alterego

Default soldering lead flashing

I want to make a section of lead flashing to wrap around an external
corner. This requires a soldered joint or two but I can't find out how
to do it. I'm a fairly experienced DIYer and not afraid to learn
something new. Can anyone tell me how to join two pieces of lead
please? Thanks
tony sayer

In article , alterego
writes
I want to make a section of lead flashing to wrap around an external
corner. This requires a soldered joint or two but I can't find out how
to do it. I'm a fairly experienced DIYer and not afraid to learn
something new. Can anyone tell me how to join two pieces of lead
please? Thanks

Err' 'um solder?.

Plumbers solder should do the trick, and a small gas blowlanp. Practise
well on some scrap first. Solder is a mix of tin and lead so the melting
point is slightly lower than lead alone, but theres not much in it so be
very careful not to melt the whole shooting match.....
--
Tony Sayer

Ian Stirling

tony sayer wrote:
In article , alterego
writes
I want to make a section of lead flashing to wrap around an external
corner. This requires a soldered joint or two but I can't find out how
to do it. I'm a fairly experienced DIYer and not afraid to learn
something new. Can anyone tell me how to join two pieces of lead
please? Thanks

Err' 'um solder?.

Plumbers solder should do the trick, and a small gas blowlanp. Practise
well on some scrap first. Solder is a mix of tin and lead so the melting
point is slightly lower than lead alone, but theres not much in it so be
very careful not to melt the whole shooting match.....

I know that this causes corrosion in the case of lead-acid batteries.

You get corrosion between the solder and the lead.

I don't know if this happens with flashing in air.
R Taylor

"tony sayer" wrote in message news
In article , alterego
writes
I want to make a section of lead flashing to wrap around an external
corner. This requires a soldered joint or two but I can't find out how
to do it. I'm a fairly experienced DIYer and not afraid to learn
something new. Can anyone tell me how to join two pieces of lead
please? Thanks

Err' 'um solder?.

Plumbers solder should do the trick, and a small gas blowlanp. Practise
well on some scrap first. Solder is a mix of tin and lead so the melting
point is slightly lower than lead alone, but theres not much in it so be
very careful not to melt the whole shooting match.....

as I did, putting a neat hole in some valley flashing :-)

eventually I resorted to sticking a patch on with leadmate from screwfix
and, so far, it's still stuck & still waterproof.

RT

AJ

Ian Stirling wrote:
tony sayer wrote:

In article , alterego
writes

I want to make a section of lead flashing to wrap around an external
corner. This requires a soldered joint or two but I can't find out how
to do it. I'm a fairly experienced DIYer and not afraid to learn
something new. Can anyone tell me how to join two pieces of lead
please? Thanks

Err' 'um solder?.

Plumbers solder should do the trick, and a small gas blowlanp. Practise
well on some scrap first. Solder is a mix of tin and lead so the melting
point is slightly lower than lead alone, but theres not much in it so be
very careful not to melt the whole shooting match.....

I know that this causes corrosion in the case of lead-acid batteries.

You get corrosion between the solder and the lead.

I don't know if this happens with flashing in air.

The plumbers I have seen doing this used a oxy / aceteline kit with a
special torch which gave a very small and precise flame, they used lead
bars as the filler - not solder, the end result was superb.

They did not use blow lamp style heating probably because of the area of
heat you get from it - although the oxy / acetelyne can be hotter it is
far more precise and controllable. I suppose it depends on how much you
are doing. What might give the required heat and precision is one of the
small gas powered soldering irons - some heve small burner attachments,
might be worth buying one and practicing on some scrap lead.

tony sayer

In article , AJ
writes
Ian Stirling wrote:
tony sayer wrote:

In article , alterego
writes

[...]

Well I've used plumbers solder in the past and its been fine. Lead is OK
too except that it melts at the same temp, so unless your "very"
careful!

Still the art is in that small flame as described you don't want to melt
more then U have too.

Never known it to corrode at all...
--
Tony Sayer

IMM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , alterego
writes

I want to make a section of lead flashing to wrap around an external
corner. This requires a soldered joint or two but I can't find out how
to do it. I'm a fairly experienced DIYer and not afraid to learn
something new. Can anyone tell me how to join two pieces of lead
please? Thanks

Having watched a friend do it [1]

With a narrow strip of lead (~ 1 cm) as "solder" and a good brazing
torch or oxyacetylene

Of course, a reasonable bit of practice might be useful

[1] - he did the roof for that **** Hoogstraden's
mansion, so he must be fairly experienced

Maxie, Hoogstraden is aone of those extreme right wing people you admire, or
being a t*** is he a ladyboy?

raden

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , alterego
writes
I want to make a section of lead flashing to wrap around an external
corner. This requires a soldered joint or two but I can't find out how
to do it. I'm a fairly experienced DIYer and not afraid to learn
something new. Can anyone tell me how to join two pieces of lead
please? Thanks

Err' 'um solder?.

Plumbers solder should do the trick, and a small gas blowlanp.

No, just lead ....

It conducts the heat away quite efficiently, so you do need a decent
flame
--
geoff
raden

In message , IMM writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , alterego
writes

I want to make a section of lead flashing to wrap around an external
corner. This requires a soldered joint or two but I can't find out how
to do it. I'm a fairly experienced DIYer and not afraid to learn
something new. Can anyone tell me how to join two pieces of lead
please? Thanks

Having watched a friend do it [1]

With a narrow strip of lead (~ 1 cm) as "solder" and a good brazing
torch or oxyacetylene

Of course, a reasonable bit of practice might be useful

[1] - he did the roof for that **** Hoogstraden's
mansion, so he must be fairly experienced

Maxie, Hoogstraden is aone of those extreme right wing people you admire, or
being a t*** is he a ladyboy?

Are you so totally stupid that you didn't understand my posting ?

--
geoff

Lead flashing Dave UK diy 1 June 2nd 04 09:55 PM
How to fit lead flashing into brickwork? Cubik UK diy 7 September 27th 03 10:05 AM
Flux for lead soldering Bob Minchin UK diy 15 August 1st 03 06:37 PM
Flux for lead soldering tony sayer UK diy 1 July 26th 03 11:16 PM