Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default resistor packs

I take it car blower resistor packs are cooled by the airflow of the fan
they are controlling....?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2020 07:55, Jim Stewart wrote:
I take it car blower resistor packs are cooled by the airflow of the fan
they are controlling....?

Sometimes not well enough
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Stewart wrote

I take it car blower resistor packs are cooled
by the airflow of the fan they are controlling....?

Unlikely they use resistor packs anymore.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2020 08:46, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote
I take it car blower resistor packs are cooled by the airflow of the
fan they are controlling....?

Unlikely they use resistor packs anymore.

what is used then ? .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
On 07/03/2020 08:46, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote
I take it car blower resistor packs are cooled by the airflow of the fan
they are controlling....?

Unlikely they use resistor packs anymore.

what is used then ? .....

A decent modern electronic control.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2020 09:32, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
On 07/03/2020 08:46, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote
I take it car blower resistor packs are cooled by the airflow of the
fan they are controlling....?

Unlikely they use resistor packs anymore.

what is used then ? .....

A decent modern electronic control.

that is good because these resistors fail regularly...doing mine when I
get home on Monday.....until then I either freeze and can hear the radio
of I can't ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Stewart wrote:
On 07/03/2020 08:46, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote
I take it car blower resistor packs are cooled by the airflow of the
fan they are controlling....?

Unlikely they use resistor packs anymore.

what is used then ? .....

Electronic control using MOSFETs probably, switch the power to the
motor on and off very fast varying the on/off ratio to give speed
control. There are lots of speed control chips available off the
shelf for driving the MOSFET, overall very cheap to implement nowadays
and can easily be well over 90% efficient as MOSFETs are very nearly
perfect switches.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2020 09:43, Chris Green wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
On 07/03/2020 08:46, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote
I take it car blower resistor packs are cooled by the airflow of the
fan they are controlling....?

Unlikely they use resistor packs anymore.

what is used then ? .....

Electronic control using MOSFETs probably, switch the power to the
motor on and off very fast varying the on/off ratio to give speed
control. There are lots of speed control chips available off the
shelf for driving the MOSFET, overall very cheap to implement nowadays
and can easily be well over 90% efficient as MOSFETs are very nearly
perfect switches.

thanks..good idea.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 7 Mar 2020 19:46:47 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I take it car blower resistor packs are cooled
by the airflow of the fan they are controlling....?

Unlikely they use resistor packs anymore.

So they've become rejects, like you, you unwanted useless sociopathic senile
pest.

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rodent:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Mar 2020 20:32:43 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

what is used then ? .....

A decent modern electronic control.

Talking about modern electronics, senile asshole: did you have another nice
chat with Alexa again, you obnoxious lonely pest? LOL

--
Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote

I take it car blower resistor packs are cooled
by the airflow of the fan they are controlling....?

Unlikely they use resistor packs anymore.

my Peugeot 505, early 1980s vintage , used an OCR 35. I suspect the rest of
the world has caught up by now.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
On 07/03/2020 08:46, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote
I take it car blower resistor packs are cooled by the airflow of the
fan they are controlling....?

Unlikely they use resistor packs anymore.

what is used then ? .....

Electronic control using MOSFETs probably, switch the power to the
motor on and off very fast varying the on/off ratio to give speed
control. There are lots of speed control chips available off the
shelf for driving the MOSFET, overall very cheap to implement nowadays
and can easily be well over 90% efficient as MOSFETs are very nearly
perfect switches.

First car I had with that was a BMW E39. Known as the hedgehog. That also
was cooled by the heater airflow. First thing that failed in that car too.
Oddly, the resistor pack in the 35 year old Rover is still fine, and the
heater motor near always on the mid setting.

The controller on the BMW was very nice. On auto, it started off on low
with the engine cold, then ramped up the speed as it warmed up to heat the
interior as fast as possible, then ramped back down to a quiet setting
once the desired cabin temperature was achieved.

--
*If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2020 10:30, charles wrote:
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote

I take it car blower resistor packs are cooled
by the airflow of the fan they are controlling....?

Unlikely they use resistor packs anymore.

my Peugeot 505, early 1980s vintage , used an OCR 35. I suspect the rest of
the world has caught up by now.

ITYM OC35?

PNP power transistors that would do a few amps when bolted to the chassis...

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.

Herbert Spencer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote

I take it car blower resistor packs are cooled
by the airflow of the fan they are controlling....?

Unlikely they use resistor packs anymore.

my Peugeot 505, early 1980s vintage , used an OCR 35. I suspect the rest of
the world has caught up by now.

Whilst there are no doubt better ways of doing it, resistor packs are still
commonly found. Even Binky has one and its not even finished yet! ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 07/03/2020 10:30, charles wrote:
In article , Rod Speed
wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote

I take it car blower resistor packs are cooled by the airflow of the
fan they are controlling....?

Unlikely they use resistor packs anymore.

my Peugeot 505, early 1980s vintage , used an OCR 35. I suspect the
rest of the world has caught up by now.

ITYM OC35?

PNP power transistors that would do a few amps when bolted to the
chassis...

sorry typo should be 'OC35'.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2020 10:30, charles wrote:
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote

I take it car blower resistor packs are cooled
by the airflow of the fan they are controlling....?

Unlikely they use resistor packs anymore.

my Peugeot 505, early 1980s vintage , used an OCR 35. I suspect the rest of
the world has caught up by now.

My 05 Pug had a dropper resistor pack, tucked up above the footwell,
inside the air-flow - absolute mare of a job to get out...

Interestingly, the resistor itself was OK - it was the plastic pluggery
around the connections that had melted, causing an intermittent (and,
eventually, permanent) open-circuit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 07/03/2020 10:30, charles wrote:
In article , Rod Speed
wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote

I take it car blower resistor packs are cooled by the airflow of the
fan they are controlling....?

Unlikely they use resistor packs anymore.

my Peugeot 505, early 1980s vintage , used an OCR 35. I suspect the
rest of the world has caught up by now.

ITYM OC35?

PNP power transistors that would do a few amps when bolted to the
chassis...

sorry typo should be 'OC35'.

I'd hope the world has moved on from them. ;-)

--
*INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2020 13:05, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
On 07/03/2020 10:30, charles wrote:
In article ,
*** Rod Speed wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote

I take it car blower resistor packs are cooled
by the airflow of the fan they are controlling....?

Unlikely they use resistor packs anymore.

my Peugeot 505, early 1980s vintage , used an OCR 35. I suspect the
rest of
the world has caught up by now.

My 05 Pug had a dropper resistor pack, tucked up above the footwell,
inside the air-flow - absolute mare of a job to get out...

Interestingly, the resistor itself was OK - it was the plastic pluggery
around the connections that had melted, causing an intermittent (and,
eventually, permanent) open-circuit

yes going to look for that problem when I do it on Monday .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2020 09:36, Jim Stewart wrote:
On 07/03/2020 09:32, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
On 07/03/2020 08:46, Rod Speed wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote
I take it car blower resistor packs are cooled by the airflow of
the fan they are controlling....?

Unlikely they use resistor packs anymore.

what is used then ? .....

A decent modern electronic control.

that is good because these resistors fail regularly...doing mine when I
get home on Monday.....until then I either freeze and can hear the radio
of I can't ....

It was/is usually the thermal fuse that failed in the resistor packs. If
the fuse blew the lower 3 speed settings would not work but the fastest
always did because the resistor pack was no longer in circuit with the
blower motor being directly across 12V.