Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Scissor sharpening - done it.

Over the years, I have many times tried and failed to sharpen scissors.
Lots of blunt scissors here and our last two pairs of sharp ones became
useless last week for hair cutting, so I ordered some new ones.

Nothing to lose, I did a bit of research on scissor sharpening methods
and decided to have a go with a set of diamond files I happened to
have. In the past, I have only tried filing with a normal file, the
small edge of the blade, with a normal, fine, metal file.

This time I used my fine diamond file, on the wide flat of the blade
and on the narrow edge of the blade. It worked, good as new, so I
tackled the rest of the scissors with success.

One sharpening method used fine wet and dry type paper, just using the
scissors to cut the paper - I just couldn't understand how that might
work. Another method involved cutting several layers of aluminium foil
- again I couldn't see how that might work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2020 11:03, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

One sharpening method used fine wet and dry type paper, just using the
scissors to cut the paper - I just couldn't understand how that might
work. Another method involved cutting several layers of aluminium foil -
again I couldn't see how that might work.

Are you saying that that did work?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that GB formulated :
On 30/06/2020 11:03, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

One sharpening method used fine wet and dry type paper, just using the
scissors to cut the paper - I just couldn't understand how that might work.
Another method involved cutting several layers of aluminium foil - again I
couldn't see how that might work.

Are you saying that that did work?

I could not see how those methods might work, so I didn't try them at
all.