Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Renewing large patio joints

I have a large patio and some of the joints need refilling. The patio has
large paving stones and the joints vary but the largest ones are about 40mm
wide and 50 mm deep. I either need cement or mortar but it needs to be buff
colour to match the other joints and as I am always useless at mixing these
products I want something that is ready mixed and in a tub. What would people
suggest? I think that the joints may be too large for regular mortar but
comments welcome please!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1425597-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve m Wrote
in message:
I have a large patio and some of the joints need refilling. The patio has
large paving stones and the joints vary but the largest ones are about 40mm
wide and 50 mm deep. I either need cement or mortar but it needs to be buff
colour to match the other joints and as I am always useless at mixing these
products I want something that is ready mixed and in a tub. What would people
suggest? I think that the joints may be too large for regular mortar but
comments welcome please!

Easy joint & a big wallet
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2020 20:14, Steve wrote:
I have a large patio and some of the joints need refilling. The patio has
large paving stones and the joints vary but the largest ones are about 40mm
wide and 50 mm deep. I either need cement or mortar but it needs to be buff
colour to match the other joints and as I am always useless at mixing these
products I want something that is ready mixed and in a tub. What would
people
suggest? I think that the joints may be too large for regular mortar but
comments welcome please!

You do not have to be good at mixing.

You want three bags of *sharp* sand to one bag of *WHITE* cement, and
use a bucket to mix. get a couple of pet food scoops and do three scoops
of sand then one of cement and then add water and keep stirring till its
not quite pourable.

munge it into the cracks with a pointing trowel and then do the
following carefully

Use your pointing trowel to scoop off any large bits in the wrong place
and then get a big bowl of water and a dish or bath sponge.
Squeeze out the sponge and wipe ONCE across the slabs to pick up any
loose sand and cement, rinse the sponge in the water, squeeze and *keep
on doing this* till the wet mortar is ONLY in the cracks NOT on the
slabs. This is the most important thing - never let the cement dry on
the slabs as even patio or brick acid wont really get it off afterwards.
They will however remove any slight dusting of residual
cement - brush on, and then pressure wash afterwards.

WHITE cement with yellow sand nets you that buff colour
SHARP sand gives a rougher more rustic feel but of its a very 'townie'
patio, builders sand works OK and gives a smoother finish.
Buy all these from a builders merchant.

Give yourself plenty of rime, To do a good job and clean it all up will
take about an hour per square meter. Till you get practiced. If it
looks like rain put a sheet over it overnight

I'll be doing more of mine in a week or three..

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"