Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why have we allowed the mains cabling to be used to send signals and crap on?

IE plug internet adaptors, really rubbish wall warts etc, since nowadays
many pieces of equipment like medium wave radios sw radios and the like are
unusable unless you use batteries and sit in the middle of a big field.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It would actually be interesting to find out the percentages of people who predominantly listen to radio on:

FM
DAB
Internet
Freesat
Freeview
LW, MW and SW.

I suspect the latter will be in single figures.....

My in-laws live in a stone farmhouse where (a) WiFi does not travel well and (b) has thick stone walls and wood beams so it is challenging to wire the house up with ethernet..... and (c) it is actually cheaper to use the mains networking than wiring up.

So mains networking allows their smart TV in the lounge to connect to the fibre router in the office upstairs. The distance between the two is less than 10m but just one stone wall blocks the WiFi completely. This is despite living in the countryside and there are no other WiFi networks from neighbours as there aren't any neighbours!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

FM

only during DAB faults

DAB

in the car

Internet

at home this has now become my primary method.

Freesat
Freeview
LW, MW and SW.

almost never

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
It would actually be interesting to find out the percentages of people
who predominantly listen to radio on:

FM

Rarely, unless the car radio go to it from DAB

DAB

In the car and on my bedside radio, Also in our sitting room

Internet

Main listening at home

Freesat

No satellite receiver

Freeview

In the kitchen

LW, MW and SW.

I could almost say 'never'.

I suspect the latter will be in single figures.....

My in-laws live in a stone farmhouse where (a) WiFi does not travel well
and (b) has thick stone walls and wood beams so it is challenging to wire
the house up with ethernet..... and (c) it is actually cheaper to use the
mains networking than wiring up.

We just have hard bricks - not good for wifi or mobile phones. I have 5
mains network outlets for wifi. Alows SWMBO to use her iPad where ever she
wants.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Surely there are underfloor spaces?
Are the stone walls not dry lined with potential cavities behind?

There hand-waves a man who hasn't done much in the way of cable
installation.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2020 12:34, Bill Wright wrote:

Surely there are underfloor spaces?
Are the stone walls not dry lined with potential cavities behind?

There hand-waves a man who hasn't done much in the way of cable
installation.

Bill

You're forgetting he has single-handedly designed everything electronic,
installed broadband everywhere, and built his own house from mud and
twigs, ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2020 12:34, Bill Wright wrote:

Surely there are underfloor spaces?
Are the stone walls not dry lined with potential cavities behind?

There hand-waves a man who hasn't done much in the way of cable
installation.

Bill

At least, not in old properties!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 12 January 2020 11:16:10 UTC, wrote:
It would actually be interesting to find out the percentages of people
who predominantly listen to radio on:

FM - only during a power cut, on the battery portable.
DAB - daily, this feeds the whole house PA system.
Internet - never
Freesat - hardly ever
Freeview - never
LW, MW and SW - never. Freesat has R4 LW and FM variants if I ever wanted it.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
It would actually be interesting to find out the percentages of people who predominantly listen to radio on:

FM

In one car.
DAB

In the other.
Internet

Never
Freesat

Never
Freeview

All radio at home.
LW, MW and SW.

Nothing on that I can't get on the others. So perhaps in the car in an odd
location.

--
*Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

And how many English radio stations are there now left on LW,MW, and SW?

Most if not all are available on other platforms in better audio quality if not in stereo.....

S.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2020 10:11, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
IE plug internet adaptors, really rubbish wall warts etc, since nowadays
many pieces of equipment like medium wave radios sw radios and the like are
unusable unless you use batteries and sit in the middle of a big field.
Brian

much cheapness and convenience for the great unwashed......anyway DAB
is not affected.......but that is for the mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

To Brian,

In all fairness, I would not like my Freeview or Freesat to be affected in the same way as on LW, MW or SW.

As a born profoundly deaf person, I rely on the subtitles and pictures working just like you rely on radio working as it's our link to the outside world.

So I don't use power line networking at my house and just have the minimum of WiFi so that's just tablets or smartphones.

Everything else is all ethernet wired, even the music systems, all smart TVs, all printers and scanners, all network storage etc.

The loft looks like a data centre server room as a result, with over 64 co-ax cables and over 64 ethernet cables coming in

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2020 12:34, Bill Wright wrote:

Surely there are underfloor spaces?
Are the stone walls not dry lined with potential cavities behind?

There hand-waves a man who hasn't done much in the way of cable
installation.

Bill

Not as many as you, but more than a dozen

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2020 12:42, Andrew wrote:
On 12/01/2020 12:34, Bill Wright wrote:

Surely there are underfloor spaces?
Are the stone walls not dry lined with potential cavities behind?

There hand-waves a man who hasn't done much in the way of cable
installation.

Bill

You're forgetting he has single-handedly designed everything electronic,
installed broadband everywhere, and built his own house from mud and
twigs, ...

yep. I pretty much have actually..

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2020 12:43, newshound wrote:
On 12/01/2020 12:34, Bill Wright wrote:

Surely there are underfloor spaces?
Are the stone walls not dry lined with potential cavities behind?

There hand-waves a man who hasn't done much in the way of cable
installation.

Bill

At least, not in old properties!

Not in stone, no, but if you have a raised floor and drylined walls well
its not impossible...
If the walls are plastered onto the stone, well you need to chip out
channels and re plaster

The ex wanted the TV moved: I lifted the laminate and used an angle
grinder to cut a channel in the screed and buried the coax in that.

I will need to run more cat 5 here soon to replace the mains power link:
that will mean ripping off a few square feet of plasterboard, a very
long drill and replace, skim and paint.

You just have to want to do it properly

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 03:16:08 -0800, stephenten wrote:

It would actually be interesting to find out the percentages of people
who predominantly listen to radio on:

FM DAB Internet Freesat Freeview LW, MW and SW.

FM: Me in the office if I'm upgrading the desktop machine, me in the
workshop (Bosch builder's radion, no DAB), me in the car (mostly)

DAB: SWMBO in the kitchen, me in the car unless in Thanet where I have to
use FM

Internet: me in the office most of the time, in the workshop occaionally

Freeview: in the living room if we want radio, till I fettle the Quad
tuner.

LW, MW, SW: practically never

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think we are making ourselves a serious problem. You are in effect making
a huge chunk of the radio spectrum unusable. Mains cabling was never
designed to be used like this and huge powers are used due to the losses in
the system and interference caused by other devices plugged in.
If you want a cable then run it round outside the building then?

Most of the interference from the plug adaptors is from about 4mhz up to
about 32mhz, they have filters fro the ham radio bands but not for the
international short wave bands. The eternal ticking and screeches even about
200 yds away is ridiculous.
The other problem is the switch mode power supply. In the old days they
were analogue with large heavy transformers but did not create interference.
More usually these days there is a very crude rectifier directly on the
mains running a high frequency oscillator of dubious purity and a tiny
transformer and the other side is then controlled and used to drive your
gear. It is far more efficient and if designed without saturating the
ferrite transformer and with proper suppression components need not be an
issue but it is because they makers pair down the design to such an extent
it is just a jammer. Worst ones are often laptop chargers and some led lamps
from China.
Then there is ADSL once again forcing very high data rates along unscreened
twin wire connections originally designed to only carry voice frequencies.
These produce an alternating whining noise and a hash over the whole lf
bands. When they are underground its not so bad of course.
Brian

--
----- --

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Whish reminds me on a local golf course the patrons were complaining of poor
mobile signals, so they have this artificial tree that houses mobile
aerials. I do despair sometimes.
Brian

--
----- --

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 12/01/2020 12:34, Bill Wright wrote:

Surely there are underfloor spaces?
Are the stone walls not dry lined with potential cavities behind?

There hand-waves a man who hasn't done much in the way of cable
installation.

Bill

You're forgetting he has single-handedly designed everything electronic,
installed broadband everywhere, and built his own house from mud and
twigs, ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So all this guff from the router makers about fractal aerial design to
improve penetration of walls is rubbish, then they try to sell you a mesh
system instead. They all forget the one major problem with wifi, that being
the return signal from the devices, and how they have no control over that
at all.

I'm not saying that there is not an obvious use case for using the mains,
I'm just saying that its a very very bad idea due to what it does for
interference levels. What you need is some kind of system like a leaky
feeder which you can wrap around the outside of your house.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 12/01/2020 12:34, Bill Wright wrote:

Surely there are underfloor spaces?
Are the stone walls not dry lined with potential cavities behind?

There hand-waves a man who hasn't done much in the way of cable
installation.

Bill

At least, not in old properties!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Because it is a convenient way to do things.

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

IE plug internet adaptors, really rubbish wall warts etc, since nowadays
many pieces of equipment like medium wave radios sw radios and the like
are unusable unless you use batteries and sit in the middle of a big
field.

That’s only long distance MW which hardly anyone uses anymore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:51 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 03:51:56 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH more of the senile trolling asshole's troll****

03:51??? Is your horrible LONELINESS not letting you sleep in again, senile
Rodent? BG

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)"
writes
Whish reminds me on a local golf course the patrons were complaining of poor
mobile signals, so they have this artificial tree that houses mobile
aerials. I do despair sometimes.

Indeed.

Why do you need a phone signal when you're playing golf ?

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

I think we are making ourselves a serious problem.

I don’t.

You are in effect making a huge chunk of the radio spectrum unusable.

That’s bull****. What still uses that radio spectrum
works fine with mains cabling signalling.

Mains cabling was never designed to be used like this

Just as true of the phone cabling which now
gets used for adsl and vdsl and works fine.

and huge powers are used due to the losses in the system

That’s bull****.

and interference caused by other devices plugged in.

In reality it only affects those who use SW and AM MW.

If you want a cable then run it round outside the building then?

Much more convenient to just plug each end into a mains socket.

Most of the interference from the plug adaptors is from about

4mhz up to about 32mhz, they have filters fro the ham radio
bands but not for the international short wave bands.

But hardly anyone uses the international short
wave bands anymore, so that doesn’t matter.

The eternal ticking and screeches even about 200 yds away is ridiculous.

Most don’t see that because you don’t even get
that with the few that use AM MW radio anymore.

The other problem is the switch mode power supply. In the old days they
were analogue with large heavy transformers but did not create
interference.

More usually these days there is a very crude rectifier directly on the
mains running a high frequency oscillator of dubious purity and a tiny
transformer and the other side is then controlled and used to drive your
gear. It is far more efficient and if designed without saturating the
ferrite transformer and with proper suppression components need not be an
issue but it is because they makers pair down the design to such an extent
it is just a jammer.

And the reality is that few are a problem even if you do
still use AM MW and trivial to replace with a better one
if you have a steaming turd of a wall wart, for peanuts.

Worst ones are often laptop chargers

But trivial to replace with a better designed one.

and some led lamps from China.

And trivial to replace with a better designed one.

Then there is ADSL once again forcing very high data rates along
unscreened twin wire connections originally designed to only carry voice
frequencies. These produce an alternating whining noise and a hash over
the whole lf bands. When they are underground its not so bad of course.

And the reality is that it delivered much faster internet
to everyone than the previous modems did and even
those who still use AM MW don’t notice any problem.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

Whish reminds me on a local golf course the patrons
were complaining of poor mobile signals, so they have
this artificial tree that houses mobile aerials.

I do despair sometimes.

Why do you despair about something like that ?

Makes sense to have decent mobile coverage
in case someone needs to all an ambulance etc.

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 12/01/2020 12:34, Bill Wright wrote:

Surely there are underfloor spaces?
Are the stone walls not dry lined with potential cavities behind?

There hand-waves a man who hasn't done much in the way of cable
installation.

Bill

You're forgetting he has single-handedly designed everything electronic,
installed broadband everywhere, and built his own house from mud and
twigs, ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

So all this guff from the router makers about fractal aerial design to
improve penetration of walls is rubbish,

Nope, there are limitations on what that can do.

I replaced my router when I moved to a vdsl service
and have shared my internet with my neighbours.
The new one now allows them to use my internet
from inside their house, hundreds of feet away
diagonally across the small park between us.

Previously the #2 grandson used to have
to sit on the logs across the park that were
intended to stop cars driving thru the park
and get eaten alive by the mossies in summer.

then they try to sell you a mesh system instead.

Those do work very well indeed.

They all forget the one major problem with wifi, that being the return
signal from the devices, and how they have no control over that at all.

In practice they do work very well indeed,
essentially because its so easy to do very
sensitive receivers in the router.

I'm not saying that there is not an obvious use case for using the mains,
I'm just saying that its a very very bad idea due to what it does for
interference levels.

But the modern reality is that FAR more need
a decent wifi service around their house and
garden now than ever use AM MW, let alone SW,

What you need is some kind of system like a leaky feeder which you can
wrap around the outside of your house.

That doesn’t work with modern house construction that
uses metallised reflective insulation between the house
frame and the outside layer of brick or other cladding
and doesn’t work at all with metal cladding.

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 12/01/2020 12:34, Bill Wright wrote:

Surely there are underfloor spaces?
Are the stone walls not dry lined with potential cavities behind?

There hand-waves a man who hasn't done much in the way of cable
installation.

Bill

At least, not in old properties!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)"
writes
Whish reminds me on a local golf course the patrons were complaining of
poor
mobile signals, so they have this artificial tree that houses mobile
aerials. I do despair sometimes.

Indeed.

Why do you need a phone signal when you're playing golf ?

So that you can call an ambulance if someone has
a medical problem or even when someone trys to
call you to tell you that your house is on fire etc.

Some of us even get real radical and have house
alarm systems that call you if there is a problem
so you can see whats happening and get the cops
to show up and frog march the druggy off to the
cop shop etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)"
writes
Whish reminds me on a local golf course the patrons were complaining of
poor
mobile signals, so they have this artificial tree that houses mobile
aerials. I do despair sometimes.

Indeed.

Why do you need a phone signal when you're playing golf ?

So that you can call an ambulance if someone has
a medical problem

A friend of mine dropped dead on the golf course.

or even when someone trys to
call you to tell you that your house is on fire etc.

Some of us even get real radical and have house
alarm systems that call you if there is a problem

My alarm does that.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 03:16:08 -0800 (PST), wrote:

It would actually be interesting to find out the percentages of people who predominantly listen to radio on:

FM
DAB
Internet
Freesat
Freeview
LW, MW and SW.

All except DAB and Freeview in my case.
--

No deal? No problem! :-D
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
In message , "Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)"
writes
Whish reminds me on a local golf course the patrons were complaining of
poor
mobile signals, so they have this artificial tree that houses mobile
aerials. I do despair sometimes.

Indeed.

Why do you need a phone signal when you're playing golf ?

So that you can call an ambulance if someone has
a medical problem

A friend of mine dropped dead on the golf course.

Yeah, given the age of most of them, they must have
a significant number of those who have a heart attack
or stroke or even just break something falling etc.

or even when someone trys to call you
to tell you that your house is on fire etc.

Some of us even get real radical and have house
alarm systems that call you if there is a problem

My alarm does that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 02:45 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER TWO HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 05:45:56 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

troll****

05:45??? Still wanting to go back to bed, you abnormal senile pest?

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 06:16 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for TWO AND HALF HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 06:16:41 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

troll****

06:16??? ROTFLOL

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 05:36 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for ALMOST TWO HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 05:22:22 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

troll****

05:22??? LOL Always the same abnormal senile story with you, eh, you
abnormal sleepless senile pest?

--
Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 05:33:19 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's latest troll****

05:33??? How miserable can one lonely senile Ozzietard get, eh, senile
Rodent? LOL

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 05:18:34 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I don¢t.

You mean like sleep, you clinically insane sleepless trolling asshole?

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."