Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Refurb old radiator?

In article ,
R D S wrote:
I've removed a rad at work, that's old enough to almost be interesting,
It's been painted and painted again, badly, I wouldn't mind stripping it
and reusing it.

Can I DIY the paint off it, or is it likely to need dipping or blasting
or....

Best to get it sandblasted. That will go straight through any weak points,
so a test if suitable for further use too.

Not a caustic soda dip as done for stripped pine in the dim and distant?
Cast iron of course are made from separate units with joins, so caustic
might attack whatever goo was used there.