Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Singer sewing machine foot control

Anyone know how these work?

The foot control of my wife's 1980's Singer sewing machine started
emitting smoke a couple of days ago and, at one stage, the motor ran
without having her foot on the pedal.

Mr Google suggests that it contains a capacitor which, if it develops a
short circuit, can exhibit these symptoms. I opened it up to have a look
and there was was a nasty smell from the vicinity of the capacitor, but
nothing obviously burnt out. I've ordered a new capacitor, anyway, and
will fit it when it arrives. Meanwhile, I've blown all the dust out of
the foot control with an airline, and tested it - and it seems to be
working ok.

But speed control isn't very progressive - it tends to be virtually all
or nothing, like a car accelerator which only has two positions. [This
isn't new - it was like this before it started smoking.]

So I'm trying to understand how the speed control is supposed to work.

https://app.box.com/s/inzt3elo35uq13srz5fqi7qg15ei7z8x shows a photo of
the foot control with the hinged top open. The brown and blue wires are
connected together via a ceramic cylinder which has a piece of carbon
rod protruding from each end. The one at the left hand end is spring-loaded.

When the lid is closed and pressed down, a post on its underside presses
down on the centre of the long copper? strip so that it makes contact
with another strip below (hidden in the photo) which is connected to the
brown wire - swiching on the motor. As the lid is pressed down more, the
upturned part at the left hand end of the copper strip moves to the
right and presses on the spring-loaded carbon rod. I assume that it is
somehow meant to increase the motor speed, but I don't understand what's
going on inside the ceramic cylinder.

Can anyone throw any light on this?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 5 March 2020 23:10:06 UTC, Roger Mills wrote:

[...]

The white tube is a variable carbon resistor. Increasing pressure on the end lowers the resistance. It oughta be progressive. And shouldn't smoke

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

There is a pile of carbon disks in a tube. Pressing on the foot control squeezes them together thus lowering resistance and increasing motor speed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 March 2020 06:50:18 UTC, harry wrote:
[...]

It can be opened up and the disks cleaned up/smoothed with fine sandpaper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

Mr Google suggests that it contains a capacitor which, if it develops a
short circuit, can exhibit these symptoms

The oblong capacitor might just be for suppression, it looks like a
metallised film type, older ones are susceptible to developing cracks in
their case, try de-soldering it or snipping it out ... if that helps
then an example replacement X2 cap would be

https://uk.farnell.com/epcos/b32922c3104k000/cap-0-1-f-10-pp/dp/2728566

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2020 23:10, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

May be a primitive carbon variable resistor. More pressure = less
resistance. Or the ceramic cylinder has a sliding contact on a carbon
rod to be a variable resistor.

You can get repair kits for these (
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-S...S/262084594501
) - that silvery cap has GONE - but I'd definitely be looking to
replace with something electronic.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds a bit crude to me. Is the motor a brushed type or not?
I would have expected a triac in the circuit if its a brushed motor, with a
circuit a bit like a light dimmer but with some kind of protection due to
the inductive load it prevents.
If the variable resistor is worn then jumpy control will be the result.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:

That sounds awfully crude to me, I'd have suspected something like a drill
speed control circuit.
Brian

The design predates solid state electronics.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2020 09:08, Roger Hayter wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:

That sounds awfully crude to me, I'd have suspected something like a drill
speed control circuit.
Brian

The design predates solid state electronics.

ISTR a big wirewound pot in me mums control. 60s vintage.

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2020 01:08, wrote:
[...]

Yes, it's a 'carbon pile rheostat' patented by Singer in 1949 - lots of
carbon discs in a tube and you lower the resistance by squeezing them
together. Google the phrase and there are some instructions on
repairing them.

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

resistance. Or the ceramic cylinder hasÂ* a sliding contact on a carbon
rod to be a variable resistor.

You can get repair kits for these (
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-S...S/262084594501
)Â* - that silvery cap has GONE - but I'd definitely be looking to
replace with something electronic.

Thanks, but that 'kit' consists only of a capacitor - and I have already
ordered a similar one from a different source. Look like I could so with
replacing the carbon pile rheostat - but no-one seems to sell those.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:

That sounds awfully crude to me, I'd have suspected something like a drill
speed control circuit.
Brian

The design predates solid state electronics.

Indeed. There's nothing 'electronic' about mine.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That sounds awfully crude to me, I'd have suspected something like a drill
speed control circuit.
Brian

It probably depends on the age of the machine. The clue is in the
original post - the machine is 40 years old.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote in
:

Thanks, but that 'kit' consists only of a capacitor - and I have
already ordered a similar one from a different source. Look like I
could so with replacing the carbon pile rheostat - but no-one seems to
sell those.

I wonder if there is an all electronic replacement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 March 2020 22:49:53 UTC, John wrote:
Roger Mills wrote in
:

Thanks, but that 'kit' consists only of a capacitor - and I have
already ordered a similar one from a different source. Look like I
could so with replacing the carbon pile rheostat - but no-one seems to
sell those.

I wonder if there is an all electronic replacement.

I expect somewhere there are generic controllers that will work with a wide range of machines. Probably any old school foot controller would work if you fitted the lead that goes to the machine to it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2020 22:49, John wrote:
Roger Mills wrote in
:

Thanks, but that 'kit' consists only of a capacitor - and I have
already ordered a similar one from a different source. Look like I
could so with replacing the carbon pile rheostat - but no-one seems to
sell those.

I wonder if there is an all electronic replacement.

Oh yes. Motors on these things are all pretty similar. A light dimmer
would probably work - badly.

Plenty of either same type of unit or electronic alternatives on Ebay

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

- Stephen Vizinczey

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 March 2020 22:49:53 UTC, John wrote:
Roger Mills wrote in
:

Thanks, but that 'kit' consists only of a capacitor - and I have
already ordered a similar one from a different source. Look like I
could so with replacing the carbon pile rheostat - but no-one seems to
sell those.

I wonder if there is an all electronic replacement.

The voltage spikes generated by that sort of motor would probably ruin an electronic device. An additional capacitor might fix the problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , alan_m
That sounds awfully crude to me, I'd have suspected something like a
drill speed control circuit. Brian

It probably depends on the age of the machine. The clue is in the
original post - the machine is 40 years old.

we did have transistors then.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur brought next idea :
Yes, it's a 'carbon pile rheostat' patented by Singer in 1949 - lots of
carbon discs in a tube and you lower the resistance by squeezing them
together. Google the phrase and there are some instructions on repairing
them.

I always had in mind to try to put together something better, like a
TRIAC control with speed feedback. On the rare occasions I have used
out machine, I found the sudden take off at speed awkward to control
and use. Someone must have tried such an improved design?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 March 2020 07:39:23 UTC, harry wrote:
On Friday, 6 March 2020 22:49:53 UTC, John wrote:
Roger Mills wrote in
:

Thanks, but that 'kit' consists only of a capacitor - and I have
already ordered a similar one from a different source. Look like I
could so with replacing the carbon pile rheostat - but no-one seems to
sell those.

I wonder if there is an all electronic replacement.

The voltage spikes generated by that sort of motor would probably ruin an electronic device. An additional capacitor might fix the problem.

Not sure how electronic that old a sewing machine would have?

This is a link to replacement controllers and how to select them:

https://www.uksewing.com/pages/singer-foot-control

My (limited) experience of Singers of that sort of era would lead me to consider replacement of the machine (unless it is something special). Partner traded in her old (non-Singer) machine for a very nice secondhand Bernina.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2020 10:31, charles wrote:
In article , alan_m
That sounds awfully crude to me, I'd have suspected something like a
drill speed control circuit. Brian

It probably depends on the age of the machine. The clue is in the
original post - the machine is 40 years old.

we did have transistors then.

1980? We did BUT mains level transistors were very expensive and even
triacs and SCRS were pretty dear.

The real power stuff - 400V MOSFET switches - didn't turn up till I was
out of that game in the late 80s.

And the intelligence to drive them reliably only got cheap in this century.

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 March 2020 10:40:08 UTC, wrote:
Clive Arthur brought next idea :

Yes, it's a 'carbon pile rheostat' patented by Singer in 1949 - lots of
carbon discs in a tube and you lower the resistance by squeezing them
together. Google the phrase and there are some instructions on repairing
them.

I always had in mind to try to put together something better, like a
TRIAC control with speed feedback. On the rare occasions I have used
out machine, I found the sudden take off at speed awkward to control
and use. Someone must have tried such an improved design?

Of course, modern Berninas use proper control. But budget machines just used a resistor. The main difference it makes is at very low speeds, where a decent control has pretty much perfect control.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 07/03/2020 10:31, charles wrote:
In article , alan_m
That sounds awfully crude to me, I'd have suspected something like a
drill speed control circuit. Brian

It probably depends on the age of the machine. The clue is in the
original post - the machine is 40 years old.

we did have transistors then.

1980? We did BUT mains level transistors were very expensive and even
triacs and SCRS were pretty dear.

Triacs were about £1 each. I built a 24 way dimmer rack in the mid 70s.

The real power stuff - 400V MOSFET switches - didn't turn up till I was
out of that game in the late 80s.

And the intelligence to drive them reliably only got cheap in this
century.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

In article , alan_m
That sounds awfully crude to me, I'd have suspected something like a
drill speed control circuit. Brian

It probably depends on the age of the machine. The clue is in the
original post - the machine is 40 years old.

we did have transistors then.

I suspect the pedal design is at least twice that age, probably
somewhere between 1910 and 1930. Quick googling doesn't really give an
answer, but electric Singer machines were first made in 1910 and must
have had some sort of speed control.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2020 10:31, charles wrote:
In article , alan_m
That sounds awfully crude to me, I'd have suspected something like a
drill speed control circuit. Brian

It probably depends on the age of the machine. The clue is in the
original post - the machine is 40 years old.

we did have transistors then.

1980? We did BUT mains level transistors were very expensive and even
triacs and SCRS were pretty dear.

The real power stuff - 400V MOSFET switches - didn't turn up till I was
out of that game in the late 80s.

And the intelligence to drive them reliably only got cheap in this
century.

That last is bull****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Mar 2020 06:10:37 +1100, turnipt ****er, better known as
cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

That last is bull****.

You and your entire "life" is nothing but bull****, you 86-year-old trolling
senile cretin!

--
Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2020 12:14, Roger Hayter wrote:

snip

I suspect the pedal design is at least twice that age, probably
somewhere between 1910 and 1930. Quick googling doesn't really give an
answer, but electric Singer machines were first made in 1910 and must
have had some sort of speed control.

The rheostat design was patented by Singer in 1949. My guess is they
continued to use them for years because they had a warehouse full.

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 March 2020 19:51:11 UTC, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 07/03/2020 12:14, Roger Hayter wrote:

snip

I suspect the pedal design is at least twice that age, probably
somewhere between 1910 and 1930. Quick googling doesn't really give an
answer, but electric Singer machines were first made in 1910 and must
have had some sort of speed control.

The rheostat design was patented by Singer in 1949.

it was in widespread use before then

My guess is they
continued to use them for years because they had a warehouse full.

you're a wit for sure

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Mar 2020 04:00:26 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

On Saturday, 7 March 2020 19:51:11 UTC, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 07/03/2020 12:14, Roger Hayter wrote:

snip

I suspect the pedal design is at least twice that age, probably
somewhere between 1910 and 1930. Quick googling doesn't really give
an answer, but electric Singer machines were first made in 1910 and
must have had some sort of speed control.

The rheostat design was patented by Singer in 1949.

it was in widespread use before then

My guess is they continued to use them for years because they had a
warehouse full.

you're a wit for sure

No, they had the market sewn up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 March 2020 13:32:25 UTC, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 08/03/2020 11:00, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 7 March 2020 19:51:11 UTC, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 07/03/2020 12:14, Roger Hayter wrote:

snip

I suspect the pedal design is at least twice that age, probably
somewhere between 1910 and 1930. Quick googling doesn't really give an
answer, but electric Singer machines were first made in 1910 and must
have had some sort of speed control.

The rheostat design was patented by Singer in 1949.

it was in widespread use before then

Yes, the patent was granted in 1945, not 1949 as I wrote, it's
specifically for controlling sewing machines. One of the claims
mentions an 'improved controller of the carbon disk compression type'
which means that the rheostat was already around.

It's a US patent US2371772A - the USPTO isn't very rigorous today, maybe
they were better then.

It's just the 'improvement' that was patented then. Resistive piles were in use in the 1800s, and wirewound blocks with a wiper arm were a more common sewing machine foot control option.

I'd expect far better performance from the wiper type than a carbon pile.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 March 2020 19:03:07 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

It's just the 'improvement' that was patented then. Resistive piles were
in use in the 1800s, and wirewound blocks with a wiper arm were a more

In the 1800s? Do you really mean in the period 1800 to 1810? Or did
you mean some time in the 19th century?

1800-1900

I wouldn't have thought there
was anything electric powered anywhere in the 1800 - 1810 period.

I believe there were frogs' legs, kites and pithballs.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I'd expect less durability and reliability.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Eager
writes
On Sun, 08 Mar 2020 04:00:26 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

On Saturday, 7 March 2020 19:51:11 UTC, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 07/03/2020 12:14, Roger Hayter wrote:

snip

I suspect the pedal design is at least twice that age, probably
somewhere between 1910 and 1930. Quick googling doesn't really give
an answer, but electric Singer machines were first made in 1910 and
must have had some sort of speed control.

The rheostat design was patented by Singer in 1949.

it was in widespread use before then

My guess is they continued to use them for years because they had a
warehouse full.

you're a wit for sure

No, they had the market sewn up.

This thread has just broken.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 March 2020 20:17:54 UTC, bert wrote:
In article , Bob Eager
writes
On Sun, 08 Mar 2020 04:00:26 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 7 March 2020 19:51:11 UTC, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 07/03/2020 12:14, Roger Hayter wrote:

I suspect the pedal design is at least twice that age, probably
somewhere between 1910 and 1930. Quick googling doesn't really give
an answer, but electric Singer machines were first made in 1910 and
must have had some sort of speed control.

The rheostat design was patented by Singer in 1949.

it was in widespread use before then

My guess is they continued to use them for years because they had a
warehouse full.

you're a wit for sure

No, they had the market sewn up.

This thread has just broken.

you finally cottoned on.

Singer 5522 sewing machine klem kedidelhopper Electronics Repair 4 June 6th 20 09:48 AM
Old Singer Sewing Machine - No Variable Speed [email protected] Electronics Repair 16 November 9th 14 04:39 PM
Singer Sewing Machine Company Davey UK diy 30 July 2nd 12 06:14 PM
Singer 513 "Stylist" sewing machine klem kedidelhopper Electronics Repair 10 January 26th 12 12:15 AM
Singer model 513 sewing machine problems [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 October 17th 09 11:35 PM