Dave Plowman (News)

Default Magicmitre

In article ,
John Smith wrote:
Darn, it only cuts depths of up to 4 inches.

It looks pretty cheap and nasty, although the idea is ok.

Does anyone know where I can
get a mitre that supports 6 inch skirting boards?

I just made mine.

--
*Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
John Smith

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of this tool - http://www.magicmitre.co.uk/

It is a measuring/template device for cutting coving, skirting board, etc.

Thanks,

John.

John Smith

"John Smith" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of this tool -

http://www.magicmitre.co.uk/

Darn, it only cuts depths of up to 4 inches. Does anyone know where I can
get a mitre that supports 6 inch skirting boards?

Thanks,

John.

troubleinstore

"John Smith" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of this tool -

http://www.magicmitre.co.uk/

It is a measuring/template device for cutting coving, skirting board, etc.

Thanks,

John.

Ah, this is the thing they keep showing on QVC. Always fancied one. I'll be
interested in theis thread.
--
troubleinstore
http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk

---

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
troubleinstore wrote:
Ah, this is the thing they keep showing on QVC.

Kiss of death, then. Means they can't sell it through normal means.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

John Smith

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
troubleinstore wrote:
Ah, this is the thing they keep showing on QVC.

Kiss of death, then. Means they can't sell it through normal means.

I disagree. QVC has been an interesting discovery for me. Some of the stuff,
IMPO, is complete nonsense but other stuff seems to have some merit. I
watched an hour long QVC programme about George Foreman grills, after
refusing to buy one for over 2 years, and ended up buying one the next day
from my local Comet. Boy, I am amazed how great it is for steaks, bugers and
toasties (Tip - butter the OUTSIDE of the bread if making a toastie in
George Foreman grill).

There have been a few DIY tools that I think look really interesting on QVC.
The magicmitre is one, the bricklaying tool mentioned in another thread and
they also seem to sell quite amazing drill bits and sanding/grinding heads
every now and then. The concept of the magicmitre looks simplistic but one
for which a tool is required, especially where a room has corners which are
not 'equal'. t is just a shame the tool only goes to a depth of 4 inches and
not to 6 inches for deeper skirting boards. I would buy one like a shot
otherwise but still will most likely get it as I can see it's use in coving.

John.

nog

troubleinstore wrote:
Ah, this is the thing they keep showing on QVC.

Kiss of death, then. Means they can't sell it through normal means.

I disagree. QVC has been an interesting discovery for me. Some of the stuff,
IMPO, is complete nonsense but other stuff seems to have some merit. I
watched an hour long QVC programme about George Foreman grills, after
refusing to buy one for over 2 years, and ended up buying one the next day
from my local Comet. Boy, I am amazed how great it is for steaks, bugers and
toasties (Tip - butter the OUTSIDE of the bread if making a toastie in
George Foreman grill).

Any tips on cleaning? We've stopped using ours because cleaning's too much
trouble.
troubleinstore

troubleinstore wrote:
Ah, this is the thing they keep showing on QVC.

Kiss of death, then. Means they can't sell it through normal means.

I disagree. QVC has been an interesting discovery for me. Some of the

stuff,
IMPO, is complete nonsense but other stuff seems to have some merit. I
watched an hour long QVC programme about George Foreman grills, after
refusing to buy one for over 2 years, and ended up buying one the next

day
from my local Comet. Boy, I am amazed how great it is for steaks, bugers

and
toasties (Tip - butter the OUTSIDE of the bread if making a toastie in
George Foreman grill).

Any tips on cleaning? We've stopped using ours because cleaning's too much
trouble.

I would use something like a Black & Decker vaccumn if i were you. I find it
great for doing the little cleanup jobs
--
troubleinstore
http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk
Personal mail can be sent via website.
Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap

---

N. Thornton

"John Smith" wrote in message ...
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of this tool - http://www.magicmitre.co.uk/

It is a measuring/template device for cutting coving, skirting board, etc.

Just make your own, its not difficult. Or buy an electric mitre saw.
as someone said, QVC isnt exactly a promising factor.

How to make one - lots of design options, but heres one.
construct a small 4 sided box, with bottom top and 2 opposite sides,
from hefty wood, so it makes a square hoop. Drill hole in top and put
a coach bolt in it, threaded in the wood. Get or make a bevel. Now you
put your wood in the hoop shaped thing, clamp it using coach bolt and
bit of scrap wood, and saw. Make it as big or small as you like.

Regards, NT
John Smith

"nog" wrote in message

I disagree. QVC has been an interesting discovery for me. Some of the

stuff,
IMPO, is complete nonsense but other stuff seems to have some merit. I
watched an hour long QVC programme about George Foreman grills, after
refusing to buy one for over 2 years, and ended up buying one the next

day
from my local Comet. Boy, I am amazed how great it is for steaks, bugers

and
toasties (Tip - butter the OUTSIDE of the bread if making a toastie in
George Foreman grill).

Any tips on cleaning? We've stopped using ours because cleaning's too much
trouble.

Yep, oddly enough QVC's programme spent quite a while on the cleaning aspect
and, having adopted it, I find it takes minutes to clean it and doing so
keeps it spotless.

Basically, they suggest getting one of these small sponges - Tesco,
Sainsburys, etc - that is soft on one side and has a thicker rougher side on
the other. They usually state that they are ideal for cleaning Teflon or,
because they can't advertise a brand name, 'non-stick surfaces' on the
package. If you buy a sponge with a rough side make sure it does state it is
OK for use on non-stick surfaces as some aren't.

All you do is, once the food has finished cooking, is to immediately, or
within 5 or 10 minutes once it has cooled slightly, to brush it down using
the sponge but with the sponge slightly dampened. Run it down vertically
along the grooves and this cleans it superbly. You have to BE VERY CAREFUL
about NOT pressing the sponge too hard otherwise you will get a nasty burn
on your fingers. The bottom line appears to be to clean it whilst it is
still warm and it then cleans very easily.

You can also use a paper-towel instead of a sponge. Quite often I will use a
sponge and then do a final clean-up with a couple of paper-towels to dry it
off.

If I have cooked something really messy then I simply get some paper towels,
wet them with water and spray some washing-up liquid on them. I them clean
the grill with them before using some other wetted paper towels, without
washing-up liquid, to wipe off the bubbles. I then use a dry paper towel to
dry it down. Works a treat.

If you have fat gunk in the grey tray then I recommend placing some paper
towels in them to soak up the gunk, wait until the gunk has cooled and set
and then wipe it off and stick it in the bin. Do not flush down the toilet
or pour down your sink as it will clog your pipes up.

Other tips a

1. Coat the top and bottom halves of the grill with virgin olive oil - no
any other oil and not sunflower oil -prior to cooking something. This not
only seals whatever you cooking, meat mainly, but both adds flavour and
seems to help to make it easier to clean.

2. I really recommend trying toasties on them. Unlike conventional toasting
grills you can use 'proper' good quality bread for a toastie in a George
Foreman and the trick really is to NOT butter the inside of the bread but to
butter the outside of the bread. For example, I like to make one with crusty
bread using olive oil 'butter' spread which I spread on the outside of two
pieces of bread.

On the inside of the bread I then place some cheese, spread on some tomato
ketchup and some branston, (It melts together deliciously - my Mum prefers
her onion and garlic spread), and put a slice of cooked ham in the sandwich.
I pop all this, with the 'buttered' sides facing out on the George Foreman
for about 5 minutes and it makes the most delicious tasting, and superb
looking (You get these golden lines across the sandwich) toastie which is
both delicious and incredibly moist - not at all dry like your get some a
conventional toastie. Go on, try 'buttering' the outside with whatever
spread you use (Personally, I would not recommend butter for obvious health
reasons.) and see what you get.

I got the above idea from doing a Google and you can basically stick
whatever you want, within reason, in your toastie.

3. I strongly urge doing a Google for +'George Foreman' +recipe both on the
web and in newsgroups. There are thousands and thousands of superb recipe
ideas for free online.

4. The George Foreman really comes into itself if you buy QUALITY meat from
a butchers and none of this super-market stuff. For example, I buy some 100%
meat quarterpound burgers from my local butchers and hardly a drop of fat
comes out of them into the grey tray. They were virtually free of fat and
delicious. On the other hand, I bought some of M&S 100% beefburgers -
quarterpounders - which were supposedly the best burgers they sold and the
fat just poured... and poured... and poured out of them...

From a health POV this grill is a must have and my only regret is not buying
one 3 years ago when a friend first recommended it. You can do great streaks
in the, superb chicken breasts, salmon and tuna steaks. Another trick is
seasoning the above before you cook so either season and let marinate the
night before or, if you need to be quick,add some garlic butter or something
like that to a chicken breast when you cook.

Rant over,

John.

Tony Bryer

In article , Nog wrote:
Any tips on cleaning? We've stopped using ours because cleaning's
too much trouble.

I guess it depends what you're cooking, but mine cleans up nicely by
wiping it over with kitchen towel while still warm.

John Smith

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...

How to make one - lots of design options, but heres one.
construct a small 4 sided box, with bottom top and 2 opposite sides,
from hefty wood, so it makes a square hoop. Drill hole in top and put
a coach bolt in it, threaded in the wood. Get or make a bevel. Now you
put your wood in the hoop shaped thing, clamp it using coach bolt and
bit of scrap wood, and saw. Make it as big or small as you like.

Regards, NT

Thanks NT - much appreciated.

With regard to the electric mitres... I have kinda steered clear of them as
they look pretty fierce looking tools to operate and, from what I can
gather, there appears to be numerous types on the market. How on earth do
you decide which one to go for and, from my POV, are they all suitable for
'corner' cutting?

John.

nog

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:58:09 GMT, John Smith wrote:

"nog" wrote in message

I disagree. QVC has been an interesting discovery for me. Some of the

stuff,
IMPO, is complete nonsense but other stuff seems to have some merit. I
watched an hour long QVC programme about George Foreman grills, after
refusing to buy one for over 2 years, and ended up buying one the next

day
from my local Comet. Boy, I am amazed how great it is for steaks, bugers

and
toasties (Tip - butter the OUTSIDE of the bread if making a toastie in
George Foreman grill).

Any tips on cleaning? We've stopped using ours because cleaning's too much
trouble.

Yep, oddly enough QVC's programme spent quite a while on the cleaning aspect
and, having adopted it, I find it takes minutes to clean it and doing so
keeps it spotless.

---------------------8 sniploadsagoodstuff

Thanks for the info - I'll persuade SWMBO to resurrect it and we'll give it
another go. Definitely like the sound of the toasties. :-)
N. Thornton

"John Smith" wrote in message ...

Thanks NT - much appreciated.

With regard to the electric mitres... I have kinda steered clear of them as
they look pretty fierce looking tools to operate and, from what I can
gather, there appears to be numerous types on the market. How on earth do
you decide which one to go for and, from my POV, are they all suitable for
'corner' cutting?

Thats not so hard. Blade size determines max depth and width of cut,
see the spec for each machine. Brands determine life and accuracy.
Kinzo comes in at the bottom with its £27 machine (toolstation.com),
Ferm comes in at the cheap but not too bad level at £40-50
(screwfix.com), and the relatively decent kit comes in at over £100
up. The term 'mitre saw' means they will cut at angles of upto 45
degrees. To cut greater angles, cut a 20 degree slip of wood and use
that as packing behind the workpiece - now it does upto 65 degrees.
Very briefly.

Regards, NT
MBQ

"John Smith" wrote in message ...

2. I really recommend trying toasties on them. Unlike conventional toasting
grills you can use 'proper' good quality bread for a toastie in a George
Foreman and the trick really is to NOT butter the inside of the bread but to
butter the outside of the bread. For example, I like to make one with crusty

That's how you do it in any sandwich toaster. You mean you were doing
it wrong all those years;-)

MBQ

MBQ

troubleinstore wrote:
Ah, this is the thing they keep showing on QVC.

Kiss of death, then. Means they can't sell it through normal means.

I disagree. QVC has been an interesting discovery for me. Some of the stuff,
IMPO, is complete nonsense but other stuff seems to have some merit. I
watched an hour long QVC programme about George Foreman grills, after
refusing to buy one for over 2 years, and ended up buying one the next day
from my local Comet. Boy, I am amazed how great it is for steaks, bugers and
toasties (Tip - butter the OUTSIDE of the bread if making a toastie in
George Foreman grill).

That's a branded item that you can go and check out in a local shop.

There have been a few DIY tools that I think look really interesting on QVC.
The magicmitre is one, the bricklaying tool mentioned in another thread and
they also seem to sell quite amazing drill bits and sanding/grinding heads
every now and then. The concept of the magicmitre looks simplistic but one

But are they branded products that you can buy elsewhere? If not I'd
be very suspicious as you have no way of doing a like for like price
comparison. Some of the branded items are not particularly cheap when
you look around.

MBQ
John Smith

"nog" wrote in message

Thanks for the info - I'll persuade SWMBO to resurrect it and we'll give

it
another go. Definitely like the sound of the toasties. :-)

LOL

John Smith

"MBQ" wrote in message
om...

That's how you do it in any sandwich toaster. You mean you were doing
it wrong all those years;-)

MBQ

Nah, never had a sandwhich maker in the house and never made my own
toasties until I got the GF grill. The reason being that I got fed up going
to cafes, ordering toasties and get a dehydrated brick arrive on a plate -
obviously all those cafe owners out there need to do 'a google' :-)

John Smith

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...

Thats not so hard. Blade size determines max depth and width of cut,
see the spec for each machine. Brands determine life and accuracy.
Kinzo comes in at the bottom with its £27 machine (toolstation.com),
Ferm comes in at the cheap but not too bad level at £40-50
(screwfix.com), and the relatively decent kit comes in at over £100
up. The term 'mitre saw' means they will cut at angles of upto 45
degrees. To cut greater angles, cut a 20 degree slip of wood and use
that as packing behind the workpiece - now it does upto 65 degrees.
Very briefly.

Regards, NT

Thanks for the info - that gives me an idea of what to look for. Hmm, I
shall give this some thought.

John.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Smith wrote:
Ah, this is the thing they keep showing on QVC.

Kiss of death, then. Means they can't sell it through normal means.

I disagree. QVC has been an interesting discovery for me. Some of the
stuff, IMPO, is complete nonsense but other stuff seems to have some
merit. I watched an hour long QVC programme about George Foreman grills,
after refusing to buy one for over 2 years, and ended up buying one the
next day from my local Comet. Boy, I am amazed how great it is for
steaks, bugers and toasties (Tip - butter the OUTSIDE of the bread if
making a toastie in George Foreman grill).

They only sell stuff that can't be sold through other means or is in over
supply. Those grills were heavily advertised on TV but failed to sell the
projected quantity. So excess stock is unloaded to the likes of QVC.

--
*If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?