Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default what to use to hold bath MDF side panel on?

On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 11:12:41 PM UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
jkn wrote:

My previous attempts
to fashion a removable fastening have been less that satisfactory, and I'm looking
for an alternative.

Either stronger magnets, or https://button-fix.com

Took me a while, but I finally got around to it...

I ended up taking up Andy Burns' suggestion, and using (Type 2) Button-fix
fittings. Here follows a brief report.

They are quite well made but in this particular instance a bit fiddly to use.
The main downsides:
- Some of the framing parts I was attaching the 'button' to flexed a bit; this
meant that the clip wouldn't properly lock. I ended up having to reinforce
the frame a bit. Not the fixings fault, but a bit annoying.
- You have to be pretty accurate when drilling the holes for the brackets; they
do have a decent strength and obvious 'snap' but the downside of this is that
there is little room for play. Even with the marking pieces (pretty essential
in most cases, I'd have thought) I had to have a couple of goes.

Would I use them again? probably ... but I would bear in mind these aspects.

Thanks for the suggestions in any case

J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jkn wrote:

using (Type 2) Button-fix fittings.
You have to be pretty accurate when drilling the holes for the brackets;

AFAIK, they do sell a tool to mark the position of the second part
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at 12:05:22 AM UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
jkn wrote:

using (Type 2) Button-fix fittings.
You have to be pretty accurate when drilling the holes for the brackets;

AFAIK, they do sell a tool to mark the position of the second part

Yeah, even with that. Mainly because with a large area such as a bath panel,
it is hard to hold it in a predefined place whilst you are trying to press
against the marking pins.