Grant Erwin

Default old scissor jack now works! PIX (was " electrolytic derustingof a bearing?")

Got this old boy running fine. The thrust bearing you can see has been
cleaned up. I just soaked it in vinegar and salt overnight and rinsed
thoroughly in hot water and then regreased it. There's a tiny hint of
crunch but overall it works fine now, easily turns with just my fingers.

This jack is probably rated for at least a ton. It was made back in the
glory days of US manufacturing. Lots of lettering cast in. It came to me
completely frozen. I just worked in some Kroil and wiped the body off a
little and then worked on the bearing. Now it's ready to go another 100 years
or so!

http://www.tinyisland.com/images/Sci...WithHandle.jpg
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/Sci...ckLeftSide.jpg
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/Sci...ack/BigBoy.jpg

GWE
Tim Wescott

Grant Erwin wrote:

Got this old boy running fine. The thrust bearing you can see has been
cleaned up. I just soaked it in vinegar and salt overnight and rinsed
thoroughly in hot water and then regreased it. There's a tiny hint of
crunch but overall it works fine now, easily turns with just my fingers.

This jack is probably rated for at least a ton. It was made back in the
glory days of US manufacturing. Lots of lettering cast in. It came to me
completely frozen. I just worked in some Kroil and wiped the body off a
little and then worked on the bearing. Now it's ready to go another 100
years
or so!

http://www.tinyisland.com/images/Sci...WithHandle.jpg
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/Sci...ckLeftSide.jpg
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/Sci...ack/BigBoy.jpg

GWE

I have an old house jack that I need to restore -- the pad rests on a
shoulder on the jack screw. Either the shoulder or the pad is worn (or
both). Unfortunately it was designed to last forever, so the pad is
retained by the peened end of the shaft -- I have to grind off the
flange, weld some material onto shaft and pad, turn it up nice, etc.

Or I need to dig ditches for a few hours & buy a new jack at Home Depot
-- but that wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Lawrence L'Hote

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Got this old boy running fine. The thrust bearing you can see has been
cleaned up. I just soaked it in vinegar and salt overnight and rinsed
thoroughly in hot water and then regreased it. There's a tiny hint of
crunch but overall it works fine now, easily turns with just my fingers.

This jack is probably rated for at least a ton. It was made back in the
glory days of US manufacturing. Lots of lettering cast in. It came to me
completely frozen. I just worked in some Kroil and wiped the body off a
little and then worked on the bearing. Now it's ready to go another 100
years
or so!

Gonna paint it what color?

Larry

John Ings

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 09:40:00 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Got this old boy running fine.

Here's a trick I use on all my scissor jacks. Find an old
half-inch-drive socket that will fit into the ears where that
mickey-mouse jack handle is supposed to go. Weld the sucker in there!
Then you can use either a half-inch-drive handle or a half-inch-drive
ratchet to crank the jack up. When lifting an engine to change a motor
mount or some such job where you have to get way under the vehicle,
it's a lot easier to use a ratchet handle with a turn of the wrist
than try to crank around on a wobby bent-wire crank.

And of course if you've got an air-drive ratchet...

Grant Erwin

Gonna paint it what color?

Larry

Old oil colored. Ain't it purty? - GWE

Bushy Pete

You just chew the thread to pieces and the jack collapses on you!

Don't ever trust an old scissor jack, when the thread lets go, it comes down
in a hurry.

I know from experience getting caught between the garage wall and the 1970
tiny little Corolla and that was being jacked up with a V8 Ford scissor
jack. It stripped the threads out of the nut! And almost stripped my
nuts!!!!!!

Hope this helps,
Peter