bill

Default adhesive or cement?

I am sure this is a stupid question but can someone tell me why I shouldn't
lay floor tiles straight on to cement rather than a tile adhesive? I need to
raise the floor level by about 25mm in addition to the adhesive/cement and
tile so if I have to use adhesive what do I fill the remaining 25mm with?

Thanks in advance.

Brian G

"bill" wrote in message
news
I am sure this is a stupid question but can someone tell me why I

shouldn't
lay floor tiles straight on to cement rather than a tile adhesive? I need

raise the floor level by about 25mm in addition to the adhesive/cement and
tile so if I have to use adhesive what do I fill the remaining 25mm with?

Thanks in advance.

Bill,

If you could state the type of tiles that you are laying, then you should
get some specific help as each type requires a different fixing method.

(Here is a rough guide using the info that you gave). If it's the bog
standard PVC tiles then you can only lay these using tile adhesive. To
build up the floor, you could use a 25mm sand/cement screed (although this
is a bit on the thin side) before laying the PVC tiles. If they are ceramic
or glazed tiles, then you can put these onto a bed of "cement".

Brian G

The Natural Philosopher

bill wrote:

I am sure this is a stupid question but can someone tell me why I shouldn't
lay floor tiles straight on to cement rather than a tile adhesive? I need to
raise the floor level by about 25mm in addition to the adhesive/cement and
tile so if I have to use adhesive what do I fill the remaining 25mm with?

Thanks in advance.

Adhesive IS a sort of cement anyway.

Its a bit tougher and less prone to shatter than a weak screed mix, and
similarly priced to a strong screed mix.

There are a range of formulations each one a little different - some
fast drying (useful) some flexible) useful.

I would recommend however, that you use a strong mortar mix or self
levelling to get down to an accurate 12.5mm bed and use rapid set
adhesive for the actual tiles.

Michael Mcneil

I would recommend however, that you use a strong mortar mix or self
levelling to get down to an accurate 12.5mm bed and use rapid set
adhesive for the actual tiles.

The main problem with laying them direct is that you have too many jobs
on the go at once. There is nothing to stop you laying them onto wet
concrete or screed as you go but you must be sure of geting the level
laid correctly, tamp it as you go, trowel it flat from ripples and work
to the bottom of the tiles you just laid.

You must do it all quickly too. If you think you are competent to do
that, go for it. How long will it take to do the edges? Fit nicely up to
the walls will they?

No diagonal bonds then.