Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default G4: halogen or LED?

We have a number of those "bedside lights" with a transformer in the
base and a pair of "radio aeriels" taking 12 volts AC to the light unit
containing a 20 watt halogen G4.

I've just used my last spare halogen bulb, I see there are loads of LED
replacements around.

For main domestic lights I have long since replaced halogens with LED
but I am not so bothered about energy saving or safety for bedside
lights, and I do find halogens give good light for reading.

Are LEDs OK in this type of light, or would you stick with halogens?
Presumably the crude power supplies work fine with LED?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2020 10:02, newshound wrote:
We have a number of those "bedside lights" with a transformer in the
base and a pair of "radio aeriels" taking 12 volts AC to the light unit
containing a 20 watt halogen G4.

I've just used my last spare halogen bulb, I see there are loads of LED
replacements around.

For main domestic lights I have long since replaced halogens with LED
but I am not so bothered about energy saving or safety for bedside
lights, and I do find halogens give good light for reading.

Are LEDs OK in this type of light, or would you stick with halogens?
Presumably the crude power supplies work fine with LED?

For a reading light I reckon LEDs should be fine. I am always a bit
nervous of quartz halogen lights in close proximity to paper.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
We have a number of those "bedside lights" with a transformer in the
base and a pair of "radio aeriels" taking 12 volts AC to the light unit
containing a 20 watt halogen G4.

I've just used my last spare halogen bulb, I see there are loads of LED
replacements around.

For main domestic lights I have long since replaced halogens with LED
but I am not so bothered about energy saving or safety for bedside
lights, and I do find halogens give good light for reading.

Are LEDs OK in this type of light, or would you stick with halogens?
Presumably the crude power supplies work fine with LED?

I am using an LED replacement in the transformer equipped desk light beside
me. No problems

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2020 10:02, newshound wrote:
We have a number of those "bedside lights" with a transformer in the
base and a pair of "radio aeriels" taking 12 volts AC to the light unit
containing a 20 watt halogen G4.

I've just used my last spare halogen bulb, I see there are loads of LED
replacements around.

For main domestic lights I have long since replaced halogens with LED
but I am not so bothered about energy saving or safety for bedside
lights, and I do find halogens give good light for reading.

Are LEDs OK in this type of light, or would you stick with halogens?
Presumably the crude power supplies work fine with LED?

TIA

I think the problem with the type of light you have could be the
physical size of the LED "bulb" compared to the halogen. From memory of
having similar light in the past was that the halogen just fitted.
However with lED running a lot cooler the glass cover could be discarded
giving more space.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2020 11:10, charles wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:
We have a number of those "bedside lights" with a transformer in the
base and a pair of "radio aeriels" taking 12 volts AC to the light unit
containing a 20 watt halogen G4.

I've just used my last spare halogen bulb, I see there are loads of LED
replacements around.

I am using an LED replacement in the transformer equipped desk light beside
me. No problems

+1

(just be a bit careful you can get 1.8W (~20w Halogen) and 1.0W (~10W
halogen) I can only speak for the 1.8W which seem to be fine. I expect
as always you need to make sure that you get the colour temperature that
you prefer - presumably warm white for bedside.

--
Chris B (News)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2020 10:02, newshound wrote:
We have a number of those "bedside lights" with a transformer in the
base and a pair of "radio aeriels" taking 12 volts AC to the light unit
containing a 20 watt halogen G4.

I've just used my last spare halogen bulb, I see there are loads of LED
replacements around.

For main domestic lights I have long since replaced halogens with LED
but I am not so bothered about energy saving or safety for bedside
lights, and I do find halogens give good light for reading.

Are LEDs OK in this type of light, or would you stick with halogens?
Presumably the crude power supplies work fine with LED?

TIA

Thanks everyone for the comments, I'll give LEDs a try. (I actually
quite like the blue-ish halogen light for reading).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote in
o.uk:

On 15/04/2020 10:02, newshound wrote:
We have a number of those "bedside lights" with a transformer in the
base and a pair of "radio aeriels" taking 12 volts AC to the light unit
containing a 20 watt halogen G4.

I've just used my last spare halogen bulb, I see there are loads of LED
replacements around.

For main domestic lights I have long since replaced halogens with LED
but I am not so bothered about energy saving or safety for bedside
lights, and I do find halogens give good light for reading.

Are LEDs OK in this type of light, or would you stick with halogens?
Presumably the crude power supplies work fine with LED?

TIA

Thanks everyone for the comments, I'll give LEDs a try. (I actually
quite like the blue-ish halogen light for reading).

I fitted a couple of G4 LEDs in a Cooker Hood. They flicker a bit - I
suspect they are under-loading the power supply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â* newshound wrote:
We have a number of those "bedside lights" with a transformer in the
base and a pair of "radio aeriels" taking 12 volts AC to the light unit
containing a 20 watt halogen G4.

I've just used my last spare halogen bulb, I see there are loads of LED
replacements around.

I am using an LED replacement in the transformer equipped desk light
beside
me. No problems

+1

(just be a bit careful you can get 1.8W (~20w Halogen) and 1.0W (~10W
halogen) I can only speak for the 1.8W which seem to be fine. I expect
as always you need to make sure that you get the colour temperature that
you prefer - presumably warm white for bedside.

or maybe a cooler/blue white for reading. I find with my ageing eyes
that the blue white light gives better contrast when reading from a book.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 15/04/2020 10:02, newshound wrote:
We have a number of those "bedside lights" with a transformer in the base
and a pair of "radio aeriels" taking 12 volts AC to the light unit
containing a 20 watt halogen G4.

I've just used my last spare halogen bulb, I see there are loads of LED
replacements around.

For main domestic lights I have long since replaced halogens with LED but
I am not so bothered about energy saving or safety for bedside lights,
and I do find halogens give good light for reading.

Are LEDs OK in this type of light, or would you stick with halogens?
Presumably the crude power supplies work fine with LED?

TIA

Thanks everyone for the comments, I'll give LEDs a try. (I actually quite
like the blue-ish halogen light for reading).

I like a reading light to be behind my shoulder, illuminating the page
mainly and leaving the rest of the room darker to avoid distraction.

I used to have a fluorescent tube desk lamp on an Anglepoise-type arm. This
was good but I was conscious of the mains-frequency flicker when I first got
it.

I now have a lamp with a shade on a bedside table, using a Philips Hue bulb.
This is a nice restful light, and can be dimmed and altered in colour
between very warm (candle-light) and very cool (daylight in the shade). But
it's not as easy to get good lighting on the book, without my body getting
between the light and the pages. I need to find a *cheap* Anglepoise-type
desk lamp. The one I've got on my desk in my study is probably overkill
(expensive and a very large head) but I'm sure smaller ones are available
now as bedside reading lights.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

On 15/04/2020 10:02, newshound wrote:
We have a number of those "bedside lights" with a transformer in the
base and a pair of "radio aeriels" taking 12 volts AC to the light unit
containing a 20 watt halogen G4.

I've just used my last spare halogen bulb, I see there are loads of LED
replacements around.

For main domestic lights I have long since replaced halogens with LED
but I am not so bothered about energy saving or safety for bedside
lights, and I do find halogens give good light for reading.

Are LEDs OK in this type of light, or would you stick with halogens?
Presumably the crude power supplies work fine with LED?

TIA

Thanks everyone for the comments, I'll give LEDs a try. (I actually
quite like the blue-ish halogen light for reading).

Even halogens are on the warm end of the range of LED light colour
temperatures, and you will find the daylight white LEDs a great deal
bluer. I find this best for reading too.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Apr 2020 11:23:53 +0000, John wrote:

I fitted a couple of G4 LEDs in a Cooker Hood. They flicker a bit - I
suspect they are under-loading the power supply.

Yes, I have a fitting with 6x 12v G4 20w halogen lamps.
It would not even light up with 6 x 4W led lamps in it.
Basic, wound, transformers will be fine, as they always give out power, a
lot of the solid state ones cannot detect the low wattage required by LED
lamps, so do not work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
Thanks everyone for the comments, I'll give LEDs a try. (I actually
quite like the blue-ish halogen light for reading).

Halogens are towards the red end of the spectrum. If you want blue, get
any cheap LED. ;-)

--
*My dog can lick anyone

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I have given up on physical books completely now and only read ebooks
and that fixes the lighting problem completely and can be done anywhere,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 04:01:11 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I have given up on physical books

Just give up on breathing, you useless trolling senile idiot! Do yourself
and everyone else the favour!

little ignorant ****."
MID:

Halogen v LED F[_2_] UK diy 4 January 24th 10 09:41 PM
LED energy saving bulbs for mains/halogen fittings Tom[_4_] UK diy 27 January 10th 10 10:57 PM
Halogen V,s LED Lighting ronnie UK diy 8 February 8th 09 11:20 AM
selling led lighting such as led christmas light,led decorative light,led house lamp led lighting UK diy 0 February 6th 07 06:45 AM
LED,LED Lamp,LED Lights,LED Display,Automotive Lamp,LED Chip,LED Module [email protected] Electronics 0 December 4th 05 11:08 AM