chris French

Default What does an electrical inspection entail?

Finally approaching the end of the rather extended rewiring of my house.

I'm confident in the work I've done (though the garage has never been
properly rewired and one or two bits could be 'marginal' I guess) but an
inspection of the installation seems prudent.

what sort of things would such a report/inspection entail
--
Chris French, Leeds
Bob Eager

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:23:34 UTC, chris French
wrote:

I'm confident in the work I've done (though the garage has never been
properly rewired and one or two bits could be 'marginal' I guess) but an
inspection of the installation seems prudent.

what sort of things would such a report/inspection entail

http://www.cpc.co.uk

and look at part no. PL04276... (ISBN 075062857X elsewhere)

This is cheap and tells you all of the basics.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
John Southern

chris French wrote in message ...
Finally approaching the end of the rather extended rewiring of my house.

I'm confident in the work I've done (though the garage has never been
properly rewired and one or two bits could be 'marginal' I guess) but an
inspection of the installation seems prudent.

what sort of things would such a report/inspection entail

Probably a visual inspection involving looking at the main intake and
assesing the supply type and rating of the main fuse.
Then checking the consumers unit for correct ratings of MCBs and such
like.
Then the inspector will do some test on each circuit in turn with
special instruments testing for coninuity of CPCs,continuity off ring
main conductors,Insulation resistance,Polarity and Earth Loop
Impedance and finally testing any RCDs in the circuit.
If all the readings comply with BS7671 the 16th edition regs the
inspector will issue an electricial installation cirtificate to you
the client.

If you have a multimeter you can do basic electrical test such as
continuity of CPCs and ring main conductors. Anouther investment would
be a plug in socket tester to cheack for polarity at each socket
outlet.

For some of the test the inspector will need to de-energize the
circuits to be tested and also disconnect all appliances and remove
any lamps electronic equiptment from the circuits.

Jon.
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:23:34 +0100, chris French wrote:

Finally approaching the end of the rather extended rewiring of my house.

I'm confident in the work I've done (though the garage has never been
properly rewired and one or two bits could be 'marginal' I guess) but an
inspection of the installation seems prudent.

what sort of things would such a report/inspection entail

It's detailed ion the On site guide.

Basically checking the installation complies with the relevant regs.
Then testing and logging the results. (RCD drop out times, loop
impedances, insulation resistance, conductor conductance, ring continuity.).

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

chris French

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:23:34 +0100, chris French wrote:

Finally approaching the end of the rather extended rewiring of my house.

I'm confident in the work I've done (though the garage has never been
properly rewired and one or two bits could be 'marginal' I guess) but an
inspection of the installation seems prudent.

what sort of things would such a report/inspection entail

It's detailed ion the On site guide.

Basically checking the installation complies with the relevant regs.
Then testing and logging the results. (RCD drop out times, loop
impedances, insulation resistance, conductor conductance, ring continuity.).

So is this mostly about the various tests they do?

Is there much of a visual inspection of what has actually been done?
--
Chris French, Leeds

John Southern

chris French wrote in message ...
In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:23:34 +0100, chris French wrote:

Finally approaching the end of the rather extended rewiring of my house.

I'm confident in the work I've done (though the garage has never been
properly rewired and one or two bits could be 'marginal' I guess) but an
inspection of the installation seems prudent.

what sort of things would such a report/inspection entail

It's detailed ion the On site guide.

Basically checking the installation complies with the relevant regs.
Then testing and logging the results. (RCD drop out times, loop
impedances, insulation resistance, conductor conductance, ring continuity.).

So is this mostly about the various tests they do?

Is there much of a visual inspection of what has actually been done?

Usually 10% of wiring accessories opended up and the wiring inside
them checked for things like too much exposed copper and sleeving on
CPCs.

Jon.

Phil Nettleton wrote:

unless theres a fault in the accessory inspected ,then it inspect every one
wiring concealed in walls or concealed under floors wont be visually
inspected

Hmmm, yes!

--
Chris Green