chris French

Default What does an electrical inspection entail?

Finally approaching the end of the rather extended rewiring of my house.

I'm confident in the work I've done (though the garage has never been
properly rewired and one or two bits could be 'marginal' I guess) but an
inspection of the installation seems prudent.

what sort of things would such a report/inspection entail
--
Chris French, Leeds
Bob Eager

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:23:34 UTC, chris French
wrote:

I'm confident in the work I've done (though the garage has never been
properly rewired and one or two bits could be 'marginal' I guess) but an
inspection of the installation seems prudent.

what sort of things would such a report/inspection entail

http://www.cpc.co.uk

and look at part no. PL04276... (ISBN 075062857X elsewhere)

This is cheap and tells you all of the basics.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
John Southern

chris French wrote in message ...
Finally approaching the end of the rather extended rewiring of my house.

I'm confident in the work I've done (though the garage has never been
properly rewired and one or two bits could be 'marginal' I guess) but an
inspection of the installation seems prudent.

what sort of things would such a report/inspection entail

Probably a visual inspection involving looking at the main intake and
assesing the supply type and rating of the main fuse.
Then checking the consumers unit for correct ratings of MCBs and such
like.
Then the inspector will do some test on each circuit in turn with
special instruments testing for coninuity of CPCs,continuity off ring
main conductors,Insulation resistance,Polarity and Earth Loop
Impedance and finally testing any RCDs in the circuit.
If all the readings comply with BS7671 the 16th edition regs the
inspector will issue an electricial installation cirtificate to you
the client.

If you have a multimeter you can do basic electrical test such as
continuity of CPCs and ring main conductors. Anouther investment would
be a plug in socket tester to cheack for polarity at each socket
outlet.

For some of the test the inspector will need to de-energize the
circuits to be tested and also disconnect all appliances and remove
any lamps electronic equiptment from the circuits.

Jon.
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:23:34 +0100, chris French wrote:

Finally approaching the end of the rather extended rewiring of my house.

I'm confident in the work I've done (though the garage has never been
properly rewired and one or two bits could be 'marginal' I guess) but an
inspection of the installation seems prudent.

what sort of things would such a report/inspection entail

It's detailed ion the On site guide.

Basically checking the installation complies with the relevant regs.
Then testing and logging the results. (RCD drop out times, loop
impedances, insulation resistance, conductor conductance, ring continuity.).

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

chris French

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:23:34 +0100, chris French wrote:

Finally approaching the end of the rather extended rewiring of my house.

I'm confident in the work I've done (though the garage has never been
properly rewired and one or two bits could be 'marginal' I guess) but an
inspection of the installation seems prudent.

what sort of things would such a report/inspection entail

It's detailed ion the On site guide.

Basically checking the installation complies with the relevant regs.
Then testing and logging the results. (RCD drop out times, loop
impedances, insulation resistance, conductor conductance, ring continuity.).

So is this mostly about the various tests they do?

Is there much of a visual inspection of what has actually been done?
--
Chris French, Leeds

John Southern

chris French wrote in message ...
In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:23:34 +0100, chris French wrote:

Finally approaching the end of the rather extended rewiring of my house.

I'm confident in the work I've done (though the garage has never been
properly rewired and one or two bits could be 'marginal' I guess) but an
inspection of the installation seems prudent.

what sort of things would such a report/inspection entail

It's detailed ion the On site guide.

Basically checking the installation complies with the relevant regs.
Then testing and logging the results. (RCD drop out times, loop
impedances, insulation resistance, conductor conductance, ring continuity.).

So is this mostly about the various tests they do?

Is there much of a visual inspection of what has actually been done?

Usually 10% of wiring accessories opended up and the wiring inside
them checked for things like too much exposed copper and sleeving on
CPCs.

Jon.

Phil Nettleton wrote:

unless theres a fault in the accessory inspected ,then it inspect every one
wiring concealed in walls or concealed under floors wont be visually
inspected

Hmmm, yes!

--
Chris Green
Phil Nettleton

wrote in message ...
Phil Nettleton wrote:

unless theres a fault in the accessory inspected ,then it inspect every

one
wiring concealed in walls or concealed under floors wont be visually
inspected

Hmmm, yes!

what do you mean by this ?
the sample percentage is 10% so if there`s 10 or less lights you would only
inspect 1 unless you found a fault in which case you would then inspect
every fitting

As for the concealed wiring , on the periodic inspection report (which is
the form being filled in as the test is not being carried out by the
installer)the section marked "extent and limitation of the inspection " has
a paragraph at the bottom stating that .The wiring has been carried out in
accordance with BS7671 Cables concealed within trunking and conduits,or
cables and conduits concealed under floors,in roof spaces and generally
within the fabric of the building or underground have not been inspected
so that basically means the test inspects the connected accessories and the
electrical integraty of the wiring and not weather it`s been fitted
correctly, having said that in checking the accessories you would probably
see any anomalies ,also that still won`t stop you lifting the odd board or
checking the roof space if you suspect something because when the test is
complete the customer is going to get a report with the inspectors signiture
on it
hope this clears things up a bit
phil n

Martin Angove

In message ,
"Phil Nettleton" wrote:

[...]

the test inspects the connected accessories and the
electrical integraty of the wiring and not weather it`s been fitted
correctly, having said that in checking the accessories you would probably
see any anomalies ,also that still won`t stop you lifting the odd board or
checking the roof space if you suspect something because when the test is
complete the customer is going to get a report with the inspectors signiture
on it
hope this clears things up a bit

The thing I find difficult about inspections is the client. Of course,
that's obvious, but you have several issues he

1: He's paying you to do the job, possibly by the hour.

2: What he really wants is an "ok".

3: When he gets the report, the blasted section which lists items of
concern is very confusing to the layman. I mean, "1 requires urgent
attention" is obvious, but I have seen 2, 3, 4 used quite
inconsistently, especially the one which says "needs further
investigation". To a layman this means "it's ok at the moment, but you
should take a look". To the inspector it probably means "I think there's
something dodgy going on here but if I spend three hours tracing it out
you're going to complain."

4: When you tick the "not satisfactory" box it is hard not to feel as
though some clients think you are trying it on. I recently had an
interesting discussion with one client about the necessity or otherwise
of main and supplementary bonding (lack of which usually merits a "1"
in the concerns box), and the wisdom of ditching the overall 30mA RCD in
favour of the newly available PME. Crumbs, he even moaned when I spent
an unscheduled half day rewiring a birds nest of a junction box which
was the main downstairs lighting switching centre (all earths twisted
together outside the box).

I'm probably just being naive, but I usually try my best to explain the
test certificate to the client, which explains why I charge an extra
hour for paperwork :-)

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... CONgress (n) - Opposite of PROgress

Kalico

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:03:22 +0100, Martin Angove
wrote:

[snip]

I'm probably just being naive, but I usually try my best to explain the
test certificate to the client, which explains why I charge an extra
hour for paperwork :-)

Hwyl!

M.

Just out of interest, what do you charge for the test and certificate?

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply
Martin Angove

In message ,
Kalico wrote:

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:03:22 +0100, Martin Angove
wrote:

[snip]

I'm probably just being naive, but I usually try my best to explain the
test certificate to the client, which explains why I charge an extra
hour for paperwork :-)

Hwyl!

M.

Just out of interest, what do you charge for the test and certificate?

By the hour. A normal-sized house without anything too complicated to
trace should be about an hour for the inspection and an hour for the
paperwork. Some installations which have been messed-about with may take
longer due to the need to identify, as far as possible, which fuses/MCBs
feed which circuits.

Was in a house the other day where as far as I could tell there were
four radial circuits feeding sockets, all fed from the same 20A fuse.
The report pulled up a few more issues which I suppose didn't please the
householder very much as he'd gone to great lengths to make the
installation look good on the surface with new lights, switches, sockets
and so on.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... Blessed are the young; they will inherit our national debt.

Martin Angove wrote:
Was in a house the other day where as far as I could tell there were
four radial circuits feeding sockets, all fed from the same 20A fuse.

Which is perfectly normal and correct if I understand you correctly.
A 20 amp protected radial wired with 2.5sq mm supplying sockets can be
branched as much as you want. The branches can be at the consumer unit
as well as elsewhere in the circuit.

The main limiting factor on this type of circuit is that it should serve
a maximum floor area of 50 square metres. Also, of course, it should
be capable of supplying the devices connected to it (subject to
diversity).

--
Chris Green
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Martin Angove writes:

Was in a house the other day where as far as I could tell there were
four radial circuits feeding sockets, all fed from the same 20A fuse.

Um, that's just one radial circuit.
Shouldn't be a problem unless the loading is silly,
like if it's doing a large kitchen and utility room.

--
Andrew Gabriel

In uk.d-i-y, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Martin Angove writes:

Was in a house the other day where as far as I could tell there were
four radial circuits feeding sockets, all fed from the same 20A fuse.

Um, that's just one radial circuit.
Shouldn't be a problem unless the loading is silly,
like if it's doing a large kitchen and utility room.

But since this is the normally thoroughly sensible Martin A speaking, he
probably meant precisely that the four main branches of the single
radial were indeed supplying loads/floor-areas considerably in excess
of the reasonable burden on a single 20A circuit (not to mention the
controllability/incovenience factors), and expected us as intelligent
readers to infer this from context...

Owain

Stefek Zaba wrote
| Andrew Gabriel wrote:
| Martin Angove writes:
| Was in a house the other day where as far as I could tell there
| were four radial circuits feeding sockets, all fed from the
| same 20A fuse.

My mother's got one of them :-) Only it feeds two house sockets, the
bathroom radiant heater, and the garage socket.

thinks4 way Wylex board. Cooker, ring, lights, immersion, none spare. ...

Actually, it might do the immersion as well.

| Um, that's just one radial circuit.
| Shouldn't be a problem unless the loading is silly,
| like if it's doing a large kitchen and utility room.
| But since this is the normally thoroughly sensible Martin A
| speaking, he probably meant precisely that the four main
| branches of the single radial were indeed supplying loads/
| floor-areas considerably in excess of the reasonable burden
| on a single 20A circuit (not to mention the controllability/
| incovenience factors), and expected us as intelligent
| readers to infer this from context...

And the fact that taking 4 connections from one MCB/fuse terminal might not
be Good Practice, depending on the terminal design.

Owain

Lurch

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:24:37 +0100, "Owain"
strung together this:

thinks4 way Wylex board. Cooker, ring, lights, immersion, none spare. ...

Actually, it might do the immersion as well.

Reminds me of my 'temporary' setup before I expanded the CU
arrangements. One 20A circuit feeding the immersion, the CH, the
pretty lights on the fire, two 16A sockets outside and all of the
outside lighting (about 1kw fully loded)!
Glad to say its been spread out a bit now though.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Martin Angove

Martin Angove writes:

Was in a house the other day where as far as I could tell there were
four radial circuits feeding sockets, all fed from the same 20A fuse.

Um, that's just one radial circuit.
Shouldn't be a problem unless the loading is silly,
like if it's doing a large kitchen and utility room.

But since this is the normally thoroughly sensible Martin A speaking,

Aww... blush I don't think anyone's been that nice to me for ages...

....except the wife. I have to say that in case she reads this sometime.

he
probably meant precisely that the four main branches of the single
radial were indeed supplying loads/floor-areas considerably in excess
of the reasonable burden on a single 20A circuit (not to mention the
controllability/incovenience factors), and expected us as intelligent
readers to infer this from context...

Yes, sorry, I wasn't really making myself clear (or really thinking
clearly). This is exactly what I meant. The sockets in the whole house
(3 bed end-of-terrace) were run (IIRC, and I'm not looking the details
up now) from this single 20A MCB. I'd guess a floor area of over 80sqm,
but more to the point:

A washing machine
A tumble dryer
An electric kettle
A microwave oven

Granted, not often likely to be on at the same time, but still an easy
8kW.

Oh, and it was a 20A *fuse* by the way, bit of semi-enclosed, none of
this modern cartridge stuff... err, and some of the 2.5mm2 was 1mm2 CPC
rather than 1.5mm2. Ummm... and the earth rod (which must have existed
somewhere because the earth loop reading wasn't sky-high even though
gas and water weren't bonded) was nowhere to be seen.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove:
http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
Lobster

snip

Have been following this thread with some interest as I waa about to
have my rewiring checked by a sparks (first time I've done anything as
extensive as this, so I was slightly apprehensive - bit like going to
the dentist for a check-up!).

Interestingly, the only thing I got pulled up on (apart from one
apparently faulty cooker socket) was the fact that having followed the
pro and con arguments in this ng, I hadn't installed any supplementary
bonding in the kitchen! Oh well...

David

Lobster

"Lobster" wrote in message
om...

Interestingly, the only thing I got pulled up on (apart from one
apparently faulty cooker socket) was the fact that having followed the
pro and con arguments in this ng, I hadn't installed any supplementary
bonding in the kitchen! Oh well...

Just had a go at doing my bonding, but I'm slightly stumped over how to
attach it to the sink. I always thought they had special earthing tag
points, but this one certainly doesn't. All there is are the rather
flimsy-looking screw clips which hold down the sink to the worktop and I'm
not sure how I can interface a length of earth cable with this. Anybody
been there, done that?

Please don't tell me it's unnecessary - I'm not arguing, but the sparks who
inspected it wants it doing and it's not worth the argument (which I'd end
up paying for at his hourly rate anyway!)

Thanks
David

Bob Eager

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 15:04:07 UTC, "Lobster"
wrote:

Just had a go at doing my bonding, but I'm slightly stumped over how to
attach it to the sink. I always thought they had special earthing tag
points, but this one certainly doesn't. All there is are the rather
flimsy-looking screw clips which hold down the sink to the worktop and I'm
not sure how I can interface a length of earth cable with this. Anybody
been there, done that?

Years ago, I did this on a stainless steel sink by drilling a hole in
teh side (the vertical part) in an inconspicuous corner. I then crimped
a tag to the earth cable and bolted it on, using said hole. This was
done inside, so only the bolt head was visible outside.
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Andy Wade

Bob Eager wrote:

Years ago, I did this on a stainless steel sink by drilling a hole in
teh side (the vertical part) in an inconspicuous corner. I then crimped
a tag to the earth cable and bolted it on, using said hole. This was
done inside, so only the bolt head was visible outside.

Another way is to use the type of earth clamps made for connecting to
thin metal sections, such as Eze-earth - shown here as type TZB100:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Earthing_Index/Earth_Clamps/index.html

or a Screwfix equivalent:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=18129&ts=12208.

--
Andy
Lobster

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...lamps/index.ht
ml

or a Screwfix equivalent:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=18129&ts=12208.

Thanks - in fact I already have some of the Screwfix ones; however there's
no suitable rib or edge that I can see where I could fit one of these. Even
so, I was looking at one and couldn't work out how I would attach the cable
even to these! The screw terminal is tiny - certainly compared with the h/d
screw on a conventional pipe earth clamp. Is the answer that you have to
crimp on a tag, as suggested by Bob above? If so I guess I need a crimping
tool, then...

David

Andy Wade

Lobster wrote:

Thanks - in fact I already have some of the Screwfix ones; however there's
no suitable rib or edge that I can see where I could fit one of these. Even
so, I was looking at one and couldn't work out how I would attach the cable
even to these! The screw terminal is tiny - certainly compared with the h/d
screw on a conventional pipe earth clamp. Is the answer that you have to
crimp on a tag, as suggested by Bob above? If so I guess I need a crimping
tool, then...

Yes, _everybody_ needs a crimp tool. Get a decent one and you'll wonder
how you ever managed without it.

--
Andy

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Is the answer that you have to crimp on a tag, as suggested by Bob
above? If so I guess I need a crimping tool, then...

If you get a red blue and yellow terminal crimp tool, avoid the very cheap
non cantilever types. Ratchet ones can be bought for under 15 quid and do
the job properly.

--
*Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Alex

I am under the impression that supplementary bonding in the kitchen is
now out! Just the earth bonding to main gas/water pipes and the works
in the bathroom!

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 22:51:25 GMT, "Lobster"
wrote:

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
.. .