Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sacrifice

I was trying to think of all the sacrificial things. Sacrificial anodes
on ships, yes. But... how about the face of a wooden mallet? Because the
reason it's wood is because steel would be too hard. Because the wood is
softer it's more likely to get damaged. Stretching a point? A wooden
gramophone needle, which wears out quickly but doesn't damage the
shellac? Can anyone think of sacrificial things?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote

I was trying to think of all the sacrificial things. Sacrificial anodes
on ships, yes. But... how about the face of a wooden mallet?
Because the reason it's wood is because steel would be too hard.
Because the wood is softer it's more likely to get damaged.

Stretching a point?

Yep, particularly with plastic headed mallets etc.

A wooden gramophone needle, which wears
out quickly but doesn't damage the shellac?

Lots of stuff wears out, like car tyres.

Can anyone think of sacrificial things?

Human sacrifice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

I was trying to think of all the sacrificial things. Sacrificial anodes
on ships, yes. But... how about the face of a wooden mallet? Because the
reason it's wood is because steel would be too hard. Because the wood is
softer it's more likely to get damaged. Stretching a point? A wooden
gramophone needle, which wears out quickly but doesn't damage the
shellac? Can anyone think of sacrificial things?

Bill

Brake pads; modern brake discs.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 January 2020 02:47:30 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
I was trying to think of all the sacrificial things. Sacrificial anodes
on ships, yes. But... how about the face of a wooden mallet? Because the
reason it's wood is because steel would be too hard. Because the wood is
softer it's more likely to get damaged. Stretching a point? A wooden
gramophone needle, which wears out quickly but doesn't damage the
shellac? Can anyone think of sacrificial things?

Bill

Aluminium anode and hot water cylinder/immersion heater.

You could argue that a lot of paint (varnish, etc.) is also sacrificial in terms of function, even if it also adds aesthetic benefits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google Wrote in message:
On Friday, 17 January 2020 02:47:30 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
I was trying to think of all the sacrificial things. Sacrificial anodes
on ships, yes. But... how about the face of a wooden mallet? Because the
reason it's wood is because steel would be too hard. Because the wood is
softer it's more likely to get damaged. Stretching a point? A wooden
gramophone needle, which wears out quickly but doesn't damage the
shellac? Can anyone think of sacrificial things?

Bill

Aluminium anode and hot water cylinder/immersion heater.

You could argue that a lot of paint (varnish, etc.) is also sacrificial in terms of function, even if it also adds aesthetic benefits.

Toes stop your feet fraying.
--
__
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 14:21:09 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Lots of stuff wears out, like car tyres.

Not forgetting your senile head, senile ****head!

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

I was trying to think of all the sacrificial things. Sacrificial anodes
on ships, yes. But... how about the face of a wooden mallet? Because the
reason it's wood is because steel would be too hard. Because the wood is
softer it's more likely to get damaged. Stretching a point? A wooden
gramophone needle, which wears out quickly but doesn't damage the
shellac? Can anyone think of sacrificial things?

Bill

Brake pads; modern brake discs.

Galvanising

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
I was trying to think of all the sacrificial things. Sacrificial anodes on ships, yes.
But... how about the face of a wooden mallet? Because the reason it's wood is because
steel would be too hard. Because the wood is softer it's more likely to get damaged.
Stretching a point? A wooden gramophone needle, which wears out quickly but doesn't
damage the shellac? Can anyone think of sacrificial things?

Bill

Nearly all consumer goods apart from consumable, to include software
which incorporate built in obsolescence so as to persuade consumers
to purchase new improved or redesigned models or versions every few years
thus allowing manufacturers to stay in business servicing a saturated
market.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm sure we have all heard of the sacrificial lamb, but I don't think that
is what Bill means.

How about those shotgun cartridges in some seat belts that go bang and lock
the belt. I was in a vehicle when one of those went off.
Then there are air bags in cars, You wont get them back in for a second use
will you? Other parts of a car that crumple to avoid passing on the energy
to the occupants. Lower stages of conventional rockets that are not
retrieved. Heat shields on the capsules.

Spray booth paiint that you can just peel off and re apply.

Vacuum cleaner bags?
Candle wax on candles.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Bill Wright wrote
I was trying to think of all the sacrificial things. Sacrificial anodes
on ships, yes. But... how about the face of a wooden mallet? Because the
reason it's wood is because steel would be too hard. Because the wood is
softer it's more likely to get damaged.

Stretching a point?

Yep, particularly with plastic headed mallets etc.
A wooden gramophone needle, which wears out quickly but doesn't damage
the shellac?

Lots of stuff wears out, like car tyres.
Can anyone think of sacrificial things?

Human sacrifice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Marbles" Brian, swept up at the end, not smeared on the track

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)" Wrote in message:
Judging by the number of tyre changes grand prix cars need its surprising
the circuits are not made of rubber by now.
Brian

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 January 2020 09:40:53 UTC, michael adams wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
I was trying to think of all the sacrificial things. Sacrificial anodes on ships, yes.
But... how about the face of a wooden mallet? Because the reason it's wood is because
steel would be too hard. Because the wood is softer it's more likely to get damaged.
Stretching a point? A wooden gramophone needle, which wears out quickly but doesn't
damage the shellac? Can anyone think of sacrificial things?

Bill

Nearly all consumer goods apart from consumable, to include software
which incorporate built in obsolescence so as to persuade consumers
to purchase new improved or redesigned models or versions every few years
thus allowing manufacturers to stay in business servicing a saturated
market.

michael adams

On the other hand, some of us take apart Dyson DC59 motorised heads and make them both work properly again and look nice and clean.

Such things should be as easy to take apart as Lego, maybe even Duplo, and not require two different Torx bits. On grounds of hygiene alone, that should be mandated. Let alone avoiding scrapping otherwise perfectly functional machines.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 January 2020 02:47:30 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
I was trying to think of all the sacrificial things. Sacrificial anodes
on ships, yes. But... how about the face of a wooden mallet? Because the
reason it's wood is because steel would be too hard. Because the wood is
softer it's more likely to get damaged. Stretching a point? A wooden
gramophone needle, which wears out quickly but doesn't damage the
shellac? Can anyone think of sacrificial things?

Bill

gram needles were often thorns.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
I was trying to think of all the sacrificial things. Sacrificial anodes on ships, yes. But... how about the face of a wooden mallet? Because the reason it's wood is because steel would be too hard. Because the wood is softer it's more likely to get damaged. Stretching a point? A wooden gramophone needle, which wears out quickly but doesn't damage the shellac? Can anyone think of sacrificial things?

Bill

Daughters?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Friday, 17 January 2020 02:47:30 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
I was trying to think of all the sacrificial things. Sacrificial anodes
on ships, yes. But... how about the face of a wooden mallet? Because the
reason it's wood is because steel would be too hard. Because the wood is
softer it's more likely to get damaged. Stretching a point? A wooden
gramophone needle, which wears out quickly but doesn't damage the
shellac? Can anyone think of sacrificial things?

gram needles were often thorns.

Well I never knew that. How did they attach the thorn to the sensing device
(diaphragm of mechanical horn, moving iron in coil, or piezo crystal)
sufficiently firmly that no frequencies were attenuated by the flexibility
of the thorn and of the thorn-to-sensor joint and yet which allowed the
thorn to be replaced quickly and easily whenever it wore down?

Interesting that "modern" (well, before LPs were supplanted by CDs etc) was
the exact opposite philosophy: stylus made of diamond which is extremely
hard, and which could theoretically damage the vinyl record.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 January 2020 02:47:30 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
I was trying to think of all the sacrificial things. Sacrificial anodes
on ships, yes. But... how about the face of a wooden mallet? Because the
reason it's wood is because steel would be too hard. Because the wood is
softer it's more likely to get damaged. Stretching a point? A wooden
gramophone needle, which wears out quickly but doesn't damage the
shellac? Can anyone think of sacrificial things?

Bill

Guinea pigs, apprentacies and students :-)

And accrding to Brian Cox last night perhaps even the universe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2020 12:29, Agamemnon wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
I was trying to think of all the sacrificial things. Sacrificial
anodes on ships, yes. But... how about the face of a wooden mallet?
Because the reason it's wood is because steel would be too hard.
Because the wood is softer it's more likely to get damaged. Stretching
a point? A wooden gramophone needle, which wears out quickly but
doesn't damage the shellac? Can anyone think of sacrificial things?

Bill

Daughters?

labour party supporters

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2020 15:41, Jethro_uk wrote:

As this threads development shows, there's a distinction to be made
between "consumables" and "sacrificials" ?

Yes, a lot of people has misunderstood. 'Sacrificial' means that the
item is lost, damaged, eroded, etc IN ORDER TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO
SOMETHING ELSE.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2020 10:20, Jimk wrote:

"Marbles" Brian, swept up at the end, not smeared on the track

On a drag race track most of it seems to be left on the track. Walk the
track at the end of a meeting with certain types of rubber or plastic
soles on your shoes and you will stick to the track quite firmly!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 02:47:28 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

I was trying to think of all the sacrificial things. Sacrificial anodes
on ships, yes. But... how about the face of a wooden mallet? Because the
reason it's wood is because steel would be too hard. Because the wood is
softer it's more likely to get damaged. Stretching a point? A wooden
gramophone needle, which wears out quickly but doesn't damage the
shellac? Can anyone think of sacrificial things?

Bill

As this threads development shows, there's a distinction to be made
between "consumables" and "sacrificials" ?

BBQ size children can be both - fun size bites of food sacrificed over a
fire to appease vegans.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2020 02:47, Bill Wright wrote:
I was trying to think of all the sacrificial things. Sacrificial anodes
on ships, yes. But... how about the face of a wooden mallet? Because the
reason it's wood is because steel would be too hard. Because the wood is
softer it's more likely to get damaged. Stretching a point? A wooden
gramophone needle, which wears out quickly but doesn't damage the
shellac? Can anyone think of sacrificial things?

Bill

Not quite sacrificial but white metal bearing linings are used for two
reasons, firstly they melt without damaging the shaft if they lose the
oil supply, secondly large abrasive particulate in the oil embeds deeply
enough *not* to make it become a lap.

Tip: this does not apply to bronze bushes running (lubricated) on
hardened steel shafts. A colleague once thought it might be a good idea
to polish some car internals with (snaffled) diamond paste. Evidently he
did not clean it sufficiently well, because there was enough in the
system to turn the bronze camshaft bushes into laps, which wore out the
camshaft bearing sites in a few thousand miles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)" wrote in message
I'm sure we have all heard of the sacrificial lamb, but I don't think that
is what Bill means.

How about those shotgun cartridges in some seat belts that go bang and
lock the belt. I was in a vehicle when one of those went off.
Then there are air bags in cars, You wont get them back in for a second
use will you? Other parts of a car that crumple to avoid passing on the
energy to the occupants. Lower stages of conventional rockets that are not
retrieved. Heat shields on the capsules.

Spray booth paiint that you can just peel off and re apply.

Vacuum cleaner bags?

Candle wax on candles.

Those last few are more consumables.

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Bill Wright wrote
I was trying to think of all the sacrificial things. Sacrificial anodes
on ships, yes. But... how about the face of a wooden mallet? Because the
reason it's wood is because steel would be too hard. Because the wood is
softer it's more likely to get damaged.

Stretching a point?

Yep, particularly with plastic headed mallets etc.
A wooden gramophone needle, which wears out quickly but doesn't damage
the shellac?

Lots of stuff wears out, like car tyres.
Can anyone think of sacrificial things?

Human sacrifice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, no, because consumables are things that run out, not things that are
destroyed during use. Toner and ink are consumables, since they have an
effect ie printing.
Rechargeable batteries are kind of sacrificial as they do kind of give up
like dry cells.
I suppose in this case tyres soles of shoes are also sacrificial.
However hay is not as it creates something else when its eaten.
Brian

--
----- --

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)" wrote in message
I'm sure we have all heard of the sacrificial lamb, but I don't think
that is what Bill means.

How about those shotgun cartridges in some seat belts that go bang and
lock the belt. I was in a vehicle when one of those went off.
Then there are air bags in cars, You wont get them back in for a second
use will you? Other parts of a car that crumple to avoid passing on the
energy to the occupants. Lower stages of conventional rockets that are
not retrieved. Heat shields on the capsules.

Spray booth paiint that you can just peel off and re apply.

Vacuum cleaner bags?

Candle wax on candles.

Those last few are more consumables.

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Bill Wright wrote
I was trying to think of all the sacrificial things. Sacrificial anodes
on ships, yes. But... how about the face of a wooden mallet? Because
the reason it's wood is because steel would be too hard. Because the
wood is softer it's more likely to get damaged.

Stretching a point?

Yep, particularly with plastic headed mallets etc.
A wooden gramophone needle, which wears out quickly but doesn't damage
the shellac?

Lots of stuff wears out, like car tyres.
Can anyone think of sacrificial things?

Human sacrifice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Your money, when Mrs is shopping in the sales :-)

Andrew

Most batteries. grin.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Agamemnon wrote
Bill Wright wrote

I was trying to think of all the sacrificial things.
Sacrificial anodes on ships, yes. But... how about
the face of a wooden mallet? Because the reason
it's wood is because steel would be too hard.
Because the wood is softer it's more likely to
get damaged. Stretching a point? A wooden
gramophone needle, which wears out quickly
but doesn't damage the shellac? Can anyone
think of sacrificial things?

Daughters?

Kids for the central americans, human sacrifice.

Handy when there is a drought or just to ensure
that the sun come up again tomorrow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2020 16:01, Bill Wright wrote:
On 17/01/2020 15:41, Jethro_uk wrote:

As this threads development shows, there's a distinction to be made
between "consumables" and "sacrificials" ?

Yes, a lot of people has misunderstood. 'Sacrificial' means that the
item is lost, damaged, eroded, etc IN ORDER TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO
SOMETHING ELSE.

Bill

In that case, all that infernal single-use plastic film that seems
to surround almost everything these days, to 'protect it'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes but, the problem with 78s was that they were by nature abrasive. Thus
they used steel needles which only wore out, but also did damage the grooves
as they did so due to the poor compliance in an acoustic diagram and horn
system. You are moving a lot of air with a small area. It was only with the
advent of electronic amplification that you could allow the compliance to
drop low enough to let you use softer plastics to made the record. Some very
late 78s, notably those by The Beatles issued in India were made of
something like Vinyl.
Brian

--
----- --

"NY" wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:46 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 03:46:15 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole sick troll**** again

03:46??? Yet AGAIN? And you do it EVERY NIGHT, ALL NIGHT LONG, you
clinically insane senile pest! LOL

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes like the heat shield on the Apollo capsule, which ablated to take the
heat of re entry away. It gets more blurred when you look at the candle.
Some candles burn the impregnated wicks and the melting of the wax is
sacrificial as its only purpose is to hold the wick atop the rest of the
wick, so has to melt to achieve this. However I came across some candles
where the actual wax as it melts releases a substance that makes the candle
aromatic.
Brian

--
----- --