Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacement for my Samsung Galaxy S4 mini Gt19195 phone

It is cream-crackered. I am looking for a replacement, sadly they all
see quite a bit larger, I am not a believer in the larger the better.
Who wants to lug a great big phone around. Any suggestions please? I'd
prefer new to refurbished, but if needs must..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had a 7 year old S3 mini die a couple of weeks ago and ended up with a Samsung A10. Nice phone but much bigger as you say.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2020 13:36, Broadback wrote:
It is cream-crackered. I am looking for a replacement, sadly they all
see quite a bit larger, I am not a believer in the larger the better.
Who wants to lug a great big phone around. Any suggestions please? I'd
prefer new to refurbished, but if needs must..

I replaced my Samsung S4 mini with an Xiaomi Mi A2 bought from eglobal
in January 2019. The phone is larger but does work quite well, more
space for Apps than the S4 mini. I have a screen protector and a
separate case.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message ...

It is cream-crackered. I am looking for a replacement, sadly they all
see quite a bit larger, I am not a believer in the larger the better.
Who wants to lug a great big phone around. Any suggestions please? I'd
prefer new to refurbished, but if needs must..

======

I had exactly the one you have! It took a wee while but I now have a
Samsung Galaxy A51 and I am getting on fine with it.

I didn't want change mine either but I am getting used to it just finel

Good luck, I hope you find what suits you!

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2020 13:36, Broadback wrote:

It is cream-crackered. I am looking for a replacement, sadly they all
see quite a bit larger, I am not a believer in the larger the better.
Who wants to lug a great big phone around. Any suggestions please? I'd
prefer new to refurbished, but if needs must..

SWMBO had a similar problem jumping from feature phone to smart phone -
ended up with with a Samsung J3 and a larger handbag :-)

(Personally I find the Moto G series very good for the price - but they
have been getting bigger with each new version. However even "plus" one
I have at the moment, fits in a jacket pocket ok - and the extra screen
space is nice at times)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bigger means more battery life of course, which is why most of them ar big!

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Broadback" wrote in message
It is cream-crackered. I am looking for a replacement, sadly they all see
quite a bit larger, I am not a believer in the larger the better. Who
wants to lug a great big phone around. Any suggestions please? I'd prefer
new to refurbished, but if needs must..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
It is cream-crackered. I am looking for a replacement, sadly they all
see quite a bit larger, I am not a believer in the larger the better.
Who wants to lug a great big phone around. Any suggestions please? I'd
prefer new to refurbished, but if needs must..

As long as the phone is reasonably comfortable to use mostly one handed I
wouldnt be too shy of up-sizing a bit. I used to have a One+3 which was
annoyingly a bit too wide to use easily. Ive since downsized to a Samsung
Galaxy A40 which Im very happy with. Its small enough to use with a full
leather flip cover for protection without being too bulky to fit in my
pocket. Ive cracked too many screens not to have a full cover these days.

Good combination of features and performance for the price. This was over a
year ago though so no doubt there are new kids on the block. Normally Id
say wander into Carphone Warehouse and cop a feel of a few phones but I
guess this isnt the time to do that. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
It is cream-crackered. I am looking for a replacement, sadly they all
see quite a bit larger, I am not a believer in the larger the better.
Who wants to lug a great big phone around. Any suggestions please? I'd
prefer new to refurbished, but if needs must..

Have a look at Sony - they make small but decent phones.
For instance the Xperia XZ1 Compact is 4.6".

However we don't know what your other requirements are, so can't really
advise on any particular model.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bigger means more battery life of course, which is why most of them ar big!

Bigger screen usually require more power. Despite fitting larger
capacity batteries to larger phone the time required between charges
hasn't changed much over the years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 April 2020 13:36:13 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
It is cream-crackered. I am looking for a replacement, sadly they all
see quite a bit larger, I am not a believer in the larger the better.
Who wants to lug a great big phone around. Any suggestions please? I'd
prefer new to refurbished, but if needs must..

Those are still perfectly capable phones, why not get another one?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Wrote in message:
Broadback wrote:
It is cream-crackered. I am looking for a replacement, sadly they all
see quite a bit larger, I am not a believer in the larger the better.
Who wants to lug a great big phone around. Any suggestions please? I'd
prefer new to refurbished, but if needs must..

Have a look at Sony - they make small but decent phones.
For instance the Xperia XZ1 Compact is 4.6".

However we don't know what your other requirements are, so can't really
advise on any particular model.

Theo

From personal experience I would avoid Sony phones. Since they
split from Ericsson ages ago, I have had 3 Sony's - all had
fundamental issues.
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote:
From personal experience I would avoid Sony phones. Since they
split from Ericsson ages ago, I have had 3 Sony's - all had
fundamental issues.

What was wrong with them, OOI?

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Although there are recent LineageOS roms for various G4 models,
if you are happy installing that sort of thing (and your various
preferred apps do not object - e.g. banking ones might).

#Paul

anything wrong with the A8 or A10?

I don't know. The only phone I've installed Lineage on is an old J1
(from 2013!), which has given it a new lease on life. However, it's an
unofficial build (since Lineage do not support J1's any more), so it
still doesn't get reliable updates; it's just that at least its OS is
at least updated to their 2019 version of android 7/Nougat, rather
4/Kitkat from 2015 or whenever the last Samsung J1 android update was.

AFAIH, Samsung has not got a great record of keeping software updates
going (not that many manufacturers have), but their more popular phones
often seem to get Lineage support for a while. There seems to be an
unofficial rom for the A8, but presumably A10's are new enough to still
get Samsung updates?

Installing unofficial roms on a phone is probably fine, and the
developer/ builder is probably perfectly trustworthy, but how can you
be sure? You wouldn't want to trust anything too important to it. But
to revitalize a handy second-line phone for a bog-snorkelling holiday,
fixing the roof, lending to a small boy, or whatever, it's invaluable.

#Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 April 2020 11:32:05 UTC+1, #Paul wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Wednesday, 8 April 2020 13:36:13 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:

It is cream-crackered. I am looking for a replacement, sadly they all
see quite a bit larger, I am not a believer in the larger the better.
Who wants to lug a great big phone around. Any suggestions please? I'd
prefer new to refurbished, but if needs must..

Those are still perfectly capable phones, why not get another one?

Because its a five year old phone, and even a replacement will
(still) not have had any software/security fixes for several years?

Sure, but the OP was perfectly happy with one. Assuming its not wanted for online banking etc they're perfectly effective.

When I last looked at new phones I didn't see much in small sizes. There are terrible new ones & there are relatively good used ones - having experienced both I'd pick the latter any time.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Wrote in message:
Jimk wrote:
From personal experience I would avoid Sony phones. Since they
split from Ericsson ages ago, I have had 3 Sony's - all had
fundamental issues.

What was wrong with them, OOI?

Theo

Screen based issues iirc, one dual SIM phone could not handle 2 Sims!

One (Xperia) had a screen issue that meant you only got 2or3
minutes until the screen failed to register touches accurately -
aka 'kin useless!

Turned out that was a swollen battery -now replaced (for fun) as
it's capacity became hopeless the phone works but is of course
now out of date & capability.

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----