Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Capping Raditor Tails

Hi,

Have a badly sludged up radiator, want to take it outside for a good
flsuhing. Knowing that the filthy black water/sludge produces
imovable stains on anything it comes in contact with has any one got
a good way of capping the tails whilst I move it through the house?

Would a 1/2" male flanged plug screw with a bit of soft rubber in
side screw on and seal?

15 mm compression coupler with one end capped off? Bear in mind the
radiator valve might not move very far and get in the way.

Soft bung shoved in and hope I don't knock accidentally knock it out?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.screwfix.com/p/jg-speedf...m-2-pack/94176
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/jg-speedf...m-2-pack/94176

Doh! Realised it was a stupid suggestion 1 second after posting.

I normally just leave the lockshield valve and TRV in place on the pipe
ends and shut them off.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Feb 2020 17:20:39 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/jg-speedf...fit-stop-ends-
15mm-2-pack/94176

Doh! Realised it was a stupid suggestion 1 second after posting.

Leaving the valves on the rad and putting stop ends on the pipes
could work. The flow and return for the loop have lever ball valves
so I can seal that loop. Shut the lever valves and rad valves, take
the pipe out of one. There will be a bit of spillage but not much,
air can't get in so water can't get out. Cap that pipe. Take pipe out
of other valve and cap that one. Rad can now be moved with valves
shut.

I normally just leave the lockshield valve and TRV in place on the pipe
ends and shut them off.

Thats what I intend to do. It's the open ends of the radiator tails
that are then the problem. I *think* I've got that sorted and it's
not far away from this.

10 mins after I posted I had a ferret through my 15 mm fittings box
and found a compression stop end. The actual stop bit is 1/2" male
and the nut on the tail screws nicely on pulling it against the olive
on a tail. The stop is shaped to fit an olive so I'm hopeful one at
each end and finger tight or a gentle nip up will stop the crap
comimg out. If not a bit of blue roll wrapped around should contain
any seepage.

In some ways the first method is better as it avoids draining the rad
in stitu but without taking the valves off the rad they may get in
the way of a good flushing. I wonder how much will leak/glug out
whilst getting the rad nut off the valve pinging the valve out of the
way and getting the stop tightend up?

We shall see tomorrow... if it's not to windy and snowy to be outside
playing with cold water.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 19:23, Dave Liquorice wrote:
10 mins after I posted I had a ferret through my 15 mm fittings

They can wriggle through the tiniest of orifices can't they?

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 05:59:07 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

10 mins after I posted I had a ferret through my 15 mm fittings

They can wriggle through the tiniest of orifices can't they?

Not sure about ferrets, mice can get through 6 to 7 mm, shrews even
less (they escape from mouse cages as if there was nothing there).

My idea of using the stops from 15mm stop ends didn't work. The rads
are old, tails are 3/4" (yes 3/4", not 22 mm). "Drain Easy" rubber
bung time and yes one did get knocked and leak fortunately onto bare
concrete.

And what did I say about "not too windy or snowy"? Just as I taking
the radiator out to flush up got the wind and down came the snow.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/allsorts-60/49564707742

The blurred faint white lines are snow flakes, 1/122nd exposure so
going some...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 10:21:03 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Hi,

Have a badly sludged up radiator, want to take it outside for a good
flsuhing. Knowing that the filthy black water/sludge produces
imovable stains on anything it comes in contact with has any one got
a good way of capping the tails whilst I move it through the house?

Turn it upside down?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi,

Have a badly sludged up radiator, want to take it outside for a good
flsuhing. Knowing that the filthy black water/sludge produces
imovable stains on anything it comes in contact with has any one got
a good way of capping the tails whilst I move it through the house?

Turn it upside down?

Cheers, T i m

+1

Don't attemmpt it on your own. Always better to have an assistant
when moving heavy rads that might leak black stuff.

Getting the rad off the wall clips, while not spilling any gunge
is the tricky bit. Those black plastic cook-chill food trays
are invaluable for catching spills.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 10:37, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 10:21:03 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"

Have a badly sludged up radiator, want to take it outside for a good
flsuhing. Knowing that the filthy black water/sludge produces
imovable stains on anything it comes in contact with has any one got
a good way of capping the tails whilst I move it through the house?

Turn it upside down?

That's what I'd be doing.
With a finger pressed over each end and all the doors already opened for
a clear route through the house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/02/2020 10:48, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 19/02/2020 10:37, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 10:21:03 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"

Have a badly sludged up radiator, want to take it outside for a good
flsuhing. Knowing that the filthy black water/sludge produces
imovable stains on anything it comes in contact with has any one got
a good way of capping the tails whilst I move it through the house?

Turn it upside down?

That's what I'd be doing.
With a finger pressed over each end and all the doors already opened for
a clear route through the house.

You know the dog/cat will appear from nowhere to try and trip you up

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 18:14:00 +0000, ARW wrote:

Have a badly sludged up radiator, want to take it outside for a

good
flsuhing. Knowing that the filthy black water/sludge produces
imovable stains on anything it comes in contact with has any one

got
a good way of capping the tails whilst I move it through the

house?

Turn it upside down?

That's what I'd be doing.
With a finger pressed over each end ...

Not sure I can have a finger over each end of a 1.5 x 0.5 m double
panel (un-fined) radiator, lift it, turn it and then caryy it. The
dolly will be ready...

You know the dog/cat will appear from nowhere to try and trip you up

Now that would be sods law as we have neither. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/02/2020 18:56, Dave Liquorice wrote:

You know the dog/cat will appear from nowhere to try and trip you up

Now that would be sods law as we have neither. B-)

It'll be the ferret then;-)?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 10:21, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Hi,

Have a badly sludged up radiator, want to take it outside for a good
flsuhing. Knowing that the filthy black water/sludge produces
imovable stains on anything it comes in contact with has any one got
a good way of capping the tails whilst I move it through the house?

Would a 1/2" male flanged plug screw with a bit of soft rubber in
side screw on and seal?

15 mm compression coupler with one end capped off? Bear in mind the
radiator valve might not move very far and get in the way.

Soft bung shoved in and hope I don't knock accidentally knock it out?

I've found the water to be relatively clean when just undoing the
connections. It only when you take the radiator off the wall and tip it
that the sludge starts moving.

Rubber sheet (bicycle/car tyre inner-tube) fastened with a cable tie?
Pull the cable tie tright with a pair of pliers.
Irrespective - newspaper and old towels around the pipes when you undo them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Hi,

Have a badly sludged up radiator, want to take it outside for a good
flsuhing. Knowing that the filthy black water/sludge produces
imovable stains on anything it comes in contact with has any one got
a good way of capping the tails whilst I move it through the house?

Would a 1/2" male flanged plug screw with a bit of soft rubber in
side screw on and seal?

15 mm compression coupler with one end capped off? Bear in mind the
radiator valve might not move very far and get in the way.

Soft bung shoved in and hope I don't knock accidentally knock it out?

You can get 15mm caps in Toolstation etc which would be less deep than a
compression fitting. Discovered they fit my car rad, and rather nicer than
the plastic ones.

And use inhibitor in future. ;-)

--
*I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 11:15:46 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

And use inhibitor in future. ;-)

Historic.

The older parts of the system were installed with 3/4" copper in the
early 80's. Found out about 3/4" and 22mm the hard way... I doubt the
system had any proper maintenace or inhibitor for the first 20 odd
years of it's life.

All the old down stairs rads are feed from above and don't have drain
cocks... This sludged up one is the first down stairs rad on that
loop, so I expect like the first rad on a loop traps any air this one
traps the crud.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 10:21, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Hi,

Have a badly sludged up radiator, want to take it outside for a good
flsuhing. Knowing that the filthy black water/sludge produces
imovable stains on anything it comes in contact with has any one got
a good way of capping the tails whilst I move it through the house?

Would a 1/2" male flanged plug screw with a bit of soft rubber in
side screw on and seal?

15 mm compression coupler with one end capped off? Bear in mind the
radiator valve might not move very far and get in the way.

Soft bung shoved in and hope I don't knock accidentally knock it out?

condom over the end and strong rubber bands

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Soft bung shoved in and hope I don't knock accidentally knock it out?

Soft bung, plus bolt and bits to make it expand?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085PBJNE

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 10:21, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Hi,

Have a badly sludged up radiator, want to take it outside for a good
flsuhing. Knowing that the filthy black water/sludge produces
imovable stains on anything it comes in contact with has any one got
a good way of capping the tails whilst I move it through the house?

Would a 1/2" male flanged plug screw with a bit of soft rubber in
side screw on and seal?

15 mm compression coupler with one end capped off? Bear in mind the
radiator valve might not move very far and get in the way.

Soft bung shoved in and hope I don't knock accidentally knock it out?

I got away with sticking fingers over the inlet and outlet.......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2020 12:47, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 19/02/2020 10:21, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Hi,

Have a badly sludged up radiator, want to take it outside for a good
flsuhing. Knowing that the filthy black water/sludge produces
imovable stains on anything it comes in contact with has any one got
a good way of capping the tails whilst I move it through the house?

Would a 1/2" male flanged plug screw with a bit of soft rubber in
side screw on and seal?

15 mm compression coupler with one end capped off? Bear in mind the
radiator valve might not move very far and get in the way.

Soft bung shoved in and hope I don't knock accidentally knock it out?

I got away with sticking fingers over the inlet and outlet.......

or was it palm of hands ? ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 19 February 2020 12:47:46 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 19/02/2020 12:47, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 19/02/2020 10:21, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Hi,

Have a badly sludged up radiator, want to take it outside for a good
flsuhing. Knowing that the filthy black water/sludge produces
imovable stains on anything it comes in contact with has any one got
a good way of capping the tails whilst I move it through the house?

Would a 1/2" male flanged plug screw with a bit of soft rubber in
side screw on and seal?

15 mm compression coupler with one end capped off? Bear in mind the
radiator valve might not move very far and get in the way.

Soft bung shoved in and hope I don't knock accidentally knock it out?

I got away with sticking fingers over the inlet and outlet.......

or was it palm of hands ? ....

you can do that if you're not preoccupied with trying to hold it up & move it, but I still wouldn't. If you bump a rad into something with your hand in the way you're not going to enjoy the outcome.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 19/02/2020 10:21, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Hi,

Have a badly sludged up radiator, want to take it outside for a good
flsuhing. Knowing that the filthy black water/sludge produces
imovable stains on anything it comes in contact with has any one got
a good way of capping the tails whilst I move it through the house?

Would a 1/2" male flanged plug screw with a bit of soft rubber in
side screw on and seal?

15 mm compression coupler with one end capped off? Bear in mind the
radiator valve might not move very far and get in the way.

Soft bung shoved in and hope I don't knock accidentally knock it out?

I got away with sticking fingers over the inlet and outlet.......

But tricky having all the doors to the backyard open and
ensuring that you dont trip over the chihuahua or the cat tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:11 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER TWO HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 04:11:29 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

04:11??? Yet again? Idiot! LOL

cretin from Oz:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 12:47:08 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

I got away with sticking fingers over the inlet and outlet.......

This radiator is 1.5 m long. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi,

Have a badly sludged up radiator, want to take it outside for a good
flsuhing. Knowing that the filthy black water/sludge produces
imovable stains on anything it comes in contact with has any one got
a good way of capping the tails whilst I move it through the house?

Would a 1/2" male flanged plug screw with a bit of soft rubber in
side screw on and seal?

15 mm compression coupler with one end capped off? Bear in mind the
radiator valve might not move very far and get in the way.

Soft bung shoved in and hope I don't knock accidentally knock it out?

slip a bit of polythene (plastic bag etc) between the valve and the
tail, then tie it around the tail with a bit of string (or cable tie
if you want to be posh). Repeat at other end.