Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Resin Bound Gravel

Folks,

I have a small gravel patch outside my back door. At times we seem to
get more gravel tramped into the house so I was thinking of resin
bonding it. Has any one else done this themselves or had it done for
them. Some articles suggest using a small concrete mixer, is this
necessary for a small area? Is it porous as suggested on most adverts?
How long lasting is it.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2020 11:54, David Wade wrote:
Folks,

I have a small gravel patch outside my back door. At times we seem to
get more gravel tramped into the house so I was thinking of resin
bonding it. Has any one else done this themselves or had it done for
them. Some articles suggest using a small concrete mixer, is this
necessary for a small area? Is it porous as suggested on most adverts?
How long lasting is it.

Dave

I would have thought for a small area you could knock it up by hand,
much as we used to for concrete. Porosity will depend on the
epoxy/gravel ratio. You only want a very dry mix so you are merely
minimally coating each pebblette of gravel so when laid they stick
together but do not seal all the gaps between individual pebblettes as
obviously that will totally seal it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2020 11:54, David Wade wrote:
Folks,

I have a small gravel patch outside my back door. At times we seem to
get more gravel tramped into the house so I was thinking of resin
bonding it. Has any one else done this themselves or had it done for
them. Some articles suggest using a small concrete mixer, is this
necessary for a small area? Is it porous as suggested on most adverts?
How long lasting is it.

Dave

A neighbour had this stuff done to his concrete drive. After about
15 years the resin fails and it collects moss and is impossible to
clean without loosening even more of the pea-shingle.

I would consider a more hard-wearing surface if I was you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2020 19:20, Andrew wrote:
On 21/06/2020 11:54, David Wade wrote:
Folks,

I have a small gravel patch outside my back door. At times we seem to
get more gravel tramped into the house so I was thinking of resin
bonding it. Has any one else done this themselves or had it done for
them. Some articles suggest using a small concrete mixer, is this
necessary for a small area? Is it porous as suggested on most adverts?
How long lasting is it.

Dave

A neighbour had this stuff done to his concrete drive. After about
15 years the resin fails and it collects moss and is impossible to
clean without loosening even more of the pea-shingle.

I would consider a more hard-wearing surface if I was you.

Andy,

I am 66 so that takes me to 81 when my Dad died, I think that will do me
nicely..

Dave