Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT exploding tins

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 15:55:47 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

12 months ago, just before I scrapped the car, I went to the supermarket
and
bought a number of multipacks of tinned drinks

Now I am suffering from these tins spontaneously "exploding" and
depositing
most of their contents over the floor of the cupboard. (6th one today)

The thing is, there's no evidence of a hole in the tin(s)

when I find the offending item, it is obvious because it is lighter than
the
rest

but it isn't squashy, and none of the liquid remaining in the tin escapes
if
I tip it over

what gives here?

Presumably you don't mean exploding in the sense that there's a dull
thud from the cupboard, and on investigation you find there's a tin
split down one side.

Nope, no split at all

Were they fizzy drinks?

Yup,

Opening what remains of the tin and the usual "pop" of gas comes out

what I can't understand here is why this gas isn't leaking out of whatever
hole it was that the first 50% of the fluid leaked out of, leaving the tin
limp and squishy

Is the cupboard warm?

Not especially.

Has
some fermentation taken place?

How can I possibly know?

Do the tins look swollen?

Nope

Physically no different from the others, except that they are lighter

Still have the same solidity from the tin caused by them being full of gas

Not from your
description, otherwise you'd be able to identify them immediately
without having to heft them. So internal pressure seems unlikely. I
assume that the tin has just slowly leaked;

they don't seem to slowly leak

The pool of liquid occurs very quickly

possibly a batch of tins
with faulty seams.

so why isn't this obvious after the leak?

One thing is, they are a few months out of date, but it's ridiculous to
suggest that moulded tins fail over time

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Likely its such a small hole it takes considerable pressure
to get half the fluid out.

[...]

Not if they develop a tiny hole due to being stamped from a sheet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 19:33:32 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

but the remaining gas is still under pressure

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

But not as much pressure as originally I bet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 20:17:00 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The solution is to send an unopened one to either the company or
distributor, they might thank you and send you some free ones?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
The solution is to send an unopened one to either the company or
distributor, they might thank you and send you some free ones?

well I would

were they not past their "use by" date

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

The solution is to send an unopened one

Better to send one of the leaked ones.

to either the company or distributor, they might thank you and send you
some free ones?

I'd make them replace all of them because there
is no way of knowing which ones will leak in future.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 07:42:07 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

OT exploding tins TimW UK diy 9 June 17th 20 04:58 PM
OT exploding tins Rod Speed UK diy 8 June 17th 20 11:29 AM
OT exploding tins [email protected] UK diy 4 June 17th 20 08:50 AM
Protecting paint tins from frost ben UK diy 4 July 7th 03 10:33 PM