Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Default Small extension on a prefab garage?

Hi,

I'm looking at ways to extend a pre-fabricated garage which has a
corrugated cement asbestos roof, or rather ways to sort out rain water
flow from the roof...

Slope of the roof is from front to back with water presently running
into a gutter at the back and it is the rear to which I would like to
build a small block work extension integrated into the garage.

Due to rising slope of the ground at the rear, the new extensions floor
level would be stepped up from the main garage slab level - basically
this would mean the extensions roof would have to be a little higher
than the rear edge of the garage. Idea is to remove rear windows of
garage, plus 3x short concrete panels below windows which would then
allow through access in to the extension. Continueing the slope of the
garage roof down over the extension, is not possible as the height at
the rear would then not be adequate.

I'm looking for ways to have both roofs form a shallow V draining at
the joint between the original and new extension.

So how do I achieve drainage of the roof? Probably some sort of built
in gutter leading to the side?

Anyone done anything similar?

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I'm looking at ways to extend a pre-fabricated garage which has a
corrugated cement asbestos roof, or rather ways to sort out rain water
flow from the roof...

Slope of the roof is from front to back with water presently running
into a gutter at the back and it is the rear to which I would like to
build a small block work extension integrated into the garage.

I'm looking for ways to have both roofs form a shallow V draining at the
joint between the original and new extension.

So how do I achieve drainage of the roof? Probably some sort of built in
gutter leading to the side?

That's called a "secret gutter", which you could make nice
and expensively with lead-lined timber (say 6" bottom, 4" sides),
or less expensively with GRP (fibre glass). It would be better
to replace the whole roof, though, with one continuous one, of
4x2 & 2x2 with galvanized iron sheeting underlayed by 11mm
Sterling Board.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Chris Bacon used his keyboard to write :
That's called a "secret gutter", which you could make nice
and expensively with lead-lined timber (say 6" bottom, 4" sides),
or less expensively with GRP (fibre glass). It would be better
to replace the whole roof, though, with one continuous one, of
4x2 & 2x2 with galvanized iron sheeting underlayed by 11mm
Sterling Board.

That sounds good, would easily fit in the space and provides me with
some words to conduct a search upon.... Thanks.