DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to unscrew power extension lead box ? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/66289-how-unscrew-power-extension-lead-box.html)

Timothy Murphy August 23rd 04 01:03 PM

How to unscrew power extension lead box ?

I want to unscrew the box containing 4 or 6 3-pin sockets
in order to put in a longer lead.
(Actually it is a 6-socket box with surge protection,
and they only seem to come with 2 metre leads.)

The bolts or screws holding the box together
seem to be of a special type that cannot be turned
with a normal screwdriver.
Is there any way of opening these boxes
short of drilling out these screws?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie

Dave Plowman (News) August 23rd 04 01:22 PM

In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:
The bolts or screws holding the box together
seem to be of a special type that cannot be turned
with a normal screwdriver.
Is there any way of opening these boxes
short of drilling out these screws?

Maplin sell sets of these security screw drivers. There are several
different sorts - make sure the one you have is covered.

--
*If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Jet August 23rd 04 01:36 PM

snip
The bolts or screws holding the box together
seem to be of a special type that cannot be turned
with a normal screwdriver.
Is there any way of opening these boxes
short of drilling out these screws?

Buy a box of security bits, scewfix has them somewhere

--
Jet

:::Jerry:::: August 23rd 04 02:46 PM

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I want to unscrew the box containing 4 or 6 3-pin sockets
in order to put in a longer lead.
(Actually it is a 6-socket box with surge protection,
and they only seem to come with 2 metre leads.)

snip

I hope it's either out of warranty or you don't intend to claim on it or any
'insurance' that might come with it !...

Grunff August 23rd 04 03:59 PM

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

I hope it's either out of warranty or you don't intend to claim on it or any
'insurance' that might come with it !...

It's a 6 way extension lead! Warranty?!?

--
Grunff

Ric August 23rd 04 04:19 PM

"Grunff" wrote in message
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

I hope it's either out of warranty or you don't intend to claim on it or

any
'insurance' that might come with it !...

It's a 6 way extension lead! Warranty?!?

Some of the anti-surge ones do have a warranty against damage to equipment
resulting from it failing to prevent a surge that it should have. It may
well be the case that opening the unit and replacing the flex would
invalidate this warranty.

Chris Hodges August 23rd 04 05:12 PM

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I want to unscrew the box containing 4 or 6 3-pin sockets
in order to put in a longer lead.
(Actually it is a 6-socket box with surge protection,
and they only seem to come with 2 metre leads.)

The bolts or screws holding the box together
seem to be of a special type that cannot be turned
with a normal screwdriver.
Is there any way of opening these boxes
short of drilling out these screws?

It might not be much use if you do. I opened 3 recently before I found
1 I could rewire - the others were crimped - and a brass crimp rated to
13A isn't easy to prise open!

--
Chris
-----

Timothy Murphy August 23rd 04 10:36 PM

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Maplin sell sets of these security screw drivers. There are several
different sorts - make sure the one you have is covered.

Thanks for the warning.
I must say at a quick glance all the extension leads I have
seem to have much the same screw.
But I'll take one with me to Maplin.

Timothy Murphy August 23rd 04 10:39 PM

Ric wrote:

Some of the anti-surge ones do have a warranty against damage to equipment
resulting from it failing to prevent a surge that it should have. It may
well be the case that opening the unit and replacing the flex would
invalidate this warranty.

Thanks for the warning,
but this is a cheapo Micromark extension lead (costing 12euro)
with no mention of any warranty.

:::Jerry:::: August 23rd 04 10:45 PM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , ":::Jerry::::"
writes

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I want to unscrew the box containing 4 or 6 3-pin sockets
in order to put in a longer lead.
(Actually it is a 6-socket box with surge protection,
and they only seem to come with 2 metre leads.)

snip

I hope it's either out of warranty or you don't intend to claim on it or

any
'insurance' that might come with it !...

????? Five pounds worth of extension lead ?

(well £2 from CPC)

There is normally a separate cover for the connections and you don't
need to open the whole thing

Were can you get a *surge protection* extension lead with insurance against
damaged equipment for two quid ?

One day some people on Usenet will read the post / thread that they are
trying to reply to...

Lurch August 24th 04 12:46 AM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:12:39 GMT, Chris Hodges
strung together this:

It might not be much use if you do. I opened 3 recently before I found
1 I could rewire - the others were crimped - and a brass crimp rated to
13A isn't easy to prise open!

I did that with one of mine. A bit of wire cutting action and
soldering iron waving and hey presto, new wires attached!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd