Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Martindale Socket Tester EZ150

Hi,

Will this tester indicate possible earth cable deterioration when connecting
to an outside socket as i have three outdoor sockets which were all working
fine but one of them is now tripping my fuse box and would like to determine
which one it is before replacing the cable?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...0-1421813-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2020 15:44, Mikey wrote:
Hi,

Will this tester indicate possible earth cable deterioration when
connecting
to an outside socket

Looking at the manual:

https://martindale-electric.co.uk/pr...=5d08afd79f5a2

It appears to be able to measure earth loop impedance and give an
indication of which of 7 possible bands the result falls. So if you know
your earthing system[1], and the expected impedance reading, it could
give an indication of a problem.

[1] http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Earthing_Types

as i have three outdoor sockets which were all working
fine but one of them is now tripping my fuse box

Could you clarify what you mean by "tripping your fuse box"?

It would be quite common for example for exterior electrics to present
high earth leakage currents that would trip a typical RCD[2]. However a
poor earth connection is unlikely to make that any more likely.

Moisture ingress, insulation breakdown, insect life in electrical
enclosures however would make RCD trips more likely. MCB[3] trips would
be more typically associated with cable damage.

[2] http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/RCD#Nuisance_trips
[3] http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/MCB

and would like to determine
which one it is before replacing the cable?

Testing and identifying the source of the fault is worth doing
certainly. However don't assume necessarily that its a cable fault, or
specifically a poor earth connection fault.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think I'kd just break each circuit at the most logical place and then
reconnect them till it starts to trip. I dont like outdoor electric sockets
and plugs. Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to John Rumm, Mikey wrote:
Thanks John,
All was fine until a few weeks ago and now the fuse box keeps tripping after a
few hours when my outside appliances are turned on from the fused switch. I
have isolated and checked all the outside sockets and appliances which are
fine however i did notice one of the earth copper cables which was feeding my
pump was displaying green corrosion.
Regards
Mike

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...0-1421813-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2020 13:44, Mikey wrote:

replying to John Rumm, Mikey wrote:
Thanks John,

All was fine until a few weeks ago and now the fuse box keeps tripping

With circuits and the stock market, previous performance is no
indication of future...

We could probably give more specific advice if you made it clear what is
tripping in the fuse box.

Is this actually a fuse that is blowing, a circuit breaker (MCB) that is
tripping, or a RCD that is tripping?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article rect.com,
Mikey m wrote:
Hi,

Will this tester indicate possible earth cable deterioration when
connecting to an outside socket as i have three outdoor sockets which
were all working fine but one of them is now tripping my fuse box and
would like to determine which one it is before replacing the cable?

Unless a cable had been physically damaged, more likely damp and dirt etc
in a socket. Give them all a good clean out and dry, first.

--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.