Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Refurb old radiator?

I've removed a rad at work, that's old enough to almost be interesting,
It's been painted and painted again, badly, I wouldn't mind stripping it
and reusing it.

Can I DIY the paint off it, or is it likely to need dipping or blasting
or....

And then i'd like it to be bronze.

Any input appreciated as ever.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2020 12:57, R D S wrote:
I've removed a rad at work, that's old enough to almost be interesting,
It's been painted and painted again, badly, I wouldn't mind stripping it
and reusing it.

Can I DIY the paint off it, or is it likely to need dipping or blasting
or....

And then i'd like it to be bronze.

Any input appreciated as ever.

Today' EU regulation limited paint stripper is di take it to a grit
blaster if you can, or Nitromors and a pressure washer MIGHT do the
similar job much slower and more messily...

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 March 2020 12:57:56 UTC, R D S wrote:
I've removed a rad at work, that's old enough to almost be interesting,
It's been painted and painted again, badly, I wouldn't mind stripping it
and reusing it.

Can I DIY the paint off it, or is it likely to need dipping or blasting
or....

And then i'd like it to be bronze.

Any input appreciated as ever.

If it's a steel one, throw it away.

If it's a cast iron sectional, worth doing. Do not bang around or drop. it will leak on the joints. Very hard to fix.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
I've removed a rad at work, that's old enough to almost be interesting,
It's been painted and painted again, badly, I wouldn't mind stripping it
and reusing it.

Can I DIY the paint off it, or is it likely to need dipping or blasting
or....

Best to get it sandblasted. That will go straight through any weak points,
so a test if suitable for further use too.

--
*My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
I've removed a rad at work, that's old enough to almost be interesting,
It's been painted and painted again, badly, I wouldn't mind stripping it
and reusing it.

Can I DIY the paint off it, or is it likely to need dipping or blasting
or....

Best to get it sandblasted. That will go straight through any weak points,
so a test if suitable for further use too.

Not a caustic soda dip as done for stripped pine in the dim and distant?
Cast iron of course are made from separate units with joins, so caustic
might attack whatever goo was used there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 March 2020 12:57:56 UTC, R D S wrote:
I've removed a rad at work, that's old enough to almost be interesting,
It's been painted and painted again, badly, I wouldn't mind stripping it
and reusing it.

Can I DIY the paint off it, or is it likely to need dipping or blasting
or....

And then i'd like it to be bronze.

Any input appreciated as ever.

Acid dip or blast is the usual optoin. You can also de-rust using HCl, wiping it off once it's done its spot. But HCl leaves the surface so reactive that if you let it dry by itself it wlil be rusty by the time it's dry. Wipe it dry & undercoat without delay. Or better, zinc coat the patches using a battery casing & charger.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2020 12:57, R D S wrote:
I've removed a rad at work, that's old enough to almost be interesting,
It's been painted and painted again, badly, I wouldn't mind stripping it
and reusing it.

Can I DIY the paint off it, or is it likely to need dipping or blasting
or....

And then i'd like it to be bronze.

Any input appreciated as ever.

Sods law says it's only the paint layers that stops it leaking

Old loft conversion/refurb [email protected] UK diy 5 November 15th 16 12:15 PM
old gate hinge refurb options? Jim K[_3_] UK diy 4 May 25th 13 10:38 AM
Refurb of old walls - insulate inside or outside? Andy Dingley UK diy 12 November 20th 08 02:02 PM
Loss of facilities when refurb bathrrom, solutions? Broadback UK diy 17 September 10th 04 06:45 PM
bathroom refurb andyd UK diy 0 August 23rd 04 12:21 PM