Timothy Murphy

Default How to unscrew power extension lead box ?

I want to unscrew the box containing 4 or 6 3-pin sockets
in order to put in a longer lead.
(Actually it is a 6-socket box with surge protection,
and they only seem to come with 2 metre leads.)

The bolts or screws holding the box together
seem to be of a special type that cannot be turned
with a normal screwdriver.
Is there any way of opening these boxes
short of drilling out these screws?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:
The bolts or screws holding the box together
seem to be of a special type that cannot be turned
with a normal screwdriver.
Is there any way of opening these boxes
short of drilling out these screws?

Maplin sell sets of these security screw drivers. There are several
different sorts - make sure the one you have is covered.

--
*If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Jet

snip
The bolts or screws holding the box together
seem to be of a special type that cannot be turned
with a normal screwdriver.
Is there any way of opening these boxes
short of drilling out these screws?

Buy a box of security bits, scewfix has them somewhere

--
Jet

:::Jerry::::

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I want to unscrew the box containing 4 or 6 3-pin sockets
in order to put in a longer lead.
(Actually it is a 6-socket box with surge protection,
and they only seem to come with 2 metre leads.)

snip

I hope it's either out of warranty or you don't intend to claim on it or any
'insurance' that might come with it !...

Grunff

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

I hope it's either out of warranty or you don't intend to claim on it or any
'insurance' that might come with it !...

It's a 6 way extension lead! Warranty?!?

--
Grunff

Ric

"Grunff" wrote in message
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

I hope it's either out of warranty or you don't intend to claim on it or

any
'insurance' that might come with it !...

It's a 6 way extension lead! Warranty?!?

Some of the anti-surge ones do have a warranty against damage to equipment
resulting from it failing to prevent a surge that it should have. It may
well be the case that opening the unit and replacing the flex would
invalidate this warranty.

Chris Hodges

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I want to unscrew the box containing 4 or 6 3-pin sockets
in order to put in a longer lead.
(Actually it is a 6-socket box with surge protection,
and they only seem to come with 2 metre leads.)

The bolts or screws holding the box together
seem to be of a special type that cannot be turned
with a normal screwdriver.
Is there any way of opening these boxes
short of drilling out these screws?

It might not be much use if you do. I opened 3 recently before I found
1 I could rewire - the others were crimped - and a brass crimp rated to
13A isn't easy to prise open!

--
Chris
-----

Timothy Murphy

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Maplin sell sets of these security screw drivers. There are several
different sorts - make sure the one you have is covered.

Thanks for the warning.
I must say at a quick glance all the extension leads I have
seem to have much the same screw.
But I'll take one with me to Maplin.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Timothy Murphy

Ric wrote:

Some of the anti-surge ones do have a warranty against damage to equipment
resulting from it failing to prevent a surge that it should have. It may
well be the case that opening the unit and replacing the flex would
invalidate this warranty.

Thanks for the warning,
but this is a cheapo Micromark extension lead (costing 12euro)
with no mention of any warranty.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
:::Jerry::::

"raden" wrote in message
In message , ":::Jerry::::"
writes

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I want to unscrew the box containing 4 or 6 3-pin sockets
in order to put in a longer lead.
(Actually it is a 6-socket box with surge protection,
and they only seem to come with 2 metre leads.)

snip

I hope it's either out of warranty or you don't intend to claim on it or

any
'insurance' that might come with it !...

????? Five pounds worth of extension lead ?

(well £2 from CPC)

There is normally a separate cover for the connections and you don't
need to open the whole thing

Were can you get a *surge protection* extension lead with insurance against
damaged equipment for two quid ?

One day some people on Usenet will read the post / thread that they are
trying to reply to...

Lurch

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:12:39 GMT, Chris Hodges
strung together this:

It might not be much use if you do. I opened 3 recently before I found
1 I could rewire - the others were crimped - and a brass crimp rated to
13A isn't easy to prise open!

I did that with one of mine. A bit of wire cutting action and
soldering iron waving and hey presto, new wires attached!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd