Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Prep to start hardly used 2 stroke chainsaw

The saw is a 2 stroke Makita that I bought maybe 12-14 years ago. It still looks new and had very little use; maybe a couple of small jobs, soon after I bought it.

It's difficult to admit being such a gob****e, but I think that the saw still had fuel in it when I last hung it on the garage wall and left it to fester, ten or more years ago.

I have not attempted to start the saw, so other than caked on fuel residue, there should be very little wrong with it, mechanically, *right now*. Of course, that could all change as soon as the starter cord is pulled. The question, then, is: are there steps that I can take to minimise the risk of damage when I make a first attempt to start it? My first thoughts are to drain any existing fluids, remove spark plug, rinse the tank and the combustion chamber with fresh fuel and perhaps leave overnight.

Any advice, or bets on outcome?

Cheers.

Ant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 11 June 2020 07:36:41 UTC+1, wrote:
The saw is a 2 stroke Makita that I bought maybe 12-14 years ago. It still looks new and had very little use; maybe a couple of small jobs, soon after I bought it.

It's difficult to admit being such a gob****e, but I think that the saw still had fuel in it when I last hung it on the garage wall and left it to fester, ten or more years ago.

I have not attempted to start the saw, so other than caked on fuel residue, there should be very little wrong with it, mechanically, *right now*. Of course, that could all change as soon as the starter cord is pulled. The question, then, is: are there steps that I can take to minimise the risk of damage when I make a first attempt to start it? My first thoughts are to drain any existing fluids, remove spark plug, rinse the tank and the combustion chamber with fresh fuel and perhaps leave overnight.

Don't fret.
Drain petrol put in fresh, (2T) don't forget.
Pull the cord a few times.
Get some "Easy Start",(Halfords) remove air cleaner & squirt in replace air cleaner.
Probably start easily.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry laid this down on his screen :
Probably start easily.

Unless the carburettor is gummed up with fuel and oil residues.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

You don't have to get yourself dirty you know.

There are small engine repair shops that can clean it up
for you. And those are a good source of repair, once
they're past their "peak" load of machines to fix.

Was it kept in a dry location, or left outdoors ?

If left for 12-14 years, there could be rust. It
could be seized.

*******

This is the first video I looked at, to show how
a DIYer does it. Cans of spray chemicals. He basically
just wants to pull the gum through the carb and needle
valve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tD4q3NYZto

One chemical is to "loosen and lubricate" the cylinder.
You pull the spark plug and put a ten second burst of some
oil and solvent to help free up the piston. Screw the
spark plug back in, and let it sit for ten minutes
to "work".

He also liberally doses the air intake with
diethyl ether. (Note: Don't wave that stuff
around if any open flames, cigarettes, pipes,
or heat sources are around!) I'm surprised he
didn't start a fire with that stuff. Usually,
it doesn't end well if feeding that stuff to
an engine. One mistake, is spraying that stuff
on a hot engine block. (The engine in this
case is cold.)

And he had a third material, but I did not catch
what it's purpose might be. The suggestion here,
is it was a carb cleaner. So he cheated and added
something to the fresh gas after all. He wasn't
as careless as he looked.

https://www.berrymanproducts.com/que...-cycle-engine/

And it took a lot of pulls to start that thing.
He did almost as much work, as someone starting a
briquette based barbecue.

With the money he is earning from the video, soon
he'll be able to afford a new pump.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2020 07:36, wrote:
[...]

I would drain, and flush with petrol as you describe. The refuel with
the proper 2 stroke mix. Then before you start trying to start for the
first time, remove the spark plug and pull gently and make sure it turns
over easily. Assuming that is ok, then try refit the plug and follow the
normal procedure.

What works for my DC430 is to give it a couple of pulls with the choke
on, and ignition off. Then turn on the ignition, and set the throttle to
the start position. It normally then starts first or second pull.

(ISTR someone posting (some years ago) a procedure for rebuilding the
carb on these if required)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The saw is a 2 stroke Makita that I bought maybe 12-14 years ago.
It still looks new and had very little use; maybe a couple of small
jobs, soon after I bought it.

It's difficult to admit being such a gob****e, but I think that the
saw still had fuel in it when I last hung it on the garage wall and
left it to fester, ten or more years ago.

I have not attempted to start the saw, so other than caked on fuel
residue, there should be very little wrong with it, mechanically,
*right now*. Of course, that could all change as soon as the
starter cord is pulled. The question, then, is: are there steps
that I can take to minimise the risk of damage when I make a first
attempt to start it? My first thoughts are to drain any existing
fluids, remove spark plug, rinse the tank and the combustion
chamber with fresh fuel and perhaps leave overnight.

A quick clean, a bit of lubrication and fresh fuel mix should help. The
old stuff still in the pipes may mean it is a bit unwilling at first.

Don't fret. Drain petrol put in fresh, (2T) don't forget. Pull the
cord a few times. Get some "Easy Start",(Halfords) remove air cleaner
& squirt in replace air cleaner. Probably start easily.

It might not at that age. Carburettor or fuels pipes may be suspect.

Mine and my neighbours strimmers both failed to wake up this year. His
first. The fuel pipes had denatured with age and swollen internally with
a sort of gel making it impossible for the thing to get fuel properly.
It could barely manage a stutter let alone run.

Replacement fuel pipe is dirt cheap on eBay so it isn't a show stopper.
It was fine once the engine could actually get some fuel into it.

The mechanism that deploys strimmer cord remains just as annoying as
ever though...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2020 07:36, wrote:
[...]

I have a bit of a collection of old saws and often some are not started
for years. I seldom have problems with fuel becoming stale but it can't
be bad to drain the fuel and get fresh in as the more volatile fractions
may have diffused away.

The only serious problem I encounter with a saw that has been left with
fuel in it is where it has drained into the crankcase and evaporated,
leaving the oil in the crankcase which soon fouls the spark plug.. If it
doesn't start in the normal manner (3 pushes on the purge bulb if it has
one, choke and ignition on, 4 or 5 pulls. If it fires choke in, if it
doesn't 4 or 5 pulls with choke off and repeat with choke on. If it
doesn't fire then I would take the spark plug out and check for spark.

I have one saw without a purge bulb that always takes 7 pulls with the
choke on before it fires from cold.