Martin Angove

Default Any salvage value to old lead pipe?

Have some ceilings down in the house at the moment and could easily
remove, if it's worth it, some 25 to 30ft of old lead cold water pipe.
It's in three sections (other bits chopped out), about 6ft rising next
to the newer pipe, a run of 12 or 16ft under the upstairs floor, and a
drop of 6ft or so next to the sink in the kitchen. Didn't bother
checking, but it looks like about an inch external diameter and maybe as
little as half an inch internal.

Anyway, is there any point recovering it, and who might like to take it
off my hands if I do?

There's no reason I couldn't just leave it there; there's plenty of room
for all the other underfloor stuff, but if it is worth anything, it
might be worth 30 minutes of my time ripping it out.

Diolch!

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... The future is like the present, only longer.
MrCheerful

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
[...]

Any scrap like this is worth taking in. Just look in yellow pages for scrap
dealers and ring for a price.

MrCheerful

Tony Bryer

In article , MrCheerful
wrote:
Any scrap like this is worth taking in. Just look in yellow pages
for scrap dealers and ring for a price.

Don't expect to get rich though: IIRC lead is something like 40p/kg - or
perhaps I was done.

T i m

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:09:33 GMT, Martin Angove
wrote:

Have some ceilings down in the house at the moment and could easily
remove, if it's worth it, some 25 to 30ft of old lead cold water pipe.
It's in three sections (other bits chopped out), about 6ft rising next
to the newer pipe, a run of 12 or 16ft under the upstairs floor, and a
drop of 6ft or so next to the sink in the kitchen. Didn't bother
checking, but it looks like about an inch external diameter and maybe as
little as half an inch internal.

Anyway, is there any point recovering it,

[T] I think at the current rate for 27kg (?) of lead is +AKM-5.40 ? (1)

and who might like to take it
off my hands if I do?

http://www.letsrecycle.com/directory/index.jsp

Or chop it into 1 ft lengths and sell them as coshes at +AKM-1 each ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

(1) Assuming

OD = 24mm
ID = 14mm
Length = 8.2m
Mass of lead = 11340 kg / m^3
Value = +AKM-200 / tonne

But I could be miles out ... ;-)

Rick Dipper

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:09:33 GMT, Martin Angove wrote:
Have some ceilings down in the house at the moment and could easily
remove, if it's worth it, some 25 to 30ft of old lead cold water pipe.
It's in three sections (other bits chopped out), about 6ft rising next
to the newer pipe, a run of 12 or 16ft under the upstairs floor, and a
drop of 6ft or so next to the sink in the kitchen. Didn't bother
checking, but it looks like about an inch external diameter and maybe as
little as half an inch internal.

Anyway, is there any point recovering it, and who might like to take it
off my hands if I do?

There's no reason I couldn't just leave it there; there's plenty of room
for all the other underfloor stuff, but if it is worth anything, it
might be worth 30 minutes of my time ripping it out.

I always rip out the unused stuff, It just feels more tidy.
The local scappie will take it.

Rick

Owain

"John Rumm" wrote
| T i m wrote:
| Or chop it into 1 ft lengths and sell them as coshes at £1 each ;-)
| stretch it into wire and sell it as "tin free solder"... ;-)

sell it to someone who makes their own lead shot

Owain

StealthUK

Relative to the time taken to remove it and cost of going down the
scrappy it's not worth doing it for the beer money you'll get for it.
Regardless of the money value I think it's still worth removing
redundant pipes if you have the opportunity.
Colin Wilson

Relative to the time taken to remove it and cost of going down the
scrappy it's not worth doing it for the beer money you'll get for it.

You might get a pint or two from any anglers you have down the local pub
- they often make their own weights

Paul King

You'll expend more in effort than you'll recover in reward!

You won't get more than about 40p-50p/kilo and I doubt that a 30 foot run
would amount to much weight.

I tried this once when I removed an old cast iron bath. It was a really old,
heavy (and a pig!) bath. Rang up a scrappy for costing, and they wanted to
charge me £15 to take it away! (this was nearly 20 years ago).

However, if you could dabble in a bit of alchemy and turn it into
gold.........

Notty Pine

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Relative to the time taken to remove it and cost of going down the
scrappy it's not worth doing it for the beer money you'll get for

it.

You might get a pint or two from any anglers you have down the local

pub
- they often make their own weights

Not out of lead they don't, lead is not used anymore.

John Rouse

In article , Colin
Wilson writes
You might get a pint or two from any anglers you have down the local pub
- they often make their own weights

All the responsible anglers now avoid lead because of the problems it
causes.

J.
--
John Rouse
tarquinlinbin

wrote:

Have some ceilings down in the house at the moment and could easily
remove, if it's worth it, some 25 to 30ft of old lead cold water pipe.
It's in three sections (other bits chopped out), about 6ft rising next
to the newer pipe, a run of 12 or 16ft under the upstairs floor, and a
drop of 6ft or so next to the sink in the kitchen. Didn't bother
checking, but it looks like about an inch external diameter and maybe as
little as half an inch internal.

Anyway, is there any point recovering it, and who might like to take it
off my hands if I do?

There's no reason I couldn't just leave it there; there's plenty of room
for all the other underfloor stuff, but if it is worth anything, it
might be worth 30 minutes of my time ripping it out.

Diolch!

Hwyl!

M.

If its easy to take out then do it,if not,leave it as the financial
return is minimal at present. It wasnt always so,oh how i remember my
central heating installation days,all that old lead,old cylinders and
copper offcuts....happy days,, isnt worth bothering with now...

Stuart

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 12:58:38 -0000, "Notty Pine" wrote:

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
et...
Relative to the time taken to remove it and cost of going down the
scrappy it's not worth doing it for the beer money you'll get for

it.

You might get a pint or two from any anglers you have down the local

pub
- they often make their own weights

Not out of lead they don't, lead is not used anymore.

It is for sea fishing weights where the leads are quite heavy . Coarse
anglers it is that dont use lead for split-shot weights .
Staurt

--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:55:57 +0000, T i m wrote:

[T] But the 'black powder' boys still love it for casting their shot,

What's the connection between "black powder" and shot ? There are
very few people who use both in the same firearm and almost no-one
casts their own shot.

For casting _bullets_ (which is what black powder shooters cast), lead
pipe is near useless. It's old lead and the inside of the pipe has
some bizarre chemistry owing to a century of tapwater. It's just about
the last stuff you'd put in the caster. Wheel weights are commonplace
and usually free, harder alloys like linotype are still available
relatively cheaply.

Given the overall costs of bp shooting, and the need for a good lead
alloy if you want any sort of accuracy, then it's just not worth
folling around with old pipe.

--
Smert' spamionam

T i m

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:31:14 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:55:57 +0000, T i m wrote:

[T] But the 'black powder' boys still love it for casting their shot,

What's the connection between "black powder" and shot ? There are
very few people who use both in the same firearm and almost no-one
casts their own shot.

[T] Not being into pistols / rifles but we watched / talked to a bloke
shooting an old black powder rifle at a shooting club open day. He
showed us a two part mould he used for casting his own 'shot' which
looked very ball like to me?

For casting _bullets_ (which is what black powder shooters cast), lead
pipe is near useless. It's old lead and the inside of the pipe has
some bizarre chemistry owing to a century of tapwater. It's just about
the last stuff you'd put in the caster. Wheel weights are commonplace
and usually free, harder alloys like linotype are still available
relatively cheaply.

[T] I'm not sure this guy (or his gun) would care what the lead was
doing before he dropped it in his furnace! ;-)

Given the overall costs of bp shooting, and the need for a good lead
alloy if you want any sort of accuracy, then it's just not worth
folling around with old pipe.

[T] Indeed, but 'accuracy' didn't seem part of this guy's requirement
;-) He was on the 25m range we probably saw him take about 5 shots
(in about 50 mins). He had one 'hit' and he split the wooden pole
holding the paper target!

All the best ..

T i m

John Stumbles

news
wrote:

[...]

I collect my copper, brass and lead scraps: last time I went down the
scrappy with a couple of rubble bags of pipe and short bits, a plastic crate
full of brass stuff, couple of HW cylinders, some lead pipe and an old car
battery or 2 and got £50 or more for it. You're never going to be a
millionaire from it but it's just about worth the time taken collecting
stuff and taking to the merchant's, and gives you a nice smug feeling inside
because you're recycling it :-)

And if you're replacing a HW cylinder and taking the old one away for the
punter you're going to have to get rid of it somewhere anyway.

Toby

wrote:
Anyway, is there any point recovering it, and who might like to
take it off my hands if I do?

I collect my copper, brass and lead scraps ...and got £50 or more for it

Must be worth climbing over my garden wall to pinch an old cylinder and 20m
of lead pipe, at least that's what (I allege) the ex-window cleaners did.

--
Toby.

Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 23:44:58 -0000, John Stumbles wrote:

I collect my copper, brass and lead scraps:

So do I and add aluminium to the list as well. Once I have accumulated
a crate or two full I'll take it down the scrappy. Not worth doing
unless you have that sort of quantity though.

Ali drinks cans can be quite profitable, big bag (2' dia 3'high volume
of crushed cans is worth a few tens of pounds so if you haven't got to
drive far it's enough for quite a few beers.

You're never going to be a millionaire from it but it's just about
worth the time taken collecting stuff and taking to the merchant's,
and gives you a nice smug feeling inside because you're recycling it
:-)

Yep a crate at the back of the garage for the scrap as and when it
appears. When they get full do something about it, just as easy to
throw the scrap in that bin as the real one.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

PoP

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 10:30:05 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

drive far it's enough for quite a few beers.

There's that word again - 'beer'. Someone ought to take a hint.....

PoP

-----
If you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
message.....

Andy Hall

wrote:

drive far it's enough for quite a few beers.

There's that word again - 'beer'. Someone ought to take a hint.....

I'll pick up organising it.

Mid March? Mid week?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
PoP

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 17:22:05 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

There's that word again - 'beer'. Someone ought to take a hint.....

I'll pick up organising it.

Mid March? Mid week?

Sounds good to me. How does March 17th grab you? That's budget day and
I'm sure we all want to spend what we've got left before the wallet
gets ram-raided.....

PoP

---
If you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
message.....
T i m

wrote:

Ali drinks cans can be quite profitable, big bag (2' dia 3'high volume
of crushed cans is worth a few tens of pounds so if you haven't got to
drive far it's enough for quite a few beers.

Where do you take your stuff!

We have 3 dustbins on the back garden .. rubbish, plastic and ally.
Once the ally one is full (about a bin liner full, 2' x 3' ) I take it
to the scrappy and get less than +AKM-2 ?

The cardboard goes elswhere ..

All the best
Andy Hall

wrote:

There's that word again - 'beer'. Someone ought to take a hint.....

I'll pick up organising it.

Mid March? Mid week?

Sounds good to me. How does March 17th grab you? That's budget day and
I'm sure we all want to spend what we've got left before the wallet
gets ram-raided.....

Good plan.

Let me call a couple of pubs and check that it's OK. Did you make a
reservation at the Green Man last time or just show up?

Any other suggestions that you know?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 21:14:23 +0000, T i m wrote:

Where do you take your stuff!

We have 3 dustbins on the back garden .. rubbish, plastic and ally.
Once the ally one is full (about a bin liner full, 2' x 3' ) I take
it to the scrappy and get less than +AKM-2 ?

That funny UTF-7 encoding has come back on again. B-)

This is a while back 5 10 years ago in St Albans. Took about 10kg of
squashed ali drinks cans to the local Alcan depository.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

geoff

In message , Andy Hall
writes

Did someone mention a ****up ?

--
geoff
Andy Hall

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 23:24:41 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , Andy Hall
writes
Let me call a couple of pubs and check that it's OK. Did you make a
reservation at the Green Man last time or just show up?

Any other suggestions that you know?

Did someone mention a ****up ?

Yep. Interested?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
T i m

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 23:21:00 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 21:14:23 +0000, T i m wrote:

Where do you take your stuff!

We have 3 dustbins on the back garden .. rubbish, plastic and ally.
Once the ally one is full (about a bin liner full, 2' x 3' ) I take
it to the scrappy and get less than +AKM-2 ?

That funny UTF-7 encoding has come back on again. B-)

Hi Dave, strange? I've now also set the "Send Usenet as: ASCII" on top
of the "Default chrset: ASCII" ?

{I just went to send this and it tells me it can't send it because I
that the 'pound' symbol. I assume because it's 127 in the chr table
therefore would have to be 8bit? So do we have to type, GBP or what?}

This is a while back 5 10 years ago in St Albans. Took about 10kg of
squashed ali drinks cans to the local Alcan depository.

How prices change? Our 'Ally' bag is mainly squashed drink cans (we
have one of those can crushers so the bag is quite dense). Still under
a couple of quid the last time we went. Also in the old days they
would give you 50p for a car battery, they won't even take them now?.
I have about 1/2 tonne of stand-by batteries and contacted a recycler
about them. "If you have a tonne we would collect them for free, 1/2
tonne will cost you 50 pounds .. ".

All the best ..

T i m

Jerry Built

T i m wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
T i m wrote:
[T] But the 'black powder' boys still love it for casting their shot,

What's the connection between "black powder" and shot ? There are
very few people who use both in the same firearm and almost no-one
casts their own shot.

If Dingly means shot as in small shot for shot-guns, I would say that
he's wrong, and that no-one "casts their own". There's a particular
reason for that.

[T] Not being into pistols / rifles but we watched / talked to a bloke
shooting an old black powder rifle at a shooting club open day. He
showed us a two part mould he used for casting his own 'shot' which
looked very ball like to me?

For casting _bullets_ (which is what black powder shooters cast), lead
pipe is near useless. It's old lead and the inside of the pipe has
some bizarre chemistry owing to a century of tapwater. It's just about
the last stuff you'd put in the caster. Wheel weights are commonplace
and usually free, harder alloys like linotype are still available
relatively cheaply.

For casting lead balls lead pipe is fine. So is lead flashing! A short
story - a long time ago, two boys liked messing around, and pinched the lead
off a council garage roof in a row of similar garages, for casting
lead balls and things, and sending them through old doors! - this
flashing was great stuff! The other boy, when he was old enough to get
a car, needed a garage, too - so guess which one he got?? Anyway, I
digress - WTF do you think people used in days of yore, old carts did
not need "wheel weights"!

[T] I'm not sure this guy (or his gun) would care what the lead was
doing before he dropped it in his furnace! ;-)

Given the overall costs of bp shooting, and the need for a good lead
alloy if you want any sort of accuracy, then it's just not worth
folling around with old pipe.

[T] Indeed, but 'accuracy' didn't seem part of this guy's requirement
;-) He was on the 25m range we probably saw him take about 5 shots
(in about 50 mins). He had one 'hit' and he split the wooden pole
holding the paper target!

AFAIR in the late 1700s a musket ball fired by a competent shot would
achieve a useful result (hitting a target 150' long by 6' high at 100
yards range) only 70% or so of the time. Accuracy wasn't a particularly
achieveable thing! There was very little chance that a single shot
would hit a single man-sized target at that range.

J.B.

Mike Barnard

wrote:

Have some ceilings down in the house at the moment and could easily
remove, if it's worth it, some 25 to 30ft of old lead cold water pipe.

Anyway, is there any point recovering it, and who might like to take it
off my hands if I do?

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_877557.html?menu=

Sounds as if they'd pay handsomely!

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]

Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 07:32:17 +0000, T i m wrote:

Also in the old days they would give you 50p for a car battery, they
won't even take them now?. I have about 1/2 tonne of stand-by
batteries and contacted a recycler about them. "If you have a tonne
we would collect them for free, 1/2 tonne will cost you 50 pounds ..

I know it's daft. I used to store all my flat dry cells & NiCds etc
not wishing to put heavy metals into landfill or up incerator
chimneys. When I moved from Bristol I tried to find somewhere that
would take them. No chance, I now just bung 'em in the bin...

So much for all the hype about protecting the enviroment and
recycling.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Martin Angove

In message om,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 07:32:17 +0000, T i m wrote:

Also in the old days they would give you 50p for a car battery, they
won't even take them now?. I have about 1/2 tonne of stand-by
batteries and contacted a recycler about them. "If you have a tonne
we would collect them for free, 1/2 tonne will cost you 50 pounds ..

I know it's daft. I used to store all my flat dry cells & NiCds etc
not wishing to put heavy metals into landfill or up incerator
chimneys. When I moved from Bristol I tried to find somewhere that
would take them. No chance, I now just bung 'em in the bin...

So much for all the hype about protecting the enviroment and
recycling.

Don't forget to put a little tape across PP3 terminals - they're close
enough together to cause a short if a bit of tinfoil or wire wool comes
into contact, and that, even if the battery is "flat", might start a
fire in your bin.

It was a different situation, but I've started doing this since a fire
at a previous place of employment. We *think* it started because someone
disposed of a "dead" sealed lead-acid 12V battery into a general waste
bin which also had bits of wire and polystyrene in it. Wouldn't have been
a major problem, except that the bin was up against a wall along which was
clipped a large chunk of SWA cable taking power to one wing of the
building. Blew two of the three *incoming* fuses and forced me to wheel out
the generator. All this, of course, at some unearthly hour in the middle
of the night.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... If you know how to organize things, you will know how to enjoy them.

In uk.d-i-y, Martin Angove wrote:

Don't forget to put a little tape across PP3 terminals - they're close
enough together to cause a short if a bit of tinfoil or wire wool comes
into contact, and that, even if the battery is "flat", might start a
fire in your bin.

Or, indeed, succumb to the d-i-y obsession with not throwing *anything*
out In Case It'll Come In Useful by keeping the little plastic cap which
PP3s now ship with for the smaller terminal. I'm sad enough to keep hold
of mine and travel with them in place, when I carry a PP3 as backup
voltsource for both the mobile and the Palm. (As opposed to the two 12V
SLAs I hauled across the Glastonbury campus to keep all 4 family mobiles
on the go for the whole extended weekend... damn, they were heavy! but
useful).

Stefek
dmc

In article om,
Dave Liquorice wrote:

So much for all the hype about protecting the enviroment and
recycling.

Our local council tip (Folkestone) has a collection thingy for old batteries.

Dunno what they do with them though - probably take them to landfill

Darren

PoP

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 23:24:41 +0000, geoff wrote:

Did someone mention a ****up ?

A quiet beer and a good moan about the government more like

Anyone who needs to make their wallet lighter is more than welcome

Andy - no reservation at The Green Man, but my wife and I popped in a
few days earlier to enquire about that - they said just turn up

PoP

---
If you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
message.....

Andy Hall

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 16:34:33 +0000, PoP wrote:

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 23:24:41 +0000, geoff wrote:

Did someone mention a ****up ?

A quiet beer and a good moan about the government more like

Anyone who needs to make their wallet lighter is more than welcome

Andy - no reservation at The Green Man, but my wife and I popped in a
few days earlier to enquire about that - they said just turn up

PoP

OK. Well, since the 17th is a Wednesday, it shouldn't be too busy.

I'll put up a separate thread later.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Pete C

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 22:42:37 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

I know it's daft. I used to store all my flat dry cells & NiCds etc
not wishing to put heavy metals into landfill or up incerator
chimneys. When I moved from Bristol I tried to find somewhere that
would take them. No chance, I now just bung 'em in the bin...

Will your local tip not take them?

cheers,
Pete.
geoff

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 23:24:41 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , Andy Hall
writes
Let me call a couple of pubs and check that it's OK. Did you make a
reservation at the Green Man last time or just show up?

Any other suggestions that you know?

Did someone mention a ****up ?

Yep. Interested?

I will be soon, when things slow down a bit

.... and when I get bored with my diet - 1 stone in two weeks Rah !

--
geoff
Alex Bird

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message ill.com...

I know it's daft. I used to store all my flat dry cells & NiCds etc

I know an organisation which took theirs to France (they were going
anyway) as the nearest place they would recycle them.

Alex
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 20:22:05 +0000, Pete C wrote:

Will your local tip not take them?

Not at that time as a separate collection.

These days we don't have a local tip, so the ordinary "dust cart"
takes everything from ordinary domestic waste to defunct televisions,
furniture (sofas etc) and even fridges/freezers. Humped into the back
and crushed, no attempt to recover/contain the refridgerant...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail