Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT exploding tins

"tim..." wrote in message
12 months ago, just before I scrapped the car, I went to the supermarket
and bought a number of multipacks of tinned drinks

Now I am suffering from these tins spontaneously "exploding" and
depositing most of their contents over the floor of the cupboard. (6th
one today)

The thing is, there's no evidence of a hole in the tin(s)

when I find the offending item, it is obvious because it is lighter than
the rest

but it isn't squashy, and none of the liquid remaining in the tin escapes
if I tip it over

what gives here?

Likely just a bad batch of cans.

What sort of can, aluminium or steel ?

If the are aluminum, are the ones that leak standing upright or upside down
?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 06:38:43 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."
"MID: .com"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message
12 months ago, just before I scrapped the car, I went to the
supermarket and bought a number of multipacks of tinned drinks

Now I am suffering from these tins spontaneously "exploding" and
depositing most of their contents over the floor of the cupboard.
(6th one today)

The thing is, there's no evidence of a hole in the tin(s)

when I find the offending item, it is obvious because it is lighter
than the rest

but it isn't squashy, and none of the liquid remaining in the tin
escapes if I tip it over

what gives here?

Likely just a bad batch of cans.

What sort of can, aluminium or steel ?

If the are aluminum, are the ones that leak standing upright or upside
down

ali

upright

This article discusses some of the physics of canning beer.
I doubt they would write an article about soda pop like this.

https://brewingindustryguide.com/the...ing-beer-cans/

I've had soda cans leak and leave a puddle around the can (but not
explode). Exploding implies the carbonation has come out
of solution - or, something in there is fermenting. The
carbonation comes out of solution at high temperatures.
The slack volume in the can, determines what kind of a
problem such will cause.

You can also cause the CO2 to leave the fluid by shaking
the can. But it settles after a period of time and goes
back to equilibrium. In theory, the can is mechanically
strong enough for the can contents in either state. Then
it's a question of what kind of temperatures it can handle.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message
12 months ago, just before I scrapped the car, I went to the supermarket
and bought a number of multipacks of tinned drinks

Now I am suffering from these tins spontaneously "exploding" and
depositing most of their contents over the floor of the cupboard. (6th
one today)

The thing is, there's no evidence of a hole in the tin(s)

when I find the offending item, it is obvious because it is lighter than
the rest

but it isn't squashy, and none of the liquid remaining in the tin
escapes if I tip it over

what gives here?

Likely just a bad batch of cans.

What sort of can, aluminium or steel ?

If the are aluminum, are the ones that leak standing upright or upside
down

ali

upright

Most likely a bad batch that have small pin holes at the bottom.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 19:28:15 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rodent:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message
[...]

so why does only 50% of the contents come out, with the remaining (gaseous)
contents keeping the tin firm?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"tim..." wrote in message
[...]

Because the internal pressure drops until it no longer
is enough to force more liquid out the very small hole
but still enough for the can to still feel firm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Who or What is Rod Speed?"

"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."