Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default Old Cutting Discs

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 19:51:33 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 30/06/2020 11:07, Tim Lamb wrote:
In 40 or so years, I have never had any disc fail (9", 5" and 4.5")
other than through extreme misuse. Even then it was only the cutting
edge shredding with any bits contained by the guard.

+1. Got my first angle grinder in about 1975.

Yeup -- but these are 2mm discs, though, and correspondingly more fragile.

To add information: about/over a quid a piece, "professional use/high
performance " line. I'd expect this to be true, and not marketing, as Pferd is a
reputable company. Best-before could be a dot-matrix year printed on the label
-- that's where it is on todays discs.

Seeing that these sheet-metal cutting discs go down to 0.8mm, and knowing how
the tiny Dremel discs frag -- I'm more careful in using these than with a 1/4"
thick wheel. And I try to assume they will fragment nastily, and try to stand
and aim accordingly. I'd never use them without a guard.

Thomas Prufer