Badger

Default Garage to shed?

SWTSMBO and the boys keep on about me building a model railway layout
for them in the roof, I'm not keen on putting such things in the roof,
don't want Velux's to have suitable escapes etc.....And its a truss roof
so loadings would be an issue.

So I'm thinking of putting a shed up for them, not a wooden one as they
don't last (Oak's and poor access behind doesn't help) beyond 5-10 years
, so I've been looking a sectional concrete one (better for security
too). For what they cost new, and seeing them for not much in the ad's
I'm wondering if a garage could be reused with panels instead of the big
door? As it would be smaller than most garages probably using the
original parts? Anyone done this? Anyone got a vertical panel garage
going cheap/free in the South Hants area?

Niel.

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 20:46:51 GMT, Badger
made me spill my meths when he wrote:

SWTSMBO and the boys keep on about me building a model railway layout
for them in the roof, I'm not keen on putting such things in the roof,
don't want Velux's to have suitable escapes etc.....And its a truss roof
so loadings would be an issue.

I've told you once, two Land Rover military ambulance bodies rivetted
together

All the best
--
Wayne Davies - Mobile 07989 556213 - Harrogate, N.Yorks, UK
Harry Bloomfield

Badger has brought this to us :
SWTSMBO and the boys keep on about me building a model railway layout for
them in the roof, I'm not keen on putting such things in the roof, don't want
Velux's to have suitable escapes etc.....And its a truss roof so loadings
would be an issue.

So I'm thinking of putting a shed up for them, not a wooden one as they don't
last (Oak's and poor access behind doesn't help) beyond 5-10 years , so I've
been looking a sectional concrete one (better for security too). For what
they cost new, and seeing them for not much in the ad's I'm wondering if a
garage could be reused with panels instead of the big door? As it would be
smaller than most garages probably using the original parts? Anyone done
this? Anyone got a vertical panel garage going cheap/free in the South Hants
area?

Niel.

I think the panels on most garages vary in size for the flat roofed
ones, to enable the roof to drain. Taller panels at the front, shorter
ones towards the rear. Probably a way around it would be to fill the
big door space in with a concrete block work wall.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

mrcheerful

"Badger" wrote in message
SWTSMBO and the boys keep on about me building a model railway layout for
them in the roof, I'm not keen on putting such things in the roof, don't
want Velux's to have suitable escapes etc.....And its a truss roof so

So I'm thinking of putting a shed up for them, not a wooden one as they
don't last (Oak's and poor access behind doesn't help) beyond 5-10 years ,
so I've been looking a sectional concrete one (better for security too).
For what they cost new, and seeing them for not much in the ad's I'm
wondering if a garage could be reused with panels instead of the big door?
As it would be smaller than most garages probably using the original
parts? Anyone done this? Anyone got a vertical panel garage going
cheap/free in the South Hants area?

Niel.

I have built two from free or nearly so sectional garages. I glue
and bolt the panels together and to the base. Conventionally the garage
roof fall is by angled additional pieces above regular rectangular panels.
I prefer to build my own apex roof on top. Use roof sheets with insulation.
Use thin cellotex in the voids of the side panels. A reinforced door with
at least two locks and the whole is pretty secure. Cost can be very low.
Cheap transport and carrying labour is needed though.
mrcheerful

Jerry Built

Badger wrote:
I'm wondering if a garage could be reused with panels instead
of the big door

It will be best to lay a concrete base for this building. The door
is easy to deal with, a 3"x2" framework containing a window and
second-hand (or home-made) door with a lock, and clad with Sterling
board and featheredge board over looks good, and is cheap and
secure. Avoid flat roofs - a flat roofed garage is quite easy to
convert to a pitched roof one, but it will cost a couple of
hundred to do using new timber and corrugated iron (NOT onduline!).

J.B.

Shed Electrics Paul UK diy 15 May 22nd 04 12:48 PM
garage rebuilding and party wall agreements (long) Witchy UK diy 0 March 20th 04 01:59 PM
Building a new shop: 'Shed' or garage? Joshua Woodworking 37 February 14th 04 05:20 PM
Building an Extension (Garage and Block Selection) Andrew Welham UK diy 12 January 3rd 04 10:12 AM
On the subject of a garden shed Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 27th 03 04:31 PM