny*.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

#000, just 42p on rakuten but £17 delivery, unless you can find it
elsewhere?

Thanks, but think I might go with your other link.

:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Swera wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=153215853302

0 results.

For me ...

"0 results for 153215853302
13 items found from eBay international sellers"

with a link to the intended item.

It appears eBay have changed their URL format from the one I have
bookmarked and this works better

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153215853302
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2019 20:39, Andy Burns wrote:
Swera wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=153215853302

0 results.

For me ...

"0 results for 153215853302
13 items found from eBay international sellers"

with a link to the intended item.

It appears eBay have changed their URL format from the one I have
bookmarked and this works better

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153215853302

Ordered a pair, $13. Don't expect to use them often, but sometimes only
the right tool will do. The rubber eye-cup on a camera has slightly
pinged out of its two-piece holder, and is only going to go back
properly by dismantling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20:04 1 Sep 2019, newshound wrote:

On 01/09/2019 13:23, Pamela wrote:
On 12:44 1 Sep 2019, newshound wrote:

On 01/09/2019 12:32, Pamela wrote:
On 09:33 1 Sep 2019, newshound wrote:

Anyone know where I can get a good quality one at a reasonable
price? Best I have spotted so far is Amazon which is more than £12
including delivery. It *must* be JIS, not Phillips!

Surely it's time for the Japs to drop JIS screws.

This page suggests DIN 5260/ISO 8764-1 is close enough. They may
be easier to find although I haven't looked.

http://rtstools.com/jis-vs-phillips-...-and-where-to-
buy-a-jis-screwdriver/

Rubbish, Phillips is designed to cam out for automated manufacture.
JIS is far superior. And my screws are "old" JIS.

What does a camming Phillips design have to do with the author's
suggestion to use the new DIN/ISO standard for JIS screws? Perhaps you
didn't read further than the name of the link.

Because I've got JIS #1 screws so the DIN won't fit. Perhaps *you*
didn't read it:

"The JIS standard screwdriver will always outperform a DIN/ISO screw
driver in the worst of conditions on a JIS screw, and the same is true
in reverse".

I wanted a set of JIS screwdriver a couple of years ago and Amazon or eBay
had pitifully little to offer, except the sort of thing you found at a
high price.

That's why I mentioned "This page suggests DIN 5260/ISO 8764-1 is close
enough". It does not say the new DIN specification will not fit. Nor
does it say the new DIN spec is the same as Phillips.

I wouldn't need a particularly high performance fit to occassionally
dismantle and reassemble a Japanese item for repair -- as opposed to those
Japanese motor bike enthusiasts who regularly have the same screwdriver
problem. You may differ.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2019 20:06, newshound wrote:
On 01/09/2019 16:22, dennis@home wrote:
On 01/09/2019 09:33, newshound wrote:
Anyone know where I can get a good quality one at a reasonable price?
Best I have spotted so far is Amazon which is more than £12 including
delivery. It *must* be JIS, not Phillips!

If you are desperate you can file/grind the tip of the point off a
philips driver to make it fit JIS better.

I would think a PZ would work better but I don't have any suitable
screws I want to try either on.

True, but I don't believe any of my current small screwdrivers are
hardened. And 000 and 0000 are *tiny*.

I know, I have a PZ 000 and thats small.

PZ are closer to JIS than Philips.

Philips are designed to cam out when too much force is applied.

PZ and JIS don't have the tapered wings that Philips have so don't cam
out as easily.