Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old Cutting Discs

I have about 60 off 155mm x 2mm cutting discs of the German 'Pferd' Horse
Elastic Brand and they have been in the shed since 1990. They look quite
sound and sound like crockery when pinged, but no ring. The resin is still
very hard. Any thoughts on them being unsafe.....anyone ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 09:06:46 +0000, Smolley wrote:

I have about 60 off 155mm x 2mm cutting discs of the German 'Pferd'
Horse Elastic Brand and they have been in the shed since 1990. They look
quite sound and sound like crockery when pinged, but no ring. The resin
is still very hard. Any thoughts on them being unsafe.....anyone ?

Whats the use by date on them?
Dont use them if they are beyond their date, they do deteriorate, and
make a real mes when they disintegrate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2020 10:25, Alan wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 09:06:46 +0000, Smolley wrote:

I have about 60 off 155mm x 2mm cutting discs of the German 'Pferd'
Horse Elastic Brand and they have been in the shed since 1990. They look
quite sound and sound like crockery when pinged, but no ring. The resin
is still very hard. Any thoughts on them being unsafe.....anyone ?

Whats the use by date on them?
Dont use them if they are beyond their date, they do deteriorate, and
make a real mes when they disintegrate.

You mean they make a mess of the operator, or just a lot of dust? I'm
quite risk-averse, and I like the number of limbs and fingers I was born
with. It's an even number.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Smolley writes
I have about 60 off 155mm x 2mm cutting discs of the German 'Pferd' Horse
Elastic Brand and they have been in the shed since 1990. They look quite
sound and sound like crockery when pinged, but no ring. The resin is still
very hard. Any thoughts on them being unsafe.....anyone ?

No views about your particular discs but suspect the date warnings might
be health and safety overkill.

In 40 or so years, I have never had any disc fail (9", 5" and 4.5")
other than through extreme misuse. Even then it was only the cutting
edge shredding with any bits contained by the guard.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

?

Whats the use by date on them?
Dont use them if they are beyond their date, they do deteriorate, and
make a real mes when they disintegrate.

No obvious 'use by date' on box or discs:

80 EH 115-2 A 46 SG
DSA Nr. 375
SUVA Nr. 282
KDM Nr. 37
80m/sec
Max 13300 RPM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2020 10:56, GB wrote:
On 30/06/2020 10:25, Alan wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 09:06:46 +0000, Smolley wrote:

I have about 60 off 155mm x 2mm cutting discs of the German 'Pferd'
Horse Elastic Brand and they have been in the shed since 1990. They look
quite sound and sound like crockery when pinged, but no ring. The resin
is still very hard. Any thoughts on them being unsafe.....anyone ?

Whats the use by date on them?
Dont use them if they are beyond their date, they do deteriorate, and
make a real mes when they disintegrate.

You mean they make a mess of the operator, or just a lot of dust? I'm

Mostly the former, but can be both - if they fail they tend to fly apart
in fragments - and they might be doing ~180 mph.

quite risk-averse, and I like the number of limbs and fingers I was born
with. It's an even number.

Yup, I do wonder when I see people standing inline with the disc using
grinders with the guard removed!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2020 11:07, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Smolley writes
I have about 60 off 155mm x 2mm cutting discs of the German 'Pferd' Horse
Elastic Brand and they have been in the shed since 1990. They look quite
sound and sound like crockery when pinged, but no ring. The resin is
still
very hard. Any thoughts on them being unsafe.....anyone ?

No views about your particular discs but suspect the date warnings might
be health and safety overkill.

In 40 or so years, I have never had any disc fail (9", 5" and 4.5")
other than through extreme misuse. Even then it was only the cutting
edge shredding with any bits contained by the guard.

+1. Got my first angle grinder in about 1975.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 30/06/2020 10:25, Alan wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 09:06:46 +0000, Smolley wrote:

I have about 60 off 155mm x 2mm cutting discs of the German 'Pferd'
Horse Elastic Brand and they have been in the shed since 1990. They look
quite sound and sound like crockery when pinged, but no ring. The resin
is still very hard. Any thoughts on them being unsafe.....anyone ?

Whats the use by date on them?
Dont use them if they are beyond their date, they do deteriorate, and
make a real mes when they disintegrate.

You mean they make a mess of the operator,

Yes, if the operator gets in the way of the
high speed flying jagged bits of the disc.

or just a lot of dust?

Nope, you get jagged bits.

I'm quite risk-averse, and I like the number of limbs and fingers I was
born with. It's an even number.

Then you had best dump them if they are past their useby date.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 10:20:57 +0000, Smolley wrote:

No obvious 'use by date' on box or discs:

80 EH 115-2 A 46 SG DSA Nr. 375 SUVA Nr. 282 KDM Nr. 37 80m/sec Max
13300 RPM

The date could be stamped on the metal mounting hole.
Info about disc markings:
https://www.highspeedtraining.co.uk/hub/grinding-wheel-marking-system/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 05:40:58 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 19:51:33 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 30/06/2020 11:07, Tim Lamb wrote:
In 40 or so years, I have never had any disc fail (9", 5" and 4.5")
other than through extreme misuse. Even then it was only the cutting
edge shredding with any bits contained by the guard.

+1. Got my first angle grinder in about 1975.

Yeup -- but these are 2mm discs, though, and correspondingly more fragile.

To add information: about/over a quid a piece, "professional use/high
performance " line. I'd expect this to be true, and not marketing, as Pferd is a
reputable company. Best-before could be a dot-matrix year printed on the label
-- that's where it is on todays discs.

Seeing that these sheet-metal cutting discs go down to 0.8mm, and knowing how
the tiny Dremel discs frag -- I'm more careful in using these than with a 1/4"
thick wheel. And I try to assume they will fragment nastily, and try to stand
and aim accordingly. I'd never use them without a guard.

Thomas Prufer