Clive M

Default simple explanation - wiring two pumps into boiler

Having done a google, I have come across a technique to wire two pumps into
a gravity system to produce a fully pumped system
as per
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...pex.net&rnum=8
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e... ws.pipex.net

I am confused of how I can acheive this with my setup.

I have got a danfoss RX2 that provides the inputs for both heating and room
stats (there is no programmer as the room stat is programable)

The connection box RX2 has a zone (zone 2) output that switched live, there
is then two other outputs that is switched live (zone 1 on) or (zone 1 off)

The boiler has a live imput that fires the boiler and pump. There is then
another input (mains Swl) that is the switched live from the external
gravity hot water circuit.

If the boiler is run as fully pumped, it will need to have pump overrun
selected - this will need to overrun the heating pump only.

As far as I can make out I need to wire the RX2 outputs from that stat to
the pump, and then wire two relays across the pumps (1 per pump) so that
when the stat fires the pump, the relay is activated and the "main L" input
to the boiler fires". As they are connected via relays the boiler input
going live will not fire the other pump.

The problem is the boiler overrun - I cant just wire the hot water pump to
the boiler, and ever time the boiler fires the HW pump would run. How can
pump overrun be implimented?

Pete C

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:09:43 GMT, "Clive M"
wrote:

The problem is the boiler overrun - I cant just wire the hot water pump to
the boiler, and ever time the boiler fires the HW pump would run. How can
pump overrun be implimented?

Hi,

Scuse the dummy question, but why do you need overrun?

cheers,
Pete.
raden

In message , Pete C
writes
wrote:

The problem is the boiler overrun - I cant just wire the hot water pump to
the boiler, and ever time the boiler fires the HW pump would run. How can
pump overrun be implimented?

Hi,

Scuse the dummy question, but why do you need overrun?

To disperse the heat from the heat exchanger into the system

--
geoff
Pete C

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:00:35 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Pete C
writes
wrote:

The problem is the boiler overrun - I cant just wire the hot water pump to
the boiler, and ever time the boiler fires the HW pump would run. How can
pump overrun be implimented?

Hi,

Scuse the dummy question, but why do you need overrun?

To disperse the heat from the heat exchanger into the system

I see. If it's to prevent kettling then a 'delay off' relay would do,
some cheap ones available he

http://www.engsurplus.btinternet.co.uk/control.automation.htm

More information available from:

www.rswww.com

cheers,
Pete.

Tony Bryer

In article , Pete C
wrote:
I see. If it's to prevent kettling then a 'delay off' relay
would do, some cheap ones available he

http://www.engsurplus.btinternet.co.uk/control.automation.htm

Just wire the pump through a pipe stat - cold side of stat to
boiler call, hot side to permanent live, common to pump

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

Pete C

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:10:03 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

In article , Pete C
wrote:
I see. If it's to prevent kettling then a 'delay off' relay
would do, some cheap ones available he

http://www.engsurplus.btinternet.co.uk/control.automation.htm

Just wire the pump through a pipe stat - cold side of stat to
boiler call, hot side to permanent live, common to pump

Hi,

Sounds good, I wasn't aware they were available with a changeover
contact.

cheers,
Pete.
Tony Bryer

In article , Pete C
wrote:
Sounds good, I wasn't aware they were available with a
changeover contact.

All the ones I have installed have had this. IIRC the older MV's
needed DHW on and DHW off feeds

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

Set Square

Tony Bryer wrote:

In article , Pete C
wrote:
Sounds good, I wasn't aware they were available with a
changeover contact.

All the ones I have installed have had this. IIRC the older MV's
needed DHW on and DHW off feeds

Most 3-port mid-position valves still do!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Set Square

Tony Bryer wrote:

In article , Set Square wrote:
All the ones I have installed have had this. IIRC the older MV's
needed DHW on and DHW off feeds

Most 3-port mid-position valves still do!

I've always avoided them like the plague - reading the FAQ
explanation of how they work just makes my brain hurt. With 2 x
2-port valves it's always obvious what's happening.

I agree with you and - given a clean sheet - would do the same, since they
*are* a little complex and they *do* represent a significant single point of
failure in heating systems. However, I inherited a Y-plan system when I
bought this house and it works well enough for me not to want the hassle of
re-jigging everything. I've had to replace the actuator a couple of times,
but I've got quite good at recognising the symptoms when it goes wrong - and
(hopefully) at advising others about the delightful things when they enquire
in this NG.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Tony Bryer

In article , Set Square wrote:
All the ones I have installed have had this. IIRC the older MV's
needed DHW on and DHW off feeds

Most 3-port mid-position valves still do!

I've always avoided them like the plague - reading the FAQ
explanation of how they work just makes my brain hurt. With 2 x
2-port valves it's always obvious what's happening.

Grundfos vs. Taco pumps for boiler L. M. Rappaport Home Repair 2 June 23rd 04 04:22 AM
gas boiler thermocouple Stoney UK diy 56 October 20th 03 09:02 PM
Digital cylinder 'stat? Martin Angove UK diy 9 October 12th 03 08:32 PM
Boiler problem - hot water, cold radiators Dan the man UK diy 9 October 7th 03 11:26 PM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM