T i m

Default Anyone got the Yellow book spare?

Hi All,

No, not the "Yellow pages" but the old version of the IEE Wiring
Regulations (Obviously the latest copy would be nice and I won't say
no etc ..)? Anyone got an old one they want to get rid of please
(think what you could do with the spaced saved!) ;-) I'll cover the
postage or collect if you are Nth London ish?

I'm sure it would be good reading for someone (sad) like me and as
I've just finished reading the Maplin cat front to back (for the 4th
time g) I'm looking for something new and refreshing. Oh, the
"Semiconductor and accessories" section ..boy that *was* good though!

Even that isn't as good as the old 5 part RS books .. sigh

Anyway, I believe the "The IEE On-site Guide" is another 'must read',
so is there a good (1) place to get it from please?

All the best ..

T i m

(1) cheap.

"N u r s e .! T i m's got out of his special jacket again .....!"
John Horne

Actually I do have an old 16th edn Regs going spare. I'd be happy to post it
to you, contact me on the above email address.

Mike Deblis

"T i m" wrote in message
Hi All,

Even that isn't as good as the old 5 part RS books .. sigh

If you are being really sad, then you can get a set of the Farnell cataloges
without even opening an account. A whole EIGHT sections (about 10,000
pages).

Sigh,

Mike

Sparks

I'm sure it would be good reading for someone (sad) like me and as
I've just finished reading the Maplin cat front to back (for the 4th
time g) I'm looking for something new and refreshing. Oh, the
"Semiconductor and accessories" section ..boy that *was* good though!

Can I recommend the CPC catalogue?
2830 odd pages of mostly good stuff!
www.cpc.co.uk

(Open a cash account (Free) and they will send you one)

WARNING.
You will almost certainly find yourself spending a small fortune!

First you will get up to the required £30+vat to get free delivery,
then it will just keep mounting up and up!
Trust me, that book is dangerous!

Sparks...

T i m

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:56:58 -0000, "Mike Deblis"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
Hi All,

Even that isn't as good as the old 5 part RS books .. sigh

If you are being really sad, then you can get a set of the Farnell cataloges
without even opening an account. A whole EIGHT sections (about 10,000
pages).

[T] Oh don't tempt me Mike ... and *free* you say .... hmmm ...
www.farn e ll .. no .. m u s t re . sist ..

T i m

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:43:56 -0000, "Sparks" wrote:

I'm sure it would be good reading for someone (sad) like me and as
I've just finished reading the Maplin cat front to back (for the 4th
time g) I'm looking for something new and refreshing. Oh, the
"Semiconductor and accessories" section ..boy that *was* good though!

Can I recommend the CPC catalogue?
2830 odd pages of mostly good stuff!
www.cpc.co.uk

(Open a cash account (Free) and they will send you one)

WARNING.
You will almost certainly find yourself spending a small fortune!

First you will get up to the required +AKM-30+-vat to get free delivery,
then it will just keep mounting up and up!
Trust me, that book is dangerous!

[T] Sorry, you can't tempt me ... mind you ..'Bargain basement' ..

AV0261465 2m Scart to 2xPhono Plugs -IN @ 32p each ...

+AKM-30 / .32 ..... hmmm ...

All the best ..

T i m
PoP

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:17:34 +0000, T i m wrote:

No, not the "Yellow pages" but the old version of the IEE Wiring
Regulations (Obviously the latest copy would be nice and I won't say
no etc ..)? Anyone got an old one they want to get rid of please
(think what you could do with the spaced saved!) ;-) I'll cover the
postage or collect if you are Nth London ish?

Available on CD from ebay:

http://tinyurl.com/3d52b

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!
T i m

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:25:49 +0000, PoP wrote:

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:17:34 +0000, T i m wrote:

No, not the "Yellow pages" but the old version of the IEE Wiring
Regulations (Obviously the latest copy would be nice and I won't say
no etc ..)? Anyone got an old one they want to get rid of please
(think what you could do with the spaced saved!) ;-) I'll cover the
postage or collect if you are Nth London ish?

Available on CD from ebay:

http://tinyurl.com/3d52b

PoP

[T] Cheers for that fella .. I assume the Regs come out on CD (as well
as hard copy) and these might be 'backup copies' someone has made?

Are these the latest do you know?

All the best ..

T i m
geoff

In message , Sparks
writes
I'm sure it would be good reading for someone (sad) like me and as
I've just finished reading the Maplin cat front to back (for the 4th
time g) I'm looking for something new and refreshing. Oh, the
"Semiconductor and accessories" section ..boy that *was* good though!

Can I recommend the CPC catalogue?
2830 odd pages of mostly good stuff!
www.cpc.co.uk

(Open a cash account (Free) and they will send you one)

WARNING.
You will almost certainly find yourself spending a small fortune!

First you will get up to the required £30+vat to get free delivery,
then it will just keep mounting up and up!
Trust me, that book is dangerous!

You forgot the "sorry it's not in stock" bit

--
geoff
Kalico

"John Horne" wrote in message
Actually I do have an old 16th edn Regs going spare. I'd be happy to post

it
to you, contact me on the above email address.

I just bought the latest Blue copy and the On Site guide for £53 total,
delivered from the Co-op online store. By far the cheapest I could find, if
you need to get hold of the latest.

Rob

T i m

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:26:57 -0000, "Kalico" wrote:

"John Horne" wrote in message
Actually I do have an old 16th edn Regs going spare. I'd be happy to post

it
to you, contact me on the above email address.

I just bought the latest Blue copy and the On Site guide for +AKM-53 total,
delivered from the Co-op online store. By far the cheapest I could find, if
you need to get hold of the latest.

Thanks for that Rob..

I think I could find the whatever for the 'On site guide'? Is that the
sort of 'real world' translation of the full regs for everyday wiring
issues?

Is there more than one of these guides (different publishers etc) out
there and if so, what is 'the' one to have please?

All the best ..

T i m
Lurch

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:49:30 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , Sparks
writes
I'm sure it would be good reading for someone (sad) like me and as
I've just finished reading the Maplin cat front to back (for the 4th
time g) I'm looking for something new and refreshing. Oh, the
"Semiconductor and accessories" section ..boy that *was* good though!

Can I recommend the CPC catalogue?
2830 odd pages of mostly good stuff!
www.cpc.co.uk

(Open a cash account (Free) and they will send you one)

WARNING.
You will almost certainly find yourself spending a small fortune!

First you will get up to the required £30+vat to get free delivery,
then it will just keep mounting up and up!
Trust me, that book is dangerous!

You forgot the "sorry it's not in stock" bit

I'm still waiting for some stuff I've got on back order from Dec 02! I
think they've forgotten.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Sparks

"Kalico" wrote in message
"John Horne" wrote in message
Actually I do have an old 16th edn Regs going spare. I'd be happy to

post
it
to you, contact me on the above email address.

I just bought the latest Blue copy and the On Site guide for £53 total,
delivered from the Co-op online store. By far the cheapest I could find,

if
you need to get hold of the latest.

When you say the blue copy - is that the one with "16 IEE Wiring
Regulations" in blue?
CPC have that for £10.92 (PL04275) http://tinyurl.com/34uaj

Or is that a different one!

Sparks...

Lurch

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:12:18 -0000, "Sparks" wrote:

"Kalico" wrote in message
.. .
"John Horne" wrote in message
Actually I do have an old 16th edn Regs going spare. I'd be happy to

post
it
to you, contact me on the above email address.

I just bought the latest Blue copy and the On Site guide for £53 total,
delivered from the Co-op online store. By far the cheapest I could find,

if
you need to get hold of the latest.

When you say the blue copy - is that the one with "16 IEE Wiring
Regulations" in blue?
CPC have that for £10.92 (PL04275) http://tinyurl.com/34uaj

Or is that a different one!

Different one. It's a guide to rather than the actual regulations.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Chris

Sparks wrote:

When you say the blue copy - is that the one with "16 IEE Wiring
Regulations" in blue?
CPC have that for £10.92 (PL04275) http://tinyurl.com/34uaj

Or is that a different one!

Sparks...

No - that is a set of three guide to the regs (funnily enough written by
the guy who is currently teaching me Inspection Testing and
Certification). From the looks of it they are course books which will
help you to understand / use the regs. I don't know how much use they
will be without the regs rthemselves

Chris

--
cut along the dotted line to reply

geoff

In message , Mike Deblis
writes

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
Hi All,

Even that isn't as good as the old 5 part RS books .. sigh

If you are being really sad, then you can get a set of the Farnell cataloges
without even opening an account. A whole EIGHT sections (about 10,000
pages).

nah und ?

--
geoff
Bob Eager

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:48:41 UTC, T i m wrote:

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:56:58 -0000, "Mike Deblis"
wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
Hi All,
Even that isn't as good as the old 5 part RS books .. sigh

If you are being really sad, then you can get a set of the Farnell cataloges
without even opening an account. A whole EIGHT sections (about 10,000
pages).

[T] Oh don't tempt me Mike ... and *free* you say .... hmmm ...
www.farn e ll .. no .. m u s t re . sist ..

CPC? Resistance is useless!!!!

--
Bob Eager
begin by not using Outlook Express...
T i m

On 26 Feb 2004 23:38:01 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:48:41 UTC, T i m wrote:

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:56:58 -0000, "Mike Deblis"
wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
Hi All,
Even that isn't as good as the old 5 part RS books .. sigh

If you are being really sad, then you can get a set of the Farnell cataloges
without even opening an account. A whole EIGHT sections (about 10,000
pages).

[T] Oh don't tempt me Mike ... and *free* you say .... hmmm ...
www.farn e ll .. no .. m u s t re . sist ..

CPC? Resistance is useless!!!!

I suppose .. unless you are designing a bar fire etc ... ;-)

"Your new 10,000 page catalogue set is only one click away ..."

Noooooo !

All the best ..

T i m

PoP

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:14:44 +0000, T i m wrote:

[T] Cheers for that fella .. I assume the Regs come out on CD (as well
as hard copy) and these might be 'backup copies' someone has made?

I bought one of these CDs a couple of weeks ago. Looks like a hot copy
to me (home made label). I haven't tried it out yet. I have the blue
book and OSG too.

Are these the latest do you know?

Unfortunately I don't know, but according to the ebay site it appears
that the CD has the latest patches/updates to the 16th edition.
Whether that translates to the latest version of the regs I don't
know.

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!
T i m

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 01:20:21 +0000, PoP wrote:

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:14:44 +0000, T i m wrote:

[T] Cheers for that fella .. I assume the Regs come out on CD (as well
as hard copy) and these might be 'backup copies' someone has made?

I bought one of these CDs a couple of weeks ago. Looks like a hot copy
to me (home made label). I haven't tried it out yet. I have the blue
book and OSG too.

Are these the latest do you know?

Unfortunately I don't know, but according to the ebay site it appears
that the CD has the latest patches/updates to the 16th edition.
Whether that translates to the latest version of the regs I don't
know.

PoP

[T] Hi and thanks ..

T i m

Kalico

[snip]
I think I could find the whatever for the 'On site guide'? Is that the
sort of 'real world' translation of the full regs for everyday wiring
issues?

Is there more than one of these guides (different publishers etc) out
there and if so, what is 'the' one to have please?

T i m

Hi Tim

There are no alternative publishers for the actual regs etc and frankly I
fell they are a bit of a rip-off. If anything, they should be provided
free, but I don't wish to court controversy.

The latest actual regs have a blue cover and do not make light reading, but
are THE source of reference for any electrician. Generally, the On Site
Guide is the natural companion to the actual regs and most courses, AFAIK,
would specify both as course materials. All my course notes refer to both.

The OSG is certainly more readable than the actual regs themselves but it
depends what use you are looking to put them to. If you are just wanting to
get an understanding without actually doing the course, then I would think
one of the many books on the subject are better suited, since they are less
likely to be written in 'regs-speak' - another language altogether
sometimes.

It is worth remembering that the regs are not law. They are not statutory.
The idea is that a 'Competent Person' can interpret them to provide the
safest design and installation of anything electrical. The definition of a
Competent Person is another can of worms waiting to be debated!

HTH
Rob

--
Tel. 07010 703 702

Replace SPAM with ORG to reply

Andy Hall

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:33:16 -0000, "Kalico" wrote:

[snip]
I think I could find the whatever for the 'On site guide'? Is that the
sort of 'real world' translation of the full regs for everyday wiring
issues?

Is there more than one of these guides (different publishers etc) out
there and if so, what is 'the' one to have please?

T i m

Hi Tim

There are no alternative publishers for the actual regs etc and frankly I
fell they are a bit of a rip-off. If anything, they should be provided
free, but I don't wish to court controversy.

You're right of course, but standards are a real money spinner. Take
a look at the ISO web site sometime. However, the standards bodies
do need to fund their activities.

BS7671 is cheap on the scale of some of the stuff in there and of
course the IEE does have to pay for the opulent Faraday House on every
day of the week.

One of the tricks is to do loads of cross references to other
standards and to make them a bit obscure so that you can't tell
whether you need to refer to them or not to get the information
required. The EU Machinery Directive and the referenced standards
is a great example of that.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Kalico

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

One of the tricks is to do loads of cross references to other
standards and to make them a bit obscure so that you can't tell
whether you need to refer to them or not to get the information
required. The EU Machinery Directive and the referenced standards
is a great example of that.

.andy

Ah Yes!

Ever tried to get Building Regs, the Fire Officer and the local planning guy
all agreeing to the same thing?

The only solution is to get all the buggers on site at the same time and let
them argue it out.

Sell tickets!

Rob

geoff

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:48:41 UTC, T i m wrote:

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:56:58 -0000, "Mike Deblis"
wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
Hi All,
Even that isn't as good as the old 5 part RS books .. sigh

If you are being really sad, then you can get a set of the Farnell cataloges
without even opening an account. A whole EIGHT sections (about 10,000
pages).

[T] Oh don't tempt me Mike ... and *free* you say .... hmmm ...
www.farn e ll .. no .. m u s t re . sist ..

CPC? Resistance is useless!!!!

You mean ordering is pointless...

"Sorry, we're out of stock and won't be ordering any more"

CPC really **** me off at times

--
geoff
geoff

In message , Lurch
writes
[...]

..

2 years - what are you complaining about?
--
geoff

Martin Angove

In message ,
(Lurch) wrote:

[...]

It's the way that they expect you to pay for their mistakes which I'm
begining to loathe. Twice now they have sent me an incorrect part, but
before sending the correct one out they have insisted that I post the
other back at my own expense complete with their "returns number".

Grrr...

The weekly/fortnightly mailshots are worse than the catalogue, by the
way.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... I entered this message just to use this tagline.
Bob Eager

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:15:20 UTC, Martin Angove
wrote:

It's the way that they expect you to pay for their mistakes which I'm
begining to loathe. Twice now they have sent me an incorrect part, but
before sending the correct one out they have insisted that I post the
other back at my own expense complete with their "returns number".

I had to return something this week. If it's under 750g, I get them to
send me a prepaid label. Rang them yesterday, got returns number, label
arrived this morning, part now in post back to them. Yes, they want to
charge you for replacement and credit later but they are not alone in
that.