Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Zafira horn buttons

Got a 52 Reg Zafira and recently one horn button has failed to work intermittently.
It will only work when the steering wheel is turned slightly to one side so I guess it is a wiring loom issue?

My query is, how much of a job is it to replace without risking the air bag going off.

The MOT is due in July and a new loom looks to cost around £15. The Zafira is well worth repairing as it has only done 28,000 miles in 18 years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bazza wrote in
:

Got a 52 Reg Zafira and recently one horn button has failed to work
intermittently. It will only work when the steering wheel is turned
slightly to one side so I guess it is a wiring loom issue?

My query is, how much of a job is it to replace without risking the
air bag going off.

The MOT is due in July and a new loom looks to cost around £15. The
Zafira is well worth repairing as it has only done 28,000 miles in 18
years.

I need to fix a Toyota Aygo indicator switch that requires the steering
wheel and airbag to be removed. A YouTube video doesn't even bother to
disconnect the battery - as he says the airbag needs to be triggered by
a voltage - so any handling or disconnection is not likely to cause a
problem. He made the point though not to turn on the ignition otherwise
it will throw up a fault code for faulty airbag that will need to be
reset by a dealer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bazza wrote in
:

Got a 52 Reg Zafira and recently one horn button has failed to work
intermittently. It will only work when the steering wheel is turned
slightly to one side so I guess it is a wiring loom issue?

My query is, how much of a job is it to replace without risking the
air bag going off.

The MOT is due in July and a new loom looks to cost around £15. The
Zafira is well worth repairing as it has only done 28,000 miles in 18
years.

Try this for ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg8JHcxEW2E
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bazza formulated on Tuesday :
My query is, how much of a job is it to replace without risking the air bag
going off.

Disconnect the car's battery, then wait an hour before starting work.
Air bag should be safely discharged then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote in
:

Bazza formulated on Tuesday :
My query is, how much of a job is it to replace without risking the
air bag going off.

Disconnect the car's battery, then wait an hour before starting work.
Air bag should be safely discharged then.

I think I would - but logic tells me that the airbag needs to be triggered
by something in the car that would not be active when the ignition is off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 02/06/2020 08:38, Bazza wrote:
Got a 52 Reg Zafira and recently one horn button has failed to work intermittently.
It will only work when the steering wheel is turned slightly to one side so I guess it is a wiring loom issue?

My query is, how much of a job is it to replace without risking the air bag going off.

The MOT is due in July and a new loom looks to cost around £15. The Zafira is well worth repairing as it has only done 28,000 miles in 18 years.

My Combo passed 5 MOTs with just one button working.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2020 10:53, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Bazza formulated on Tuesday :
My query is, how much of a job is it to replace without risking the
air bag going off.

Disconnect the car's battery, then wait an hour before starting work.
Air bag should be safely discharged then.

I asked my mechanic mate about this recently when I thought I might have
to remove the steering wheel of my 04 plate Master. He told me that this
is no longer an issue, even for something that old. Obviously, you don't
switch the ignition on and off while fiddling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 02/06/2020 21:47, newshound wrote:
On 02/06/2020 10:53, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Bazza formulated on Tuesday :
My query is, how much of a job is it to replace without risking the
air bag going off.

Disconnect the car's battery, then wait an hour before starting work.
Air bag should be safely discharged then.

I asked my mechanic mate about this recently when I thought I might have
to remove the steering wheel of my 04 plate Master. He told me that this
is no longer an issue, even for something that old. Obviously, you don't
switch the ignition on and off while fiddling.

As it is not an MOT failure and the Zafira does 1555 miles a year then
just leave it.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2020 08:38, Bazza wrote:
Got a 52 Reg Zafira and recently one horn button has failed to work intermittently.
It will only work when the steering wheel is turned slightly to one side so I guess it is a wiring loom issue?

My query is, how much of a job is it to replace without risking the air bag going off.

The MOT is due in July and a new loom looks to cost around £15. The Zafira is well worth repairing as it has only done 28,000 miles in 18 years.

has it not gone up in smoke yet ? ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Disconnect the car's battery

I hadn't read this thread, but every time I saw the subject, kept
imagining it was about some clothing, with buttons carved from a
mythical Zafira's horn ...