Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why have we allowed the mains cabling to be used to send signalsand crap on?

On 12/01/2020 11:16, wrote:
It would actually be interesting to find out the percentages of
people who predominantly listen to radio on:

FM

In the car
DAB

Never
Internet

On PCs and customon built Raspberry PI hifi radio/ripped CD player
Freesat

Not currently
Freeview

On the TVs
LW, MW and SW.

Never.

I suspect the latter will be in single figures.....

My in-laws live in a stone farmhouse where (a) WiFi does not travel
well and (b) has thick stone walls and wood beams so it is
challenging to wire the house up with ethernet..... and (c) it is
actually cheaper to use the mains networking than wiring up.

So mains networking allows their smart TV in the lounge to connect to
the fibre router in the office upstairs. The distance between the two
is less than 10m but just one stone wall blocks the WiFi completely.
This is despite living in the countryside and there are no other WiFi
networks from neighbours as there aren't any neighbours!

I have found power networking to be unreliable and susceptible to mains
trash like CH boiler firing.

Cable it up with ethernet if you want reliability.
Surely there are underfloor spaces?
Are the stone walls not dry lined with potential cavities behind?

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!