Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sewermen (TV Prog)

I watched an excellent programme about the work of the Water Board in
clearing drains and sewers - a huge fatburg was a big task.

It got me wondering - could they install a "fat separator" and then
increase the Water Charges to the busines that casues the problem?

I rather got the impression that they were just going to accept they would
have to come back and clean it again. No sign that they were addressing the
cause. Does anyone know different?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its not just chip shops. The problem is that most of us, unknowingly do put
some fat down the drain, but there are other factors, nappies, wet wipes,
even surplus concrete gets down to the sewers, making for a smelly toxic
solid mass which builds up in places where flow is only intermittently high.
A friend of mine went on a tour of the Brighton Sewers a few years ago, and
was amazed by the stuff that gets down drains.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John" Not.responding.@dotcom wrote in message
2.236...
I watched an excellent programme about the work of the Water Board in
clearing drains and sewers - a huge fatburg was a big task.

It got me wondering - could they install a "fat separator" and then
increase the Water Charges to the busines that casues the problem?

I rather got the impression that they were just going to accept they would
have to come back and clean it again. No sign that they were addressing
the
cause. Does anyone know different?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2020 09:08, John wrote:
I watched an excellent programme about the work of the Water Board in
clearing drains and sewers - a huge fatburg was a big task.

It got me wondering - could they install a "fat separator" and then
increase the Water Charges to the busines that casues the problem?

I rather got the impression that they were just going to accept they would
have to come back and clean it again. No sign that they were addressing the
cause. Does anyone know different?

Restaurants should have well functioning grease traps in the first place
and some of that may not happen ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Plus all the autumn leaves and other detritus that overflowss into
the foul system after heavy rain.

This is why Southern water used a Tunnel Boring Machine to make a vast
chamber that runs the length of Brighton Promenade to catch all this
excess storm water and sewage after torrential rain. Then it can
be pumped out and 'treated' before being pumped a mile or so out to
sea off Peacehaven I think.

30 years ago there was a pressure group called SAS, Surfers against
Sewage, based in Brighton I think because of the problem with untreated
(and not even filtered) sewage in the sea off the Brighton coastline.

Its not just chip shops. The problem is that most of us, unknowingly do put
some fat down the drain, but there are other factors, nappies, wet wipes,
even surplus concrete gets down to the sewers, making for a smelly toxic
solid mass which builds up in places where flow is only intermittently high.
A friend of mine went on a tour of the Brighton Sewers a few years ago, and
was amazed by the stuff that gets down drains.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/05/2020 13:19, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 08/05/2020 09:08, John wrote:
I watched an excellent programme about the work of the Water Board in
clearing drains and sewers - a huge fatburg was a big task.

It got me wondering - could they install a "fat separator" and then
increase the Water Charges to the busines that casues the problem?

I rather got the impression that they were just going to accept they
would
have to come back and clean it again. No sign that they were
addressing the
cause. Does anyone know different?

Restaurants should have well functioning grease traps in the first place
and some of that may not happen ....

Charge all the immigrant rat infested dumps twice as much water charge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2020 09:08, John wrote:
I watched an excellent programme about the work of the Water Board in
clearing drains and sewers - a huge fatburg was a big task.

It got me wondering - could they install a "fat separator" and then
increase the Water Charges to the busines that casues the problem?

I rather got the impression that they were just going to accept they
would
have to come back and clean it again. No sign that they were
addressing the
cause. Does anyone know different?

Restaurants should have well functioning grease traps in the first
place and some of that may not happen ....

Charge all the immigrant rat infested dumps twice as much water charge.

--

OK Cole plenty in Medway ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I can remember the pipe that went into the sea off Bognor Regis. I had no
idea what it was until one day when the tide was out, the smell and what
came out of it put me off the beach forever. I'm sure its been stopped now,
I'm talking 1960s.
Brian

--
----- --

"Andrew" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2020 09:08, John wrote:
I watched an excellent programme about the work of the Water Board in
clearing drains and sewers - a huge fatburg was a big task.

It got me wondering - could they install a "fat separator" and then
increase the Water Charges to the busines that casues the problem?

I rather got the impression that they were just going to accept they would
have to come back and clean it again. No sign that they were addressing the
cause. Does anyone know different?

Isn't the bigger problem with the formation of fat burgs the number of

wet wipes that people continue to flush down the toilets. These can act
as a binding agent for the fat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 May 2020 20:13:12 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 08/05/2020 09:08, John wrote:
I watched an excellent programme about the work of the Water Board in
clearing drains and sewers - a huge fatburg was a big task.

It got me wondering - could they install a "fat separator" and then
increase the Water Charges to the busines that casues the problem?

I rather got the impression that they were just going to accept they would
have to come back and clean it again. No sign that they were addressing the
cause. Does anyone know different?

Isn't the bigger problem with the formation of fat burgs the number of

wet wipes that people continue to flush down the toilets. These can act
as a binding agent for the fat.

The basic problem seems to be the usual one: stupidity.

Assuming that just because something can, physically, be flushed, it should be flushed - and that it is OK to do so.

Add in the commercial side, promoting wet wipe use all the time. And packaging that doesn't say "DO NOT FLUSH" in big ltters. And lack of product regulation that has allowed their sale to flourish without imposing any sort of degradability.

Next issue: disposable gloves being flushed. (Already seeing vast numbers alongside paths, outside supermarkets, etc.) These gloves have the extra advantage of potentially trapping air and semi-floating.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2020 07:48, polygonum_on_google wrote:

Next issue: disposable gloves being flushed. (Already seeing vast numbers alongside paths, outside supermarkets, etc.) These gloves have the extra advantage of potentially trapping air and semi-floating.

Unfortunately my house seems to to be one of two in the street where the
wind funnels street rubbish into my front garden and car parking spot. I
too have noticed that a rise is discarded disposable gloves being blown
in from a total of zero over the previous 10+ years to 3 in the past 4
weeks. I do wish some of these anti-social people would stay at home
rather than discarding their PPE in the streets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I can remember the pipe that went into the sea off Bognor Regis. I had no
idea what it was until one day when the tide was out, the smell and what
came out of it put me off the beach forever. I'm sure its been stopped now,
I'm talking 1960s.
Brian

The usual fix was to make the pipe a lot longer, so it didn't discharge
on or near the beach.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 9 May 2020 09:46:26 +0100, nightjar wrote:

I can remember the pipe that went into the sea off Bognor Regis. I

had
no idea what it was until one day when the tide was out, the smell

and
what came out of it put me off the beach forever. I'm sure its

been
stopped now, I'm talking 1960s.

The usual fix was to make the pipe a lot longer, so it didn't discharge
on or near the beach.

Along with "treating" it. ie mash it up and coarsely filter the
result so you don't get jobbies, condoms, etc bobing about...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2020 10:06, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 9 May 2020 09:46:26 +0100, nightjar wrote:

I can remember the pipe that went into the sea off Bognor Regis. I

had
no idea what it was until one day when the tide was out, the smell

and
what came out of it put me off the beach forever. I'm sure its

been
stopped now, I'm talking 1960s.

The usual fix was to make the pipe a lot longer, so it didn't discharge
on or near the beach.

Along with "treating" it. ie mash it up and coarsely filter the
result so you don't get jobbies, condoms, etc bobing about...

Plus powerful UV light treatment now, I believe.

There are storm water outlets on Worthing beach between high
and low tide marks, marked with big red upside down 'fire
baskets'. Up on the promenade is a warning sign, advising
people that after heavy rain, the beach quality in the vicinity
of the outlets, might not be up to the usual standards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 May 2020 10:06:44 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Along with "treating" it. ie mash it up and coarsely filter the
result so you don't get jobbies, condoms, etc bobing about...

Saniflos for all, and the problems are sorted: nothing unsuitable will make it
to the sewers, much less the beach. After a suitable period for training, no one
will put anything unsuitable down the pipe.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Along with "treating" it. ie mash it up and coarsely filter the
result so you don't get jobbies, condoms, etc bobing about...

Saniflos for all, and the problems are sorted: nothing unsuitable will make it
to the sewers, much less the beach. After a suitable period for training, no one
will put anything unsuitable down the pipe.

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/humour.html?LMCL=q2DB6k

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Along with "treating" it. ie mash it up and coarsely filter the
result so you don't get jobbies, condoms, etc bobing about...

Saniflos for all, and the problems are sorted: nothing unsuitable will make it
to the sewers, much less the beach. After a suitable period for training, no one
will put anything unsuitable down the pipe.

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/humour.html?LMCL=q2DB6k

Wot I said.

Picking dental floss off an impeller will learn'em.

Thomas Prufer

Prog. Thermostats Grumps UK diy 15 October 2nd 05 01:14 PM
Property Ladder: Question about tonight's prog (Ch4) Crag UK diy 13 May 6th 05 07:24 AM
'Homes from Hell' - TV prog. 4square UK diy 4 January 30th 05 11:10 PM
prog's Maurice Hood UK diy 8 July 1st 04 08:59 PM
That TV prog John Jardine UK diy 19 July 24th 03 03:47 AM