Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to re-start a warm (but not hot) 2 stroke strimmer?

I recently bought a Ryobi RLT-30CES strimmer to use instead of my
RBC-1000EX electric one where extension leads won't reach. They both
use the same "quick change" attachment system and I'm pretty happy
with them.

However I find the petrol one very difficult to *re-start* if I have
stopped for a few minutes, for example to change attachments.

I can start it from cold with no problems, it sometimes takes a little
while to warm up and run consistently but that's all. I don't think
I've ever had a problem starting from cold.

Similarly if it's hot, i.e. I've just stopped it for a few seconds for
some reason, then it just restarts with a pull of the cord. I usually
find that it's easier to restart with the throttle left at tickover in
this case.

..... but if it's warm, as opposed to hot, I'm finding it a real pig to
restart. Is there some consistent technique on can use to avoid, on
the one hand, flooding it, but on the other hand to be sure it's
getting a rich enough mixture to start?

The cold start sequence is:-

Pump to fill the carburretor bowl.
Four pulls with full choke.
Switch to half choke.
Pull and it should start (needs some throttle)
Wait to warm up
Switch to no choke

The hot start sequence (according to the manual) is:-
Check there's fuel in the carburretor bowl.
Pull and it should start

So, what do I do next if it *doesn't* start when hot? Go to half
choke and try again, do the whole cold start sequence (except pumping
to fill the bowl), or what? What often seems to happen is that I get
worn out trying to restart it, I remove the plug and give it a few
pulls to ensure it's not flooded and then a cold start sequence works
because it is just about cold.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Aug, 09:43, wrote:
I recently bought a Ryobi RLT-30CES strimmer

However I find the petrol one very difficult to *re-start* if I have
stopped for a few minutes, for example to change attachments.

I have this problem too (two Ryobis). It's OK cold or hot, but a pig
when warm. So I don't stop it when it's warm until it's thoroughly
warmed up. Start it cold and run it light for a while to get it good
and warm. Don't be in too much of a hurry to cut something with it, in
case it stalls while it's still in the "slightly warm" stage.

Another tip is to check that the cylinder is bolted firmly to the
crankcase! One of mine came loose here, and of course on a two-stroke
that's a loss of compression. No wonder it was being awkward. Only
took a few minuites to tighten it up again, but you need to pop the
tank and the end off the crankcase to get access and the screws are
one of the rarer intermediate Torx sizes (27?) that you might not
always have to hand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 21 Aug, 09:43, wrote:
I recently bought a Ryobi RLT-30CES strimmer

However I find the petrol one very difficult to *re-start* if I have
stopped for a few minutes, for example to change attachments.

I have this problem too (two Ryobis). It's OK cold or hot, but a pig
when warm. So I don't stop it when it's warm until it's thoroughly
warmed up. Start it cold and run it light for a while to get it good
and warm. Don't be in too much of a hurry to cut something with it, in
case it stalls while it's still in the "slightly warm" stage.

OK, thanks, it's not just me then. As you say, knowing there's an
issue when starting warm means one can avoid doing it as far as
possible. I just wondered if I was doing something wrong.

Another tip is to check that the cylinder is bolted firmly to the
crankcase! One of mine came loose here, and of course on a two-stroke
that's a loss of compression. No wonder it was being awkward. Only
took a few minuites to tighten it up again, but you need to pop the
tank and the end off the crankcase to get access and the screws are
one of the rarer intermediate Torx sizes (27?) that you might not
always have to hand.

I'll do that, I had (a longish time ago) a McCulloch strimmer that had
exactly that problem.

--
Chris Green

strimmer conked out djbatwa Electronics Repair 2 May 29th 06 08:57 PM
Vaillant Turbomax 828E - Warm start problems? Gravesy UK diy 3 March 20th 06 06:58 PM
Strimmer David UK diy 2 June 4th 05 10:50 AM
strimmer motor won't start... The Natural Philosopher UK diy 14 May 13th 04 04:55 PM