Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default H13 Bulbs ....

ordered two H13 (9008) 60/55W WHITE XENON HEADLIGHT BULBS and they came
today....but high beam is low beam and low beam is high beam....any
ideas why??.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 18:43, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
ordered two H13 (9008) 60/55W WHITE XENON HEADLIGHT BULBS and they came
today....but high beam is low beam and low beam is high beam....any
ideas why??.....

should I have orderd ones that said 50/60w ??????
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 18:43:34 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

ordered two H13 (9008) 60/55W WHITE XENON HEADLIGHT BULBS and they came
today....but high beam is low beam and low beam is high beam....any
ideas why??.....

The connector looks polarised and I'd be surprised if you could fit
them upside down. So without forcing one or the other I guess the new
bulbs are miss wired. Are they cheapy unknowns? Assuming only one
filament is bust compare continuity between old and new.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 20:52, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 18:43:34 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

ordered two H13 (9008) 60/55W WHITE XENON HEADLIGHT BULBS and they came
today....but high beam is low beam and low beam is high beam....any
ideas why??.....

The connector looks polarised and I'd be surprised if you could fit
them upside down. So without forcing one or the other I guess the new
bulbs are miss wired. Are they cheapy unknowns? Assuming only one
filament is bust compare continuity between old and new.

that is what I thought...probably cheap rubbish...will do that test and
try others....one that came out was a Philips H13 60/55w .....filaments
look the same as well...so internal wiring? ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-H13-90...53.m2749.l2649
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Assuming only one
filament is bust compare continuity between old and new.

there is nothing wrong with the Philips bulbs that came with it ...I
just thought I should have spares in the boot....glad I tested them ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 21:00, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/01/2020 20:52, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 18:43:34 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

ordered two H13 (9008) 60/55W WHITE XENON HEADLIGHT BULBS and they came
today....but high beam is low beam and low beam is high beam....any
ideas why??.....

The connector looks polarised and I'd be surprised if you could fit
them upside down. So without forcing one or the other I guess the new
bulbs are miss wired. Are they cheapy unknowns? Assuming only one
filament is bust compare continuity between old and new.

that is what I thought...probably cheap rubbish...will do that test and
try others....one that came out was a Philips H13 60/55w .....filaments
look the same as well...so internal wiring? ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-H13-90...53.m2749.l2649

oh dear...just read their neg feedback ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You would think that something as fundamental as wiring the base the right
way around might just be a little obvious before they sent them to anybody.
On the other hand maybe you car is upside down.
Brian

don't see how in this day and age they could be wire the wrong way
around...but the seller has very bad negative feedback on the bulbs he
sells so who knows he is probably selling rubbish....we will see what
his answer will be....no the car is not upside down and the connector to
the bulb only fits one way and the bulb only fits one way into the
headlight unit...so it must be the bulb....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
You would think that something as fundamental as wiring the base the right
way around might just be a little obvious before they sent them to anybody.
On the other hand maybe you car is upside down.
Brian

don't see how in this day and age they could be wire the wrong way
around...but the seller has very bad negative feedback on the bulbs he
sells so who knows he is probably selling rubbish....we will see what
his answer will be....no the car is not upside down and the connector to
the bulb only fits one way and the bulb only fits one way into the
headlight unit...so it must be the bulb....

Why didnt you check the feedback before ordering?

BTW, it isnt the wattage which determines the hi/lo beam. It is the
position of the light source/ geometry of the light assembly. Your eyes
almost certainly wouldnt see the difference in intensity between a 55w and
60w bulb- they have a log response to intensity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2020 09:30, Brian Reay wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

couldn't be bothered checking feedback 'till after the event...got a
reply this morning don't think they know anything about cars......"Hi,
sorry to hear that. How strange, I've not come across this before. Have
you tried putting them in the other way round please?
Kind regards
Sam"...........must be a wummin' .....the connector to the bulb only
goes on one way and the bulb only fits the headlight unit one way
........yes in a reflector type headlight unit the dual filament bulb
like the H13 it is the position of the filament that gives the high low
beam so I was getting low beam when the high beam warning light is on
and vice versa ... .....anyway just put the original Philips bulbs back
in and all is fine....got another set coming from china so we will see
if they are OK.....only bought them as spares so thank god I checked
them out .....the filaments look the same in both sets of bulbs and are
positioned the same way so I can only assume the wiring from the pins to
the filaments is around the wrong way....unbelievable......not that you
ever believe anything I say ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2020 09:30, Brian Reay wrote:

snipped

BTW, it isnt the wattage which determines the hi/lo beam. It is the
position of the light source/ geometry of the light assembly. Your eyes
almost certainly wouldnt see the difference in intensity between a 55w and
60w bulb- they have a log response to intensity.

In a headlight, the main beam filament is the same thickness as the dip
except that it's a little shorter, and this reduction in length hence
resistance accounts for the increased power.

The benefit of this is that the light is both brighter and whiter, the
downside is a shorter life, but of course main is used less than dip.
The relative lifetime is something like a twelfth power, so it's very
approximately something like a third of the lifetime.

There is a clear visible difference, not because of the extra power as
such, but because of the extra efficiency and 'whiteness'.

Like OHP lamps, overrun for increased brightness but shortened life,
hence why OHPs often have a spare bulb ready. Or would do if it had
been replaced.

And that's why old torch bulbs had odd voltages like 2.4V when using 3V
of battery - 2.4V corresponds to the IIRC 1000 hour life, but that's
traded for brightness and efficiency.

Indicator bulbs and brake lights are similarly overrun as their
operation is intermittent.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

I'm surprised the supplier didn't try to sell you a plug-in "converter"
between the connector and the bulb, to correct the incorrect pin-to-filament
wiring in the bulb ;-)

How much tolerance is there in bulb position in a typical headlight, and how
much would it affect beam position? Many modern cars have very little
clearance between the rear of the reflector and engine mountings etc, so
fitting a bulb and securing it with the spring clip on the housing is
something that can only be done by feel rather than sight. I've often
wondered whether the bulb is properly seated, since I can't *see* whether it
is, and whether any mis-seating (eg if one of the location tabs on the bulb
is not flush with the housing) will affect beam alighnment.

I suppose the wiring error could have been worse: if they'd swapped the
common pin with another, you might have ended up with one dipped or beam
setting where the two filaments were in series and you got a very dim light
;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2020 11:49, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 16/01/2020 09:30, Brian Reay wrote:

snipped

BTW, it isnt the wattage which determines the hi/lo beam. It is the
position of the light source/ geometry of the light assembly.Â* Your eyes
almost certainly wouldnt see the difference in intensity between a
55w and
60w bulb- they have a log response to intensity.

In a headlight, the main beam filament is the same thickness as the dip
except that it's a little shorter, and this reduction in length hence
resistance accounts for the increased power.

The benefit of this is that the light is both brighter and whiter, the
downside is a shorter life, but of course main is used less than dip.
The relative lifetime is something like a twelfth power, so it's very
approximately something like a third of the lifetime.

There is a clear visible difference, not because of the extra power as
such, but because of the extra efficiency and 'whiteness'.

Like OHP lamps, overrun for increased brightness but shortened life,
hence why OHPs often have a spare bulb ready.Â* Or would do if it had
been replaced.

And that's why old torch bulbs had odd voltages like 2.4V when using 3V
of battery - 2.4V corresponds to the IIRC 1000 hour life, but that's
traded for brightness and efficiency.

Indicator bulbs and brake lights are similarly overrun as their
operation is intermittent.

Cheers

interesting...thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2020 11:50, NY wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

H13 is just pop it in and turn 90deg no spring clip....looking at the
sellers neg feedback for the rubbish leds he sells I'm just glad I
didn't have a fire and a melted headlight unit....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

H13 is just pop it in and turn 90deg no spring clip....looking at the
sellers neg feedback for the rubbish leds he sells I'm just glad I
didn't have a fire and a melted headlight unit....

Will it fit in in two orientations 180 degrees apart? If so, youve just
inserted it upside down.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2020 13:04, Tim+ wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

H13 is just pop it in and turn 90deg no spring clip....looking at the
sellers neg feedback for the rubbish leds he sells I'm just glad I
didn't have a fire and a melted headlight unit....

Will it fit in in two orientations 180 degrees apart? If so, youve just
inserted it upside down.

Tim

can't happen..anyway if it was upside down the dipped beam would be
"above" full beam shirley ? ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-H13-90...53.m2749.l2649

oh dear...just read their neg feedback ....

No surprise given Xenon normally refers to HID lamps - not the gas used in
a tungsten-halogen. So they are setting out to deceive the naive.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-H13-90...53.m2749.l2649

oh dear...just read their neg feedback ....

No surprise given Xenon normally refers to HID lamps - not the gas used in
a tungsten-halogen. So they are setting out to deceive the naive.

says it if filled with Xenon but only says halogen on the boxes...so
another con..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2020 17:30, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-H13-90...53.m2749.l2649

oh dear...just read their neg feedback ....

No surprise given Xenon normally refers to HID lamps - not the gas
used in
a tungsten-halogen. So they are setting out to deceive the naive.

says it if filled with Xenon but only says halogen on the boxes...so
another con..

Oh well at least they have admitted they are crap and are
refunding.....anybody want a set of upside down bulbs? .....

"Hi
I am sorry about the issues, would you rather be refunded then please,
no need to return?
Kind regards
Sharon"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 21:06:55, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/01/2020 21:00, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/01/2020 20:52, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 18:43:34 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

ordered two H13 (9008) 60/55W WHITE XENON HEADLIGHT BULBS and they came
today....but high beam is low beam and low beam is high beam....any
ideas why??.....

The connector looks polarised and I'd be surprised if you could fit
them upside down. So without forcing one or the other I guess the new
bulbs are miss wired. Are they cheapy unknowns? Assuming only one
filament is bust compare continuity between old and new.

that is what I thought...probably cheap rubbish...will do that test
and try others....one that came out was a Philips H13 60/55w
.....filaments look the same as well...so internal wiring? ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-H13-90...53.m2749.l2649

oh dear...just read their neg feedback ....

Yes, of those who entered feedback less than 1% in the last month posted
negative feedback.

That is far better than the average bargain basement seller.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

On 15/01/2020 21:06:55, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/01/2020 21:00, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/01/2020 20:52, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 18:43:34 +0000, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

ordered two H13 (9008) 60/55W WHITE XENON HEADLIGHT BULBS and they came
today....but high beam is low beam and low beam is high beam....any
ideas why??.....

The connector looks polarised and I'd be surprised if you could fit
them upside down. So without forcing one or the other I guess the new
bulbs are miss wired. Are they cheapy unknowns? Assuming only one
filament is bust compare continuity between old and new.

that is what I thought...probably cheap rubbish...will do that test
and try others....one that came out was a Philips H13 60/55w
.....filaments look the same as well...so internal wiring? ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-H13-90...HEADLIGHT-BULB
S-12V/380548268173?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2060353.m2749.
l2649

oh dear...just read their neg feedback ....

Yes, of those who entered feedback less than 1% in the last month posted
negative feedback.

That is far better than the average bargain basement seller.

But far worse than most large sellers who deal well with complaints
achieve.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2020 08:20, Roger Hayter wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

[...]

well if I get the refund I won't be leaving neg feedback......this would
never happen to brian .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

just got a set direct from chinky lad....perfect high and low beam
.....but instead of 60/55w thay say 100/90w....but I don't believe it
because chinkies are lying *******s....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
just got a set direct from chinky lad....perfect high and low beam
....but instead of 60/55w thay say 100/90w....but I don't believe it
because chinkies are lying *******s....

Illegal in the UK. Maximum allowed for tungsten dip is 55W

BTW, there is quite a bit of difference in light output between car
headlight bulbs with nominally the same wattage. With cheap ones being the
worst. Also halogen bulbs loose efficiency with time.

--
*Why does the sun lighten our hair, but darken our skin?