Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Martindale ez650 test lead ponder..

Bought one of these & it comes with a set of probes and also 1 red & 1 black croc clip ends, that appear to be interchangeable with the probe tips BUT I can't work out how to swap the probe end for the croc clip end?!

The croc ends do have an outer thread that suggests the probes might unscrew, and the croc ends could be screwed of in their place -but I can't suss how to do so... :-(

http://martindale-electric.co.uk/mar...est-p-288.html

The brief instructions are (naturally) silent on the matter.

TIA

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 10:37:29 -0700 (PDT), Jim K
wrote:

Bought one of these & it comes with a set of probes and also 1 red & 1 black croc clip ends, that appear to be interchangeable with the probe tips BUT I can't work out how to swap the probe end for the croc clip end?!

The croc ends do have an outer thread that suggests the probes might unscrew, and the croc ends could be screwed of in their place -but I can't suss how to do so... :-(

http://martindale-electric.co.uk/mar...est-p-288.html

The brief instructions are (naturally) silent on the matter.

TIA

Jim K

It looks to me like the probe flange and tip unscrew, and be replaced
by the crock clip as the diameter of the clip below the screw thread
would fit nicely inside the larger diameter probe body? Maybe only the
tip and not the flange unscrews.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2013 18:37, Jim K wrote:
Bought one of these & it comes with a set of probes and also 1 red & 1 black croc clip ends, that appear to be interchangeable with the probe tips BUT I can't work out how to swap the probe end for the croc clip end?!

The croc ends do have an outer thread that suggests the probes might unscrew, and the croc ends could be screwed of in their place -but I can't suss how to do so... :-(

http://martindale-electric.co.uk/mar...est-p-288.html

The brief instructions are (naturally) silent on the matter.

Normally the leads simply have (shrouded) 4mm banana plugs on both ends.
At the probe/clip end, they just plug into the back of the probe.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Bought one of these & it comes with a set of probes and also 1 red & 1 black croc clip ends, that appear to be interchangeable with the probe tips BUT I can't work out how to swap the probe end for the croc clip end?!

The croc ends do have an outer thread that suggests the probes might unscrew, and the croc ends could be screwed of in their place -but I can't suss how to do so... :-(

http://martindale-electric.co.uk/mar...est-p-288.html

The brief instructions are (naturally) silent on the matter.

TIA

Jim K

It looks to me like the probe flange and tip unscrew, and be replaced
by the crock clip as the diameter of the clip below the screw thread
would fit nicely inside the larger diameter probe body? Maybe only the
tip and not the flange unscrews.

hard to see I know but the tip, flange & handle etc of the probes are a 1 one piece moulding - back to each cable's strain relief. The strain relief is a slightly different colour and flexible, and it slides along the wire a mm or so but the wire does not want to rotate in the probe - as I would expect if there was a banana plug or similar in there at some point...

I have tried reasonable force just pulling out on the strain relief but seeing these cost 45 just for the leads I don;t want to knack em before I've used em!! (nor can I see why they should cost 45 for such an obviously non-intuitive design)

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

mmm just noticed the leads I have are not just the same as those on Martindale www site or the product photo (bought from Rapid Online (Ebay))

Given the leads alone cost 50 odd is there a cunning fake/inferior substitution racket going on here?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 10:37:29 -0700 (PDT), Jim K wrote:

Bought one of these & it comes with a set of probes and also 1 red & 1 black croc clip ends, that appear to be interchangeable with the probe tips BUT I can't work out how to swap the probe end for the croc clip end?!

The croc ends do have an outer thread that suggests the probes might unscrew, and the croc ends could be screwed of in their place -but I can't suss how to do so... :-(

http://martindale-electric.co.uk/mar...est-p-288.html

The brief instructions are (naturally) silent on the matter.

I have some quite similar that may have come with either Megger Earth Loop
Tester or an Insulation Tester. I think they unscrew but can't check as they
aren't immediately to hand

Why not ring them?

http://martindale-electric.co.uk/contact_us.php

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, September 6, 2013 10:06:10 AM UTC+1, The Other Mike wrote:
On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 10:37:29 -0700 (PDT), Jim K wrote:

Bought one of these & it comes with a set of probes and also 1 red & 1 black croc clip ends, that appear to be interchangeable with the probe tips BUT I can't work out how to swap the probe end for the croc clip end?!

The croc ends do have an outer thread that suggests the probes might unscrew, and the croc ends could be screwed of in their place -but I can't suss how to do so... :-(

http://martindale-electric.co.uk/mar...est-p-288.html

The brief instructions are (naturally) silent on the matter.

I have some quite similar that may have come with either Megger Earth Loop

Tester or an Insulation Tester. I think they unscrew but can't check as they

aren't immediately to hand

Why not ring them?

I've emailed them and the ebay seller.... sigh :(

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, September 6, 2013 10:08:54 AM UTC+1, Jim K wrote:
[...]

lots of googling later & I believe I have ID'd them as KEWTECH ACC016E.

Pic here (in right colours)
http://www.capitalcalibration.co.uk/testleads1.asp

My apologies to Dave W the probe IS NOT a 1 piece moulding and the tip and flange does in fact unscrew, revealing the fuse held in a tubular moulding (as on the croc clip adaptors). Croc clips (with fuses added) screw into the resultant hole.

Q1 do I hang out for the proper (as advertised) Martindale leads or accept the (cheaper?) Kewtechs?

Q2 should the leads be the modern colours rather than red and black?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2013 11:10, Jim K wrote:

Q1 do I hang out for the proper (as advertised) Martindale leads or
accept the (cheaper?) Kewtechs?

Depends on what was advertised, and who sold it etc.

Q2 should the leads be the modern colours rather than red and black?

Not usually...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim K wrote:
Q2 should the leads be the modern colours rather than red and black?

Is its use restricted to single phase AC mains?

--
*Proofread carefully to see if you any words out or mispeld something *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Er yerss single phase domestic is, I believe, it's intended usage....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013 01:40:48 -0700 (PDT), Jim K
wrote:

(nor can I see why they should cost 45 for such an obviously non-intuitive design)

Nor can I, unless they're made by rolling silicone on the thighs of
mountain virgins.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Grimly
Curmudgeon scribeth thus
wrote:

(nor can I see why they should cost 45 for such an obviously non-intuitive

design)

Nor can I, unless they're made by rolling silicone on the thighs of
mountain virgins.

Thats what goes on in the Russ Andrews cable factory;!)...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013 03:10:11 -0700 (PDT), Jim K
wrote:

On Friday, September 6, 2013 10:08:54 AM UTC+1, Jim K wrote:

lots of googling later & I believe I have ID'd them as KEWTECH ACC016E.

Pic here (in right colours)
http://www.capitalcalibration.co.uk/testleads1.asp

My apologies to Dave W the probe IS NOT a 1 piece moulding and the tip

and flange does in fact unscrew, revealing the fuse held in a tubular
moulding (as on the croc clip adaptors). Croc clips (with fuses added)
screw into the resultant hole.

Q1 do I hang out for the proper (as advertised) Martindale leads or

accept the (cheaper?) Kewtechs?

Q2 should the leads be the modern colours rather than red and black?

Jim K

I couldn't see the difference on that page, so found the Kewtech site,
where there's no adequate description, only the following pictu
http://www.kewtechcorp.com/sites/def.../ACC016E_0.jpg

--
Dave W