Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Help with rounddown excel formula

I have this formula
=(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77
the answer is 0.758

I want to use rounddown (I think) so that the answer is 0.75

I tried formatting the cell to 2 x decimal points but that takes it to 0.76

Anyone?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17:11 1 Jul 2020, ss said:

I have this formula
=(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77
the answer is 0.758

I want to use rounddown (I think) so that the answer is 0.75

I tried formatting the cell to 2 x decimal points but that takes it to 0.76

Anyone?

You could truncate the number using Excel's TRUNC fucntion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

I have this formula
=(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77
the answer is 0.758

I want to use rounddown (I think) so that the answer is 0.75

I tried formatting the cell to 2 x decimal points but that takes it to 0.76

I think you just want =ROUNDDOWN((K10+L10-O10)*$P$77, 2)

works in LibreOffice anyway and seems to be as defined for excel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=excel+round+down

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

the answer is 0.758
I want to use rounddown (I think) so that the answer is 0.75

Don't forget

salami += answer - rounded_down_answer;

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 01/07/2020 17:21, Andy Burns wrote:
ss wrote:

I have this formula
=(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77
the answer is 0.758

I want to use rounddown (I think) so that the answer is 0.75

I tried formatting the cell to 2 x decimal points but that takes it to
0.76

I think you just want =ROUNDDOWN((K10+L10-O10)*$P$77, 2)

works in LibreOffice anyway and seems to be as defined for excel

That comes up with error message "too few arguments"
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 01/07/2020 17:19, Pamela wrote:
On 17:11 1 Jul 2020, ss said:

I have this formula
=(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77
the answer is 0.758

I want to use rounddown (I think) so that the answer is 0.75

I tried formatting the cell to 2 x decimal points but that takes it to 0.76

Anyone?

You could truncate the number using Excel's TRUNC fucntion.

When I use.
(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77+TRUNC(0.758,2)
It returns 1.508
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17:11 1 Jul 2020, ss said:

I have this formula
=(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77
the answer is 0.758

I want to use rounddown (I think) so that the answer is 0.75

I tried formatting the cell to 2 x decimal points but that takes it to 0.76

Anyone?

You could truncate the number using Excel's TRUNC fucntion.

When I use.
(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77+TRUNC(0.758,2)
It returns 1.508

I think thats because youve not only calculated your answer, but then
added on the truncated form of 0.758. (0.758 + 0.75 = 1.508)

At a guess I would expect something more like
=TRUNC((K10+L10-O10)*$P$77),2. (To be honest , I dont do excel any more
and the last 2 might be meant to be inside he last bracket).

Im no expert but I cant see why youve typed in the answer (0.758) that
your sheet should be calculating.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17:11Â* 1 Jul 2020, ss said:

I have this formula
=(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77
the answer is 0.758

I want to use rounddown (I think) so that the answer is 0.75

I tried formatting the cell to 2 x decimal points but that takes it
to 0.76

Anyone?

You could truncate the number using Excel's TRUNC fucntion.

When I use.
(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77+TRUNC(0.758,2)
It returns 1.508

Eliminate refs to cells we can't see. Paste in a cell

=ROUNDDOWN(0.199,2)

and report the result.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 17:11 1 Jul 2020, ss said:

I have this formula
=(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77
the answer is 0.758

I want to use rounddown (I think) so that the answer is 0.75

I tried formatting the cell to 2 x decimal points but that takes it to 0.76

Anyone?

You could truncate the number using Excel's TRUNC fucntion.

When I use.
(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77+TRUNC(0.758,2)
It returns 1.508

I think thats because youve not only calculated your answer, but then
added on the truncated form of 0.758. (0.758 + 0.75 = 1.508)

At a guess I would expect something more like
=TRUNC((K10+L10-O10)*$P$77),2. (To be honest , I dont do excel any more
and the last 2 might be meant to be inside he last bracket).

TRUNC((K10+L10-O10)*$P$77,2) that worked

Im no expert but I cant see why youve typed in the answer (0.758) that
your sheet should be calculating.

Thats what it was calculating

ok so that rounded .758 to .75, which unfortunately didnt solve my
problem. It has to do with my gas bill/statement, it is 1p out.
All my figures on spreadsheet match the statement figures but for some
reason excel is adding an extra 1p and I am damned if I can find it.

See attached, I`ll get it eventually, if I auto sum the 3 figures
concerned in a separate cell it gives me the £15.90 (correct answer) but
in the spreadshhet it returns £15.91 (the CV figure is correct) I just
cant work out where it is picking up the extra 1p.

https://imgur.com/cInzoSb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17:11Â* 1 Jul 2020, ss said:

I have this formula
=(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77
the answer is 0.758

I want to use rounddown (I think) so that the answer is 0.75

I tried formatting the cell to 2 x decimal points but that takes it
to 0.76

Anyone?

You could truncate the number using Excel's TRUNC fucntion.

When I use.
(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77+TRUNC(0.758,2)
It returns 1.508

I think thats because youve not only calculated your answer, but then
added on the truncated form of 0.758.Â* (0.758 + 0.75 = 1.508)

At a guess I would expect something more like
=TRUNC((K10+L10-O10)*$P$77),2. (To be honest , I dont do excel any more
and the last 2 might be meant to be inside he last bracket).

TRUNC((K10+L10-O10)*$P$77,2) that worked

Im no expert but I cant see why youve typed in the answer (0.758) that
your sheet should be calculating.

Thats what it was calculating

ok so that rounded .758 to .75, which unfortunately didnt solve my
problem.Â* It has to do with my gas bill/statement, it is 1p out.
All my figures on spreadsheet match the statement figures but for some
reason excel is adding an extra 1p and I am damned if I can find it.

See attached, I`ll get it eventually, if I auto sum the 3 figures
concerned in a separate cell it gives me the £15.90 (correct answer) but
in the spreadshhet it returns £15.91 (the CV figure is correct) I just
cant work out where it is picking up the extra 1p.

https://imgur.com/cInzoSb

Maybe at the other end they are calculating to more significant figures
than they are presenting in your bill. In which case "your" calculation
might well be out by 1p.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

if I auto sum the 3 figures concerned in a separate cell it gives me the
£15.90 (correct answer) but in the spreadshhet it returns £15.91 (the CV
figure is correct) I just cant work out where it is picking up the extra
1p.

https://imgur.com/cInzoSb

If you've formatted all your cells to 2 decimal places, then sum those
cells, the answer will include the extra decimal places you've hidden

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
On 17:11 1 Jul 2020, ss said:

[...]

A penny? And I thought it was for something important. ;-)

Life is way too short to worry about stuff like that.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 01/07/2020 22:49, Tim+ wrote:
A penny? And I thought it was for something important.;-)

Life is way too short to worry about stuff like that.

The penny is not important but getting the spreadsheet to work properly
is or more to the point understanding why it doesnt. :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 01/07/2020 20:23, Robin wrote:
When I use.
(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77+TRUNC(0.758,2)
It returns 1.508

Eliminate refs to cells we can't see.Â* Paste in a cell

=ROUNDDOWN(0.199,2)

and report the result.

I dont quite understand your reply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

I have this formula
=(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77
the answer is 0.758

I want to use rounddown (I think) so that the answer is 0.75

I tried formatting the cell to 2 x decimal points but that takes it to
0.76

I think you just want =ROUNDDOWN((K10+L10-O10)*$P$77, 2)

works in LibreOffice anyway and seems to be as defined for excel

That comes up with error message "too few arguments"

Perhaps you typed a dot instead of the comma. You will have to give
more details about your spreadsheet if you expect others to help you.

Are the three figures on the right of your screenshot of the sheet
typed in, or are they calculated from elsewhere? Assumed column
letters don't tie up with your posted formula. What is in cell $P$77?
If it makes 0.758 from 15.90 it must be 0.0047672955

£2.86+£12.29 = £15.15. VAT at 5% = £0.7575, not £0.75 as shown.
Strange it's not given 3 decimal places like all the other VAT
figures. Perhaps you calculate VAT at 5% rather than take what your
bill says? If so it would round up to an extra penny.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2020 20:26, ss wrote:

See attached, I`ll get it eventually, if I auto sum the 3 figures
concerned in a separate cell it gives me the £15.90 (correct answer) but
in the spreadshhet it returns £15.91 (the CV figure is correct) I just
cant work out where it is picking up the extra 1p.

https://imgur.com/cInzoSb

ok the problem is that they are calculating the results from multiplying
the number of kWh by the price each, then the number of days times the
standing charge per day. Then working out the VAT and adding it all up.

However they are also formatting the output at each stage to a currency
- which means the figures they show (and the ones you are using in your
sheet) are not accurate representations of the intermediate values. So
each time you take a result figure from the bill you are including a
small rounding error into your source data. Once you add them all
together you get a different bottom line.

If I recreate a bit of the calc, but do the sum in they way they do I get:

Item Qty Price Total

Gas 409 3.004 12.28636

SC 30 0.0952 2.856

VAT @ 5% 0.757118

Total 15.899478

Formatted £15.90

If however you add 12.29 + 2.86 + 0.76, you will get 15.91

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message ...

ok so that rounded .758 to .75, which unfortunately didnt solve my problem. It has to
do with my gas bill/statement, it is 1p out.
All my figures on spreadsheet match the statement figures but for some reason excel is
adding an extra 1p and I am damned if I can find it.

See attached, I`ll get it eventually, if I auto sum the 3 figures concerned in a
separate cell it gives me the £15.90 (correct answer) but in the spreadshhet it returns
£15.91 (the CV figure is correct) I just cant work out where it is picking up the extra
1p.

https://imgur.com/cInzoSb

Both your spreadsheet and the bill only show values to 2 decimal places.

Whereas the figures on which these calculations are based, are to 3 or more
decimal places.

And so they could show a different final result, if rounding up is done at
different stages of the calculation

Possibly for accounting purposes the utilities may need to calculate bill
totals to 2 decimal places before applying VAT. If VAT is then applied to
this figure and the total again rounded up to 2 decimal places then this
may give a different result than if the rounding up is done only once on
the final total; as it is in your spreadsheet.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:

Both your spreadsheet and the bill only show values to 2 decimal places.

Whereas the figures on which these calculations are based, are to 3 or more
decimal places.

And so they could show a different final result, if rounding up is done at
different stages of the calculation

Possibly for accounting purposes the utilities may need to calculate bill
totals to 2 decimal places before applying VAT. If VAT is then applied to
this figure and the total again rounded up to 2 decimal places then this
may give a different result than if the rounding up is done only once on
the final total; as it is in your spreadsheet.

HMRC allows supplier to calculate, round and then total the VAT per line
of an invoice, rather than calculate the net total, and then add VAT and
round it.

eg. you might have calc VAT separately on standing charge and the energy
supplied.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2020 08:44, Andy Burns wrote:
michael adams wrote:

Both your spreadsheet and the bill only show values to 2 decimal places.

Whereas the figures on which these calculations are based, are to 3 or
more
decimal places.

And so they could show a different final result, if rounding up is
done at
different stages of the calculation

Possibly for accounting purposes the utilities may need to calculate bill
totals to 2 decimal places before applying VAT. If VAT is then applied to
this figure and the total again rounded up to 2 decimal places then this
may give a different result than if the rounding up is done only once on
the final total; asÂ* it is in your spreadsheet.

HMRC allows supplier to calculate, round and then total the VAT per line
of an invoice, rather than calculate the net total, and then add VAT and
round it.

eg. you might have calc VAT separately on standing charge and the energy
supplied.

Indeed. And to make matters more complicated still there are options for
rounding line by line: down to the nearest 0.1p; or up/down to the
nearest or 0.5 or 1p And they can still then round down the total -
if they want to. I gave up years ago trying to match VAT precisely on
multi-line invoices.

PS
retailers have more/different options

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2020 23:11, ss wrote:
On 01/07/2020 20:23, Robin wrote:
When I use.
(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77+TRUNC(0.758,2)
It returns 1.508

Eliminate refs to cells we can't see.Â* Paste in a cell

=ROUNDDOWN(0.199,2)

and report the result.

I dont quite understand your reply.

I meant that we cannot know just what your formula involves because it
uses cells in your worksheet. I suggested you test with a simple number
- 0.199 - to see if ROUNDDOWN works.

But I agree with others that it's not worth bothering about differences
of a penny or so. And if you really want to pursue it then you need you
to first work out which method your supplier is using to arrive at its
VAT total.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss Wrote in message:
On 01/07/2020 20:23, Robin wrote:
When I use.
(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77+TRUNC(0.758,2)
It returns 1.508

Eliminate refs to cells we can't see. Paste in a cell

=ROUNDDOWN(0.199,2)

and report the result.

I dont quite understand your reply.

Your "methods" at work again perchance?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2020 09:58, Robin wrote:
On 01/07/2020 23:11, ss wrote:
On 01/07/2020 20:23, Robin wrote:
When I use.
(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77+TRUNC(0.758,2)
It returns 1.508

Eliminate refs to cells we can't see.Â* Paste in a cell

=ROUNDDOWN(0.199,2)

and report the result.

I dont quite understand your reply.

I meant that we cannot know just what your formula involves because it
uses cells in your worksheet.Â* I suggested you test with a simple number
- 0.199 - to see if ROUNDDOWN works.

But I agree with others that it's not worth bothering about differences
of a penny or so.Â* And if you really want to pursue it then you need you
to first work out which method your supplier is using to arrive at its
VAT total.

While true, it is useful to understand how to do financial calcs in such
a way that you don't run into rounding errors along the way. A penny on
a single gas bill is nothing to worry about, a penny on everybody's bill
is quite a different matter!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 02/07/2020 01:03, John Rumm wrote:
ok the problem is that they are calculating the results from multiplying
the number of kWh by the price each, then the number of days times the
standing charge per day. Then working out the VAT and adding it all up.

However they are also formatting the output at each stage to a currency
- which means the figures they show (and the ones you are using in your
sheet) are not accurate representations of the intermediate values. So
each time you take a result figure from the bill you are including a
small rounding error into your source data. Once you add them all
together you get a different bottom line.

If I recreate a bit of the calc, but do the sum in they way they do I get:

ItemÂ*Â*Â* QtyÂ*Â*Â* PriceÂ*Â*Â* Total

GasÂ*Â*Â* 409Â*Â*Â* 3.004Â*Â*Â* 12.28636

SCÂ*Â*Â* 30Â*Â*Â* 0.0952Â*Â*Â* 2.856

VAT @ 5%Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 0.757118

TotalÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 15.899478

FormattedÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* £15.90

If however you add 12.29 + 2.86 + 0.76, you will get 15.91

Thats solved the issue John. Now have it calculating correctly.

https://imgur.com/g4ahmeS
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2020 23:11, ss wrote:
On 01/07/2020 20:23, Robin wrote:
When I use.
(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77+TRUNC(0.758,2)
It returns 1.508

Eliminate refs to cells we can't see.Â* Paste in a cell

=ROUNDDOWN(0.199,2)

and report the result.

I dont quite understand your reply.

I meant that we cannot know just what your formula involves because it
uses cells in your worksheet.Â* I suggested you test with a simple
number - 0.199 - to see if ROUNDDOWN works.

But I agree with others that it's not worth bothering about
differences of a penny or so.Â* And if you really want to pursue it
then you need you to first work out which method your supplier is
using to arrive at its VAT total.

While true, it is useful to understand how to do financial calcs in such
a way that you don't run into rounding errors along the way. A penny on
a single gas bill is nothing to worry about, a penny on everybody's bill
is quite a different matter!

I can't quarrel with that. My point was that there is no one right way
to deal with VAT on a utility bill and it's not always possible to work
out from one bill which method they have used.

You very possibly know the methods by heart I looked them up to
refresh my memory and in case anyone else cares:

"17.5.1 Calculation based on lines of goods or services

If you wish to work out the VAT separately for a line of goods or
services, which are included with other goods or services in the same
invoice, you should calculate the separate amounts of VAT by rounding in
one of the following ways:

down to the nearest 0.1p - for example, 86.76p would be rounded
down to 86.7p
to the nearest 1p or 0.5p - for example, 86.76p would be rounded up
to 87p

Whatever you decide, you must be consistent.

The final total amount of VAT payable may be rounded down to the nearest
whole penny.

17.5.2 Calculation based on tax per unit or per article

If you want to work out the VAT per unit or per article (for example,
for use in price lists), you must work out the amounts in one of the
following ways:

4 digits after the decimal point and then round to 3 digits - for
example, if the VAT is £0.0024, it should be rounded to £0.002 (0.2p)

the nearest 1p or 0.5p - if you decide to do this, you must not
round the VAT down to €˜nil on any unit or article that is liable at the
standard or reduced rate, for example, if the VAT is £0.0024 it should
be rounded to £0.005 (0.5p)"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-guid...-700#section17

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 02/07/2020 08:05, michael adams wrote:
Both your spreadsheet and the bill only show values to 2 decimal places.

Whereas the figures on which these calculations are based, are to 3 or more
decimal places.

And so they could show a different final result, if rounding up is done at
different stages of the calculation

Possibly for accounting purposes the utilities may need to calculate bill
totals to 2 decimal places before applying VAT. If VAT is then applied to
this figure and the total again rounded up to 2 decimal places then this
may give a different result than if the rounding up is done only once on
the final total; as it is in your spreadsheet.

I had previously emailed the company when I switched to them asking for
what items and how many decimal points they used, but the guys on the
other end only know whats on the statement and not how the calculations
are arrived at.
Issue is now resolved.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2020 23:11, ss wrote:
On 01/07/2020 20:23, Robin wrote:
When I use.
(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77+TRUNC(0.758,2)
It returns 1.508

Eliminate refs to cells we can't see.Â* Paste in a cell

=ROUNDDOWN(0.199,2)

and report the result.

I dont quite understand your reply.

I meant that we cannot know just what your formula involves because
it uses cells in your worksheet.Â* I suggested you test with a simple
number - 0.199 - to see if ROUNDDOWN works.

But I agree with others that it's not worth bothering about
differences of a penny or so.Â* And if you really want to pursue it
then you need you to first work out which method your supplier is
using to arrive at its VAT total.

While true, it is useful to understand how to do financial calcs in
such a way that you don't run into rounding errors along the way. A
penny on a single gas bill is nothing to worry about, a penny on
everybody's bill is quite a different matter!

I can't quarrel with that.Â* My point was that there is no one right way
to deal with VAT on a utility bill and it's not always possible to work
out from one bill which method they have used.

Yup, sure.

(although you can re-run the calcs yourself from the prices and
quantities and get a feel for what they have done. Its not much
practical use!)

You very possibly know the methods by heart I looked them up to
refresh my memory and in case anyone else cares:

"17.5.1 Calculation based on lines of goods or services

If you wish to work out the VAT separately for a line of goods or
services, which are included with other goods or services in the same
invoice, you should calculate the separate amounts of VAT by rounding in
one of the following ways:

Â*Â*Â* down to the nearest 0.1p - for example, 86.76p would be rounded
down to 86.7p
Â*Â*Â* to the nearest 1p or 0.5p - for example, 86.76p would be rounded up
to 87p

Whatever you decide, you must be consistent.

I suppose the "optimal" option would be to construct your invoices such
that they yield the lowest possible VAT total, and hope that your
suppliers have not done likewise. That way you get the maximum clawback
from HMRC (given that before paying VAT collected on sales to HMRC you
deduct all VAT you paid on purchases).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2020 17:11, ss wrote:
I have this formula
=(K10+L10-O10)*$P$77
the answer is 0.758

I want to use rounddown (I think) so that the answer is 0.75

I tried formatting the cell to 2 x decimal points but that takes it to 0.76

Anyone?

Try this:

Multiply the unrounded number by 100, truncate it to an integer, and
then divide by 100.

So your 0.758 becomes 75.8 and then 75 and then 0.75

So, if A1 contains your 0.758, put a formula in A2 (say): =INT(A1*100)/100

If you didn't want to use two cells, you could combine that with your
original formula in a single cell -something like:
=INT((K10+L10-O10)*$P$77*100)/100

--
Cheers,
Roger

Help with excel formula ss UK diy 27 May 7th 15 09:39 PM
Microsoft Excel and Excel Services 2010 Tiger UK diy 1 October 11th 11 05:03 PM
OT; Excel help please The Medway Handyman[_2_] UK diy 22 March 11th 10 07:22 PM
Excel Print Routine Help Stacey Chuffo Electronics Repair 0 April 13th 09 11:26 AM
Converting Excel 2007 Nested "If" Statement to Excel 2003: Overcom Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 0 June 24th 08 05:08 PM