Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Water sealing a hole

I've got a piece of plastic through which I want to pass a 1/2" hose.

I want the seal between the hose and the plastic to be watertight but
not permanent, eg I don't want to use a glue.

The container through which the hose will go will be holding about 2"
of water and then will overflow, basically a bird bath with a fountain
through the middle. At the moment the water is seeping back through
the rough 1/2" hole and the hose.

My caulking compound, last used 3yrs ago is as solid as a rock. I
don't want to buy another tube just for a tiddly job, neither do I
want to go to the shops.

Ideas?

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
I've got a piece of plastic through which I want to pass a 1/2" hose.

I want the seal between the hose and the plastic to be watertight but
not permanent, eg I don't want to use a glue.

The container through which the hose will go will be holding about 2"
of water and then will overflow, basically a bird bath with a fountain
through the middle. At the moment the water is seeping back through
the rough 1/2" hole and the hose.

My caulking compound, last used 3yrs ago is as solid as a rock. I
don't want to buy another tube just for a tiddly job, neither do I
want to go to the shops.

Ideas?

Hot glue?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Apr 2020 13:40:32 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Hot glue?

A hot glue stick, without the gun, heated with a candle/Lighter/blowtorch?

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/20 13:56, AnthonyL wrote:
I've got a piece of plastic through which I want to pass a 1/2" hose.

I want the seal between the hose and the plastic to be watertight but
not permanent, eg I don't want to use a glue.

The container through which the hose will go will be holding about 2"
of water and then will overflow, basically a bird bath with a fountain
through the middle. At the moment the water is seeping back through
the rough 1/2" hole and the hose.

My caulking compound, last used 3yrs ago is as solid as a rock. I
don't want to buy another tube just for a tiddly job, neither do I
want to go to the shops.

Ideas?

Blue tack. Or putty. But only if the hose isn't moving at all.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2020 13:56, AnthonyL wrote:
I've got a piece of plastic through which I want to pass a 1/2" hose.

I want the seal between the hose and the plastic to be watertight but
not permanent, eg I don't want to use a glue.

The container through which the hose will go will be holding about 2"
of water and then will overflow, basically a bird bath with a fountain
through the middle. At the moment the water is seeping back through
the rough 1/2" hole and the hose.

My caulking compound, last used 3yrs ago is as solid as a rock. I
don't want to buy another tube just for a tiddly job, neither do I
want to go to the shops.

Ideas?

Grommet? IIRC the ones used for electrical metal back boxes are much the
same size as a hose. I'd say the rough hole is one of your problems, may
be better to tape it closed and cut a clean one with a taper or stepped
cutter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 April 2020 13:56:19 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
I've got a piece of plastic through which I want to pass a 1/2" hose.

I want the seal between the hose and the plastic to be watertight but
not permanent, eg I don't want to use a glue.

The container through which the hose will go will be holding about 2"
of water and then will overflow, basically a bird bath with a fountain
through the middle. At the moment the water is seeping back through
the rough 1/2" hole and the hose.

My caulking compound, last used 3yrs ago is as solid as a rock. I
don't want to buy another tube just for a tiddly job, neither do I
want to go to the shops.

Ideas?

Plumber's Mate.
Blue tack.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wiring-or...m/253109521891

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

- Stephen Vizinczey

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Apr 2020 12:56:16 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

I've got a piece of plastic through which I want to pass a 1/2" hose.

I want the seal between the hose and the plastic to be watertight but
not permanent, eg I don't want to use a glue.

The container through which the hose will go will be holding about 2" of
water and then will overflow, basically a bird bath with a fountain
through the middle. At the moment the water is seeping back through the
rough 1/2" hole and the hose.

My caulking compound, last used 3yrs ago is as solid as a rock. I don't
want to buy another tube just for a tiddly job, neither do I want to go
to the shops.

Ideas?

Use a thick walled rubber hose through a smaller hole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Silicon seal

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Apr 2020 11:25:33 +0100, Pancho
wrote:

On 01/04/2020 13:56, AnthonyL wrote:
I've got a piece of plastic through which I want to pass a 1/2" hose.

I want the seal between the hose and the plastic to be watertight but
not permanent, eg I don't want to use a glue.

The container through which the hose will go will be holding about 2"
of water and then will overflow, basically a bird bath with a fountain
through the middle. At the moment the water is seeping back through
the rough 1/2" hole and the hose.

My caulking compound, last used 3yrs ago is as solid as a rock. I
don't want to buy another tube just for a tiddly job, neither do I
want to go to the shops.

Ideas?

Chewing gum.

Good shout. I'm half way through one now.

(Hope I don't spread any virus to the frogs though.)