Broadback

Default Loss of facilities when refurb bathrrom, solutions?

I am going to refurbish the bathroom, I wish to fit the flooring under
the toilet and washbasin. Sadly there is no other toilet in the house,
anyone any ideas of how to work round this, apart from everyone crossing
their legs?
I thought of a porti potty type thing, but there are no manhole covers
where I could empty the thing down.
TIA
--
Please do not reply by Email, as all
emails to this address are automatically deleted.
Ian Stirling

Broadback wrote:
I am going to refurbish the bathroom, I wish to fit the flooring under
the toilet and washbasin. Sadly there is no other toilet in the house,
anyone any ideas of how to work round this, apart from everyone crossing
their legs?
I thought of a porti potty type thing, but there are no manhole covers
where I could empty the thing down.

Funnel + existing soil pipe?

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Broadback writes:
I am going to refurbish the bathroom, I wish to fit the flooring under
the toilet and washbasin. Sadly there is no other toilet in the house,
anyone any ideas of how to work round this, apart from everyone crossing
their legs?
I thought of a porti potty type thing, but there are no manhole covers
where I could empty the thing down.

If you were employing builders, it would be the reason for ~5 visits
to the pub each day...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Christian McArdle

Sadly there is no other toilet in the house, anyone any ideas of how
to work round this, apart from everyone crossing their legs?

I managed to completely refurb my only bathroom without additional
facilities using careful planning. I went a maximum of 30 minutes without
toilet facilities, even though much of the soil pipe branch needed
replacing. The toilet was a swap from a close coupled type to a concealed
cistern flush pipe model.

I also replaced the floor (carpet for waterproof laminate) at the same time.
Underneath the toilet. This was done using wooden spacers underneath and not
bolting it down until it was time to do the floor properly.

Christian.

The Natural Philosopher

Broadback wrote:

I am going to refurbish the bathroom, I wish to fit the flooring under
the toilet and washbasin. Sadly there is no other toilet in the house,
anyone any ideas of how to work round this, apart from everyone crossing
their legs?
I thought of a porti potty type thing, but there are no manhole covers
where I could empty the thing down.
TIA

Do it fast, pee in the garden, and send the girls to their aunties for
the day.

rrh

I have seen hired phonebox-sized portaloos outside peoples' houses round
here (North London). Can't recall any of the companies' names but I'm sure
you could google them. Might be expensive for a short time but would give
you peace of mind (and body).

Andy Hall

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 17:54:00 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Sadly there is no other toilet in the house, anyone any ideas of how
to work round this, apart from everyone crossing their legs?

I managed to completely refurb my only bathroom without additional
facilities using careful planning. I went a maximum of 30 minutes without
toilet facilities, even though much of the soil pipe branch needed
replacing.

I'd see a doctor if I were you ;-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Brett Jackson

If you have a supermarket nearby they're not too fussy about you actually
buying something when you use the facilities. Luckily we have one a few
hundred yards down the road that came in handy when our toilet was out of
action for the day!

"Broadback" wrote in message
I am going to refurbish the bathroom, I wish to fit the flooring under
the toilet and washbasin. Sadly there is no other toilet in the house,
anyone any ideas of how to work round this, apart from everyone crossing
their legs?
I thought of a porti potty type thing, but there are no manhole covers
where I could empty the thing down.
TIA
--
Please do not reply by Email, as all
emails to this address are automatically deleted.

:::Jerry::::

"rrh" wrote in message
I have seen hired phonebox-sized portaloos outside peoples' houses round
here (North London). Can't recall any of the companies' names but I'm sure
you could google them. Might be expensive for a short time but would give
you peace of mind (and body).

Just about any builders / event hire company will have these to hire out,
AIUI all building sites have to have proper toilet facilities or portable
portaloos now. The hire company deals with the emptying again AIUI.

Frank Erskine

In article , Broadback
writes
I am going to refurbish the bathroom, I wish to fit the flooring under
the toilet and washbasin. Sadly there is no other toilet in the house,
anyone any ideas of how to work round this, apart from everyone crossing
their legs?
I thought of a porti potty type thing, but there are no manhole covers
where I could empty the thing down.
TIA

I'm only 5 minutes walk from Sainsbury's, where the facilities were
adequate (apart from no bath!).

--
Frank Erskine

:::Jerry::::

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
snip
I'm only 5 minutes walk from Sainsbury's, where the facilities were
adequate (apart from no bath!).

You mean they have showers in your Sainsbury's ?! :~)

John Rumm

Broadback wrote:

the toilet and washbasin. Sadly there is no other toilet in the house,

There is the excuse you need.... install a new loo elsewhere first ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

raden

In message , Broadback
writes
I am going to refurbish the bathroom, I wish to fit the flooring under
the toilet and washbasin. Sadly there is no other toilet in the house,
anyone any ideas of how to work round this, apart from everyone
crossing their legs?
I thought of a porti potty type thing, but there are no manhole covers
where I could empty the thing down.
TIA

Shovel and a hole in the ground

Don't you have any sympathetic neighbours?

--
geoff
chris French

In message , Christian
McArdle writes
Sadly there is no other toilet in the house, anyone any ideas of how
to work round this, apart from everyone crossing their legs?

I managed to completely refurb my only bathroom without additional
facilities using careful planning. I went a maximum of 30 minutes without
toilet facilities, even though much of the soil pipe branch needed
replacing. The toilet was a swap from a close coupled type to a concealed
cistern flush pipe model.

Same here. Mine included moving the WC (or rather putting a new WC in
different place) much could eb done first, but I had to remove old pipe,
install new longer jointed pipe etc. I did the job when there was just
me in the house, so no problem having the loo out of action for a
couple of hours.

I also replaced the floor (carpet for waterproof laminate) at the same time.
Underneath the toilet. This was done using wooden spacers underneath and not
bolting it down until it was time to do the floor properly.

Didn't have an issue with the flooring, and the OP doesn't say what sort
of floor - but assuming tiles or something can't see why either the bit
under the loo can't either be done first or last, so I would imagine it
would only need to be removed for a couple of hours say at the most

Rest of the bathroom doesn't matter so much - esp hand basin, kitchen
sinks or bowls are fine.
--
Chris French, Leeds
adder

Broadback wrote in message ...
I am going to refurbish the bathroom, I wish to fit the flooring under
the toilet and washbasin. Sadly there is no other toilet in the house,
anyone any ideas of how to work round this, apart from everyone crossing
their legs?
I thought of a porti potty type thing, but there are no manhole covers
where I could empty the thing down.
TIA

Unless you're tiling, then it can be a quick job to remove the loo, do
the flooring, & put the loo back even if only rested on the floor.
You don't *need* a cistern attached if you've got a bucket of water to
flush with.

...or you could floor the bit infront of the loo, then get a soil pipe
& pan connector & extend the loo into the room to be able to floor
behind it (what would eventually be under it)

Owain

":::Jerry::::" wrote
| I have seen hired phonebox-sized portaloos outside peoples' houses
| round here (North London).
| Just about any builders / event hire company will have these to hire out,
| AIUI all building sites have to have proper toilet facilities or portable
| portaloos now. The hire company deals with the emptying again AIUI.

If it's in a 'vulnerable' location (from wind or vandals), TIE IT DOWN.
They're not nice if they get tipped over ...

Owain

Rick Dipper

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 17:26:54 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

I am going to refurbish the bathroom, I wish to fit the flooring under
the toilet and washbasin. Sadly there is no other toilet in the house,
anyone any ideas of how to work round this, apart from everyone crossing
their legs?
I thought of a porti potty type thing, but there are no manhole covers
where I could empty the thing down.
TIA

If you use a tree in the garden, for number 1's you can get a good few
hours with no loo. So a bit of planning up front, and you are sorted.

Rick

John Stumbles

wrote:

I am going to refurbish the bathroom, I wish to fit the flooring under
the toilet and washbasin. Sadly there is no other toilet in the house,
anyone any ideas of how to work round this, apart from everyone crossing
their legs?
I thought of a porti potty type thing, but there are no manhole covers
where I could empty the thing down.

Can't you empty it down the soil stack, or maybe a helpful neighbour's loo?
You should only need to empty it once or twice a week, less if you only use
it for no 2s and pee in a pot or washbasin etc, so you should be able to
empty it down your own loo when you're finished.

I once heard a story about a well known yorkshireman TV chatshow host (who
shall remain anonymous*) who upset his hosts at a dinner party when they
found him peeing in the kitchen sink. Apparently they were particularly
upset because all the dinner dishes were piled up in it at the time!

* OK it was Parky :-)