Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to get lead test kits

Anyone know where to get lead testing kits? I have in mind something I
can use to test surfaces or pieces of material (for example, chipped
paint) for lead. Something fairly reliable but not super-expensive (this
isn't an OHSA operation after all). This would be a service for my
customers, to let them know for sure whether their walls/kitchen
drawers/whatever are a potential lead hazard.

Helpful replies appreciated.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
Anyone know where to get lead testing kits? I have in mind something I can
use to test surfaces or pieces of material (for example, chipped paint)
for lead. Something fairly reliable but not super-expensive (this isn't an
OHSA operation after all). This would be a service for my customers, to
let them know for sure whether their walls/kitchen drawers/whatever are a
potential lead hazard.

Helpful replies appreciated.

Home Depot's got em. 9.99 for the kits. They look like a small vial with a
dauber on the end, you crush the vial, the "juice" flows up to the dauber,
if there's lead it changes to a specific color.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ace Hardware
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 20:34:18 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Anyone know where to get lead testing kits? I have in mind something I
can use to test surfaces or pieces of material (for example, chipped
paint) for lead. Something fairly reliable but not super-expensive (this
isn't an OHSA operation after all). This would be a service for my
customers, to let them know for sure whether their walls/kitchen
drawers/whatever are a potential lead hazard.

Helpful replies appreciated.

http://www.just****inggoogleit.com/s...paint+test+kit
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Apr 6, 11:34*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Anyone know where to get lead testing kits? I have in mind something I
can use to test surfaces or pieces of material (for example, chipped
paint) for lead. Something fairly reliable but not super-expensive (this
isn't an OHSA operation after all). This would be a service for my
customers, to let them know for sure whether their walls/kitchen
drawers/whatever are a potential lead hazard.

Helpful replies appreciated.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill

Good that you want to do that, but just a few comments.

First off, get yourself certified to do the lead work. Most training
is free. Go to HUD.gov and read their info from the Office of Lead
Hazard Control http://www.hud.gov/offices/lead/

The training is important so you don't create a bigger problem than
you solve once you start ripping things apart. Quick example: how do
you drill a hole through a plaster wall to install a wire or pipe
without putting dust into the air. Answer: Cover the area with
shaving cream. Seriously. No dust, no problem.

Secondly, I'm not sure if you can legally take lead samples "for hire"
without being certified as a lead risk assessor. You should check
into that.

Finally, most gov't have a not-for-profit working in the area that
does lead work. If you take samples (tape and a knife) and bring them
in, they will usually send them to a lab for a nominal fee and get
real results.

Lead-Safe Work Practices will probably be a big "upsell" in most
markets in the future. People love to protect their kids.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/2008 8:12 AM Pat spake thus:

[...]

Thanks; you've given me some good stuff to think about. I do take this
seriously, so maybe I'll try to get that training.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Thanks; you've given me some good stuff to think about. I do take this
seriously, so maybe I'll try to get that training.

In particular you want to be _VERY_ careful about testing you do and
possible legal ramifications therefrom -- I'd approach it warily and
make sure you know the rules of potential liability you might be
creating for yourself.

The reality of whether there's a serious threat or not isn't really the
issue -- it's the liability that one may create for oneself by missing
out on some legal rule or the implied promise of "clean/dirty" that
might be inferred that I'd be concerned over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Here's a story that will keep you up nights like it is me. We are being sued by a tenant who occupied a rental home sixteen years ago. They had a child aged two. Allegedly the child was exposed to lead paint. The statute of limitations does not start for minors until they are adults, aged 18 in California. After sixteen years the insurance company doesn't have records of our policy. We don't have the policy. Also, the policy they do have from 2002 has a lead "pollution" exclusion. Welcome to world of lead paint lawsuits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

I think the insurance co is shining you on as if it was written in their
favor they would pop up a wet one. I would contact the state insurance cabal
to see if they have one Go to your shyster and ask him for the term that's
used if they don't want to cover you. I can't remember what it is.. Lack of
Faith or something...

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 4:11:37 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/13/2016 3:12 PM, wrote:

Here's a story that will keep you up nights like it is me. We are being sued by a tenant who occupied a rental home sixteen years ago. They had a child aged two. Allegedly the child was exposed to lead paint. The statute of limitations does not start for minors until they are adults, aged 18 in California. After sixteen years the insurance company doesn't have records of our policy. We don't have the policy. Also, the policy they do have from 2002 has a lead "pollution" exclusion. Welcome to world of lead paint lawsuits.

Over the years I've thought about becoming a slumlord but then I read a
story like yours. Good luck, your case sure sucks.

It would seem to me that the defense would go something like this.
They have to prove that the child was harmed by the lead paint, right?
What proof do they have and if they have proof, why did they wait until
now to sue? If they have medical records, test reports while they
were living there, then they certainly would have contacted you at the
time. So would the state, as they would almost certainly have been in
the loop. Or if they learned of it a year later, again, they should
have contacted you so that this danger could have been fixed before
it happened to the next tenant.

So, when did they first learn of this alleged lead poisoning and how
do they know it was your house that caused it? They may still be
within the statute of limitations, but the longer you let something
go, most times the harder it is to prove your case. What was the
history of the house in those 16 years? Anyone else find a lead
problem? Still own it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/2016 3:12 PM, wrote:

Here's a story that will keep you up nights like it is me. We are being sued by a tenant who occupied a rental home sixteen years ago. They had a child aged two. Allegedly the child was exposed to lead paint. The statute of limitations does not start for minors until they are adults, aged 18 in California. After sixteen years the insurance company doesn't have records of our policy. We don't have the policy.

There's a lesson for others.

Also, the policy they do have from 2002 has a lead "pollution" exclusion. Welcome to world of lead paint lawsuits.

Over the years I've thought about becoming a slumlord but then I read a
story like yours. Good luck, your case sure sucks.

It would seem to me that the defense would go something like this.
They have to prove that the child was harmed by the lead paint, right?
What proof do they have and if they have proof, why did they wait until
now to sue?

Because his parents didn't, and now he is, and your objection wouldn't
even be raised in court. That's the point of saying the SOL doesn't
start until the plaintiff is 18. It applies I think to all
negligence suits. Before that rule, children with parents who didn't
look out for their childrens' interests were just screwed.

If they have medical records, test reports while they
were living there, then they certainly would have contacted you at the
time.

Again, that doesn't matter.

So would the state, as they would almost certainly have been in
the loop.

Not if no one reported it. If the kid had the best parents, they
wouldn't have let him eat the paint at all, and they would have moved
if there was peeling lead paint, so we know that either there was no
problem, the parents didn't realize there was one, or they were
negligent parents, so why would they report a problem?

Or if they learned of it a year later, again, they should
have contacted you so that this danger could have been fixed before
it happened to the next tenant.

If the next tenants were only adults, they might not have cared if
there was flaking paint.

So, when did they first learn of this alleged lead poisoning and how
do they know it was your house that caused it? They may still be
within the statute of limitations, but the longer you let something
go, most times the harder it is to prove your case. What was the
history of the house in those 16 years? Anyone else find a lead
problem? Still own it?

That's all true and points in the OP's favor. OP, can you find any
of the other tenants, before or after?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® posted for all of us...

posted for all of us...

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

I remember it: It's called Bad Faith

--
Tekkie

Lead paint test? Remi Home Repair 19 October 16th 06 05:37 PM
Lead-Free vs. 63/37 tin/lead solder [email protected] Electronics Repair 28 June 17th 06 12:29 PM
Workbench kits Alex Metalworking 7 August 14th 05 05:15 PM
Better Pen Kits? JJM Woodturning 1 April 29th 05 06:14 PM
Pen kits Bob Darrah Woodturning 3 July 3rd 04 07:31 PM