Old January 10th 19, 06:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Resin 'paving'.

I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

Old January 10th 19, 06:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

probably not allowed under current building regs. Surfaces like drives need
to be permeable.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old January 10th 19, 06:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote in
:

In article ,
R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil
pipe so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the
resin stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

probably not allowed under current building regs. Surfaces like drives
need to be permeable.

Pehaps worth sorting out the manholes - not as big a job as you may fear.
Old January 10th 19, 06:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/01/2019 18:19, charles wrote:
In article ,
R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

probably not allowed under current building regs. Surfaces like drives need
to be permeable.

That might apply to new builds but as a replacement for an existing
concrete slab?

--
Adam
Old January 10th 19, 06:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/19 18:19, charles wrote:
In article ,
R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

probably not allowed under current building regs. Surfaces like drives need
to be permeable.

Maybe if you are doing one from scratch, but what if you are replacing
one impermeable surface (concrete) by another (resin)? Is there a
difference if the resin in laid on top of the concrete, or the concreter
removed first and the resin laid on a prepared base? If the latter, do
the base and resin have to be permeable?

--

Jeff

Old January 10th 19, 06:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2019 18:00, R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

Depends a bit on what you mean by resin... there are several variations.
E.g:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/resin.htm

Not tried it myself, but can see it ought to be DIYable.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old January 10th 19, 08:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

probably not allowed under current building regs. Surfaces like drives need
to be permeable.

*or* have drains to a soakaway

*or* slope so that the rain drains onto the owner's land.

You absolutely CAN have any surface you like - you just have to make
sure rain goes into the ground.

--
Email does not work
Old January 10th 19, 09:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 10 January 2019 18:00:49 UTC, R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

no need to fear doing blockwork round oddly angled drains.

NT
Old January 10th 19, 09:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

probably not allowed under current building regs. Surfaces like drives need
to be permeable.

Non-permeable surfaces are allowed, but they must drain to a soakaway.

SteveW

Old January 11th 19, 11:00 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
I fancy doing some paving at the back of our house to replace some
poorly laid concrete.

There are a couple of manholes at jaunty angles though and a soil pipe
so I can see a lot of cutting and faffing so wondered about the resin
stuff that I'm seeing advertised for drives.

Anyone got any opinion or experience? Is it DIYable?

probably not allowed under current building regs. Surfaces like drives need
to be permeable.

Non-permeable surfaces are allowed, but they must drain to a soakaway.

You now need planning permission to install a non-permeable
driveway, in order for the local water authority to be brought
into the loop to confirm your plans for drainage are acceptable
to them (e.g. soakaways have to be set well back from your
boundary, and many gardens aren't big enough for that).

A recent new build near me had some interesting problems with
this, as they didn't have enough garden left around the house
to handle the rain water soaking in. Water authority made them
install a giant underground grey water tank (which can be up
to the boundary), and I believe the house has to use this for
things like toilet flushing. It overflows into the street
surface water drainage, but they are charged for doing that.

For the last several years, water authorities have the right
to charge you for rain water run-off from your land. They've
been going around all the commerical properties adding that
levy to the water bill, but AFAIK haven't started on residential
properties yet except when some relevant modification has
taken place.

--
Andrew Gabriel