Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paint emulsions, vinyl and contract

I had a massive tub of brilliant white emulsion part used and I gave it
to the bloke helping with painting and he said no, don't want to use
that, it isn't vinyl emulsion, it's contract emulsion. He said look at
the label and indeed it didn't say vinyl, just emulsion I said what sort
of emulsion is it then? he said contract, not vinyl and we got no
further with that conversation.

So what is non vinyl contract emulsion, and more to the point what is it
good for and why is it no good?

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 21:54:14 +0100, TimW wrote:

I had a massive tub of brilliant white emulsion part used and I gave it
to the bloke helping with painting and he said no, don't want to use
that, it isn't vinyl emulsion, it's contract emulsion. He said look at
the label and indeed it didn't say vinyl, just emulsion I said what sort
of emulsion is it then? he said contract, not vinyl and we got no
further with that conversation.

So what is non vinyl contract emulsion, and more to the point what is it
good for and why is it no good?

TW

It might be what I used on a recently plastered wall. The plasterer said
that the wall should be left for 6 months but, if it had to be done soon it
should have a few days and then use a non-vinyl paint as lets the moisture
through.
As an aside, madam wanted the ceiling done in textured paint to cover the
Artex to some extent. Got it at B&Q, mile to carry it back. Well, 10 li
would be enough weight but this stuff wasn't textured, it had limestone
chippings in. Weighed about 12+ kg and the handle was just plain wire. I'd
nothing to use for padding so it was swap hands and stop for a rest about
every 100 yards.
In use it didn't drip - it dropped. Odd stones falling off and pinging on
the floor. Needed 2 coats as wall.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2020 21:54, TimW wrote:
I had a massive tub of brilliant white emulsion part used and I gave it
to the bloke helping with painting and he said no, don't want to use
that, it isn't vinyl emulsion, it's contract emulsion. He said look at
the label and indeed it didn't say vinyl, just emulsion I said what sort
of emulsion is it then? he said contract, not vinyl and we got no
further with that conversation.

So what is non vinyl contract emulsion, and more to the point what is it
good for and why is it no good?

TW

Contract paint is for (generally) new plaster and is used pretty much
as an undercoat . It is not durable and can't be washed down like vinyl
matts can.
Some do leave it as a finish coat though as it goes on very evenly on
large surfaces . Quite often it is used in factorys, industrial sites
etc where cheapness rules over longevity (it's going to get repainted in
a couple of years anyway when the re-branding happens).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup wrote:
On 21/06/2020 21:54, TimW wrote:
[...]

Is it *really* a specific type of paint? I always thought the (fairly
recent) proliferation of 'Trade' and 'Contract' versions of paints and
similar were simply trying to sell the idea that they were what the
professionals use.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I guess the point was, it had no description, so it could be anything. Most
good paint should tell you about its base. I know if you mix different
brands you can get some odd results like flaking or even a subtle change of
hue in certain light conditions. Of course I don't care these days, but I
can imagine he did not want any disputes later on.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"TimW" wrote in message
I had a massive tub of brilliant white emulsion part used and I gave it to
the bloke helping with painting and he said no, don't want to use that, it
isn't vinyl emulsion, it's contract emulsion. He said look at the label and
indeed it didn't say vinyl, just emulsion I said what sort of emulsion is
it then? he said contract, not vinyl and we got no further with that
conversation.

So what is non vinyl contract emulsion, and more to the point what is it
good for and why is it no good?

TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2020 10:22, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I guess the point was, it had no description, so it could be anything. Most
good paint should tell you about its base. I know if you mix different
brands you can get some odd results like flaking or even a subtle change of
hue in certain light conditions. Of course I don't care these days, but I
can imagine he did not want any disputes later on.
Brian

I've noticed differences with some solvent based paints when cleaning
brushes in white spirit.

With some paints the solids will drop out of the white spirit to the
bottom of the container within a week leaving a nearly clear white
spirit that can be decanted off for re-use.

With some other paints the solids/pigment stays in solution for months
with very little dropping to the bottom of the container. Even after 2
or 3 months the the cleaning liquid (white spirit) is extremely cloudy.
It's still OK for the initial wash of the brush but a second clean with
less contaminated white spirit is required.

Recently I've had two cans of Leyland solvent based paint (identical
cans/description/type) where the paint from one can has touch dried in
around 4 hours whilst the paint from the other remained tacky to the
touch for 12 hours. Both were gloss applied to a an appropriate Leyland
undercoat that had been applied many days before.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2020 09:27, Chris Green wrote:
soup wrote:
On 21/06/2020 21:54, TimW wrote:
[...]

- sounds like just what i need for my damp stone shed walls.
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
soup wrote:
Contract paint is for (generally) new plaster and is used pretty much
as an undercoat . It is not durable and can't be washed down like vinyl
matts can.
Some do leave it as a finish coat though as it goes on very evenly on
large surfaces . Quite often it is used in factorys, industrial sites
etc where cheapness rules over longevity (it's going to get repainted in
a couple of years anyway when the re-branding happens).

Is it *really* a specific type of paint? I always thought the (fairly
recent) proliferation of 'Trade' and 'Contract' versions of paints and
similar were simply trying to sell the idea that they were what the
professionals use.

I'm confused because I thought there was 'emulsion' - paint that would wipe
off if you wet it - and 'vinyl', that wouldn't. You did the rooms in
emulsion and the bathroom in vinyl. Now all the emulsion seems to be vinyl,
and there's things like Dulux Diamond...

In general terms I understood:

'Trade' means they put some pigment in it rather than retail paint which is
homeopathically weak and needs 17 coats to get any coverage (labour is free
for DIYers, obviously)

'Contract' means it's cheap and nasty because the customer didn't specify
anything better.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 21:54:14 +0100, TimW wrote:

So what is non vinyl contract emulsion, and more to the point what is it
good for and why is it no good?

Designed, as someone said, to go on newly plastered walls, and to go
on quickly. When I worked for Crown, nearly 20 years ago now, we sold
loads of it to contractors - get it? They had their own version,
called Covermatt. Might have been available in only white and
magnolia. Can't remember now.
In retail the vinyl gives it some body and allows it to be wiped down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2020 17:08, Peter Johnson wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 21:54:14 +0100, TimW wrote:

So what is non vinyl contract emulsion, and more to the point what is it
good for and why is it no good?

Designed, as someone said, to go on newly plastered walls, and to go
on quickly. When I worked for Crown, nearly 20 years ago now, we sold
loads of it to contractors - get it? They had their own version,
called Covermatt. Might have been available in only white and
magnolia. Can't remember now.
In retail the vinyl gives it some body and allows it to be wiped down.

This was crown. it's great, it covers bare plaster in two coats.
TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2020 21:54, TimW wrote:
I had a massive tub of brilliant white emulsion part used and I gave it
to the bloke helping with painting and he said no, don't want to use
that, it isn't vinyl emulsion, it's contract emulsion. He said look at
the label and indeed it didn't say vinyl, just emulsion I said what sort
of emulsion is it then? he said contract, not vinyl and we got no
further with that conversation.

So what is non vinyl contract emulsion, and more to the point what is it
good for and why is it no good?

TW

Just as an extra point 'Contract' emulsion has more solids that retail
emulsion, gets better coverage in less coats.
McPherson & Johnson are examples of good contract emulsions.