Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Will Resin Coating on paving tiles crack?

We have small red tiles laid down in the front of the house. They are
very solidly laid so i don't want to dig them up.

But after some thirty years the frost is breaking them up.

I have seen recently a new thing consisting of tiny round stones set in
a kind of Resin placed around planted trees on top of the soil.

Can i place these tiny stones in Resin on top of the tiles or will any
vehicle driven on them just crack it up?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2020 11:13, john west wrote:
We have small red tiles laid down in the front of the house. They are
very solidly laid so i don't want to dig them up.

But after some thirty years the frost is breaking them up.

I have seen recently a new thing consisting of tiny round stones set in
a kind of Resin placed around planted trees on top of the soil.

Can i place these tiny stones in Resin on top of the tiles or will any
vehicle driven on them just crack it up?

Yes, the weight of a vehicle will slowly grind away the stones where
the vehicle wheels are positioned. Also the moss tends to get into it
and is impossible to remove. There is at least one example near me
that was applied into sound concrete driveway and 12 years on it
looks really shabby and patchy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2020 11:13, john west wrote:
We have small red tiles laid down in the front of the house. They are
very solidly laid so i don't want to dig them up.

But after some thirty years the frost is breaking them up.

I have seen recently a new thing consisting of tiny round stones set in
a kind of Resin placed around planted trees on top of the soil.

Can i place these tiny stones in Resin on top of the tiles or will any
vehicle driven on them just crack it up?

Have a google for resin bonded driveways. Lots of people are getting
them installed round here.

Personally, I hate the appearance. They are just a uniform, bland
expanse. That is until there's some defect, and they show every blemish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Could i just lay cement on top of them and how thick would it have to
be to cope with a car and the occasional transit van?

I've also noticed a stony kind of tarmac on road repairs and people's
sloping driveways coming from the pavement. I think this would look
better than just cement? What is this kind of tarmac with the stones
commercially called please. Thanks

On 07/07/2020 13:22, GB wrote:
On 07/07/2020 11:13, john west wrote:
We have small red tiles laid down in the front of the house. They are
very solidly laid so i don't want to dig them up.

But after some thirty years the frost is breaking them up.

I have seen recently a new thing consisting of tiny round stones set
in a kind of Resin placed around planted trees on top of the soil.

Can i place these tiny stones in Resin on top of the tiles or will any
vehicle driven on them just crack it up?

Have a google for resin bonded driveways. Lots of people are getting
them installed round here.

Personally, I hate the appearance. They are just a uniform, bland
expanse. That is until there's some defect, and they show every blemish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

john west wrote:

Could i just lay cement on top of them and how thick would it have to
be to cope with a car and the occasional transit van?

you mean concrete? 4" maybe 6"

I've also noticed a stony kind of tarmac on road repairs and people's
sloping driveways coming from the pavement. I think this would look
better than just cement?Â* What is this kind of tarmac with the stones
commercially called please.Â* Thanks

asphalt with chippings rolled-in? Not everyone's favourite

https://dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7673089

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 July 2020 18:51:01 UTC+1, john west wrote:
Could i just lay cement on top of them and how thick would it have to
be to cope with a car and the occasional transit van?

Check the McCormack paving expert site.

I've also noticed a stony kind of tarmac on road repairs and people's
sloping driveways coming from the pavement. I think this would look
better than just cement? What is this kind of tarmac with the stones
commercially called please. Thanks

Bitmac. Tarmac disappeared from use long ago. Bitmac is much the same.

NT

Resin 'paving'. R D S[_2_] UK diy 30 January 13th 19 08:20 PM
Shower Tray - Resin Stone V Resin Polymer Markt UK diy 1 December 6th 10 05:20 PM
Shower Tray - Resin Stone V Resin Polymer Markt UK diy 0 December 6th 10 12:51 PM
Paving over existing paving robert UK diy 1 March 27th 08 07:01 PM
Resin Shower Tray Coating Chris O UK diy 0 April 29th 05 06:08 PM