Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garage Extension

Hi,
Im intending to extend my current garage that has a flat roof to one with a
pitched roof.
My intention is to build a double skin block wall (to keep the cost down) at
my boundary approximately 10ft high and fix joists from the main house to the
new boundary wall.
First question is is how deep do my footings need to be ???
Ive read varying opinions like 1m down, until I hit solid ground or could I
dig down to my kitchen extension (single storey) footing and follow that ????
Would I need to tie the new boundary wall into the existing kitchen extension
wall ????
The span of the new joists will be approximately 4500mm, is this too long and
what would I need to do if it is ???
Do you also recommend the fixings that do NOT require any kind of wall plug.
Ive seen the bolts that fix straight into the pre-drilled hole, would they
be sufficiently strong enough to hold the wall plate and the additional weight
of joist and tiles Ill be using.
With regard to the block work would you also recommend getting a decent
brickie in to do it ????
Due to financial constraints I was thinking of doing it myself and although
Im not a €śseasoned pro€ť Ive done a few garden walls etc.
Apologies for such a long post but needs must I'm afraid. Thanks for any help
in advance

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1425535-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zak wrote:

Im intending to extend my current garage

Sounds like a general read-through of building regs part A might be in
order, and a chat with planning dept?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/429060/BR_PDF_AD_A_2013.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Zak wrote:

I?m intending to extend my current garage

Sounds like a general read-through of building regs part A might be in
order, and a chat with planning dept?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/429060/BR_PDF_AD_A_2013.pdf

+1
Or pay someone to draw you the plans up & deal with the regs, then
submit to planning as necessary. The 10ft wall at the boundary
might raise some eyebrows alone...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----