Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT exploding tins

On 16/06/2020 15:55, tim... wrote:
12 months ago, just before I scrapped the car, I went to the supermarket
and bought a number of multipacks of tinned drinks

Now I am suffering from these tins spontaneously "exploding" and
depositing most of their contents over the floor of the cupboard.Â* (6th
one today)

The thing is, there's no evidence of a hole in the tin(s)

when I find the offending item, it is obvious because it is lighter than
the rest

but it isn't squashy, and none of the liquid remaining in the tin
escapes if I tip it over

what gives here?

I had a few individual tonic waters do that. Strange, I thought, not out
of date, just leaked.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 21:51:16 +0100, TimW wrote:

On 16/06/2020 15:55, tim... wrote:
12 months ago, just before I scrapped the car, I went to the
supermarket and bought a number of multipacks of tinned drinks

Now I am suffering from these tins spontaneously "exploding" and
depositing most of their contents over the floor of the cupboard.Â* (6th
one today)

The thing is, there's no evidence of a hole in the tin(s)

when I find the offending item, it is obvious because it is lighter
than the rest

but it isn't squashy, and none of the liquid remaining in the tin
escapes if I tip it over

what gives here?

I had a few individual tonic waters do that. Strange, I thought, not out
of date, just leaked.

I had one out of eight diet coke cans do that, couldn't find where the
leak came from on the aluminium can. As someone said, probably a bad
folded seam.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2020 15:55, tim... wrote:
12 months ago, just before I scrapped the car, I went to the
supermarket and bought a number of multipacks of tinned drinks

Now I am suffering from these tins spontaneously "exploding" and
depositing most of their contents over the floor of the cupboard. (6th
one today)

The thing is, there's no evidence of a hole in the tin(s)

when I find the offending item, it is obvious because it is lighter
than the rest

but it isn't squashy, and none of the liquid remaining in the tin
escapes if I tip it over

what gives here?

I had a few individual tonic waters do that. Strange, I thought, not out
of date, just leaked.

I had one out of eight diet coke cans do that, couldn't find where the
leak came from on the aluminium can. As someone said, probably a bad
folded seam.

Aluminium cans dont have seams on the body of the can, only on the top.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 19:34:53 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FredXX to Rodent Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
we shipped the likes of you out of the British Isles. Perhaps stupidity
and criminality is inherited after all?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2020 15:55, tim... wrote:
[...]

for once

Rod is 100% correct here

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2020 15:55, tim... wrote:
12 months ago, just before I scrapped the car, I went to the supermarket
and bought a number of multipacks of tinned drinks

Now I am suffering from these tins spontaneously "exploding" and
depositing most of their contents over the floor of the cupboard.* (6th
one today)

The thing is, there's no evidence of a hole in the tin(s)

when I find the offending item, it is obvious because it is lighter than
the rest

but it isn't squashy, and none of the liquid remaining in the tin
escapes if I tip it over

what gives here?

I had a few individual tonic waters do that. Strange, I thought, not out
of date, just leaked.

Had a 500g pot of yogurt do that, 18 days within its time-to-go-bang date.
White yogurt, white fridge, clean everything just in case.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 11:07:16 +0100, tim... wrote:

Aluminium cans don¢t have seams on the body of the can, only on the top.

for once

Rod is 100% correct here

Typewriters and monkeys...
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2020 15:55, tim... wrote:
12 months ago, just before I scrapped the car, I went to the supermarket
and bought a number of multipacks of tinned drinks

Now I am suffering from these tins spontaneously "exploding" and
depositing most of their contents over the floor of the cupboard.Â* (6th
one today)

The thing is, there's no evidence of a hole in the tin(s)

when I find the offending item, it is obvious because it is lighter than
the rest

but it isn't squashy, and none of the liquid remaining in the tin
escapes if I tip it over

what gives here?

I had a few individual tonic waters do that. Strange, I thought, not out
of date, just leaked.

Had a 500g pot of yogurt do that, 18 days within its time-to-go-bang date.
White yogurt, white fridge, clean everything just in case.

I kept an emergency tin of condensed 'nestles' milk in the back of
the cupboard. By the time it was ten years past its sell by date I
opened it out of interest but it had turned into a lump of
pale brown jelly. I would have thought the sugar content would
have made it keep, but I guess milk proteins don't keep.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2020 15:55, tim... wrote:
[...]

pale brown jelly.Â* I would have thought the sugar content would
have made it keep, but I guess milk proteins don't keep.

what a waste...love condensed milk.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2020 15:55, tim... wrote:
[...]

I got three tins in Lidl before the panic buying started, then
it vanished but its now back on the shelves in Sainburys.

OT exploding tins Rod Speed UK diy 8 June 17th 20 11:29 AM
OT exploding tins [email protected] UK diy 4 June 17th 20 08:50 AM
storing half-used paint tins - any point? Jon UK diy 17 July 16th 05 12:26 AM
Softening old tins of polyurethane Timothy Murphy UK diy 4 August 30th 04 03:28 AM
Protecting paint tins from frost ben UK diy 4 July 7th 03 10:33 PM